“An oasis in the heart of Hay”
Review of Seven Stars B&B

Seven Stars B&B
Ranked #4 of 28 Hay-on-Wye B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Thanks to friends who book from year to year, we were lucky enough to get a room at the Seven Stars during the Hay Festival. What a treat! The Seven Stars is situated so centrally that it makes exploring Hay a real pleasure. With mixed weather during our stay, this was a huge advantage as we were able to pop in and out during the day to change footwear or offload heavy outerwear. Di and her team were exceptional in their welcome and friendliness. Our room was bright and fresh and the bed was very comfortable. The breakfast menu was amazing....I don't think we have ever stayed anywhere with a greater selection of fish....a choice of smoked salmon, kippers or smoked haddock, alongside the usual English breakfast. Also on the breakfast menu was a home made compote which was very good. There was a downstairs lounge for us to relax in and catch up with our friends at the end of the day. We will definitely revisit the Seven Stars. We would like to experience this brilliant little town outside of festival season.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Glynis K

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Another lovely visit to stay with Di at the Seven Stars! If it sounds as though we went to stay with friends - well that's what it feels like. We had room 6 this time - very comfortable, beautifully furnished and spotless!. Thick, luxurious white towels, lovely toiletries and ample tea and coffee- making facilities. The breakfast is delicious - they take pride in using local produce and it tastes delicious - the home-made compote is a special breakfast feature. Di takes an interest in her guests and makes everyone feel a bit special. The staff are really helpful and nothing is too much trouble. The swimming pool is an added bonus and the Seven Stars is situated in the centre of town with everything on the doorstep. My only complaint is to myself - why don't I get there more often!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Prehistoric
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We got a last minute cancellation at this B&B and struck gold. The quaint character of the building was respected in the decor and the breakfast was really good. The B&B is sited in the centre of the main road through town so it was a three minute walk to the globe for the debates and music in the evening (no expensive cab rides needed) and the shuttle bus to the book festival stops right outside (£1 unlimited use per day). The owner could not do enough for us and was full of useful information and tips for getting the most out of the area. Due to our last minute booking we got the only room without a shower, it had a bath, which was lovely but we will opt for a shower next time. This is worth noting if you have mobility problems as getting in and out of the corner bath was not easy but this was easily remedied by using the indoor pool and sauna instead! They were an added bonus and thoroughly enjoyed. We will definitely look to rebook this place to enjoy the festival next year!

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank TracyHatswell
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The hotel was exceptionally clean and all the staff very friendly and helpful. The room was charming and comfortable. The pool and sauna provided fun and relaxation. Our stay at the Seven Stars was extremely pleasurable and excellent value for money. We will have no hesitation in repeating the experience!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Just returned from a weekend break at the Seven Stars I was greeted by Di, the owner, who was very friendly and made me feel at home. The breakfast were outstanding. I really loved the locally smoked haddock. A great change! The pool was gorgeous. The water was very warm. Our room was very pretty. We were given treats on our tea tray of biscuits and chocolates. The whole place was very clean.

Hay is a beautiful town. The wide ranging shops and restaurants were a great find. I cannot wait to return to Hay and the fabulous Seven Stars.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank abi h
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Arrived here for one night as a family group of 4. To be honest I had booked the B&B purely on the excellent reports on TA, and although I have given 4 stars, I would say its more of a 3 1/2. The lady (Diana I think) who greeted us was very welcoming and pleasant, but the reception area was very cluttered, dark, dingy and seemed to be being used an office overflow. Diana went on to helpfully tell us where to go/eat/drink etc, and we did have a very good meal on her recommendation! She showed us to our rooms, which were better decorated and lit than the reception/visiter sitting area downstairs, they were also cleaner than the rest of the building. Whilst I appreciate old buildings will have quirky nooks and crannies, which are lovely, I feel that the Seven Stars would benefit from a good sprucing and freshening up. We didn't use the pool, but it looked nice, breakfast was good, nicely served but not exceptional. We really appreciated the on site parking even though its down a narrow lane. Diana also told us we could leave our cars there if we wanted to explore further which was kind. Finally, I feel that Seven Stars has a lot to offer, but at £188 for 2 B&B rooms per night, it is in need of a little TLC!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
HerefordCrunch, Owner at Seven Stars B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Thank you for your review. I just want to clarify the position regarding room rates. You booked a double room and family room through Booking.Com. You actually, only needed 2 double rooms. The family rooms obviously costs more. On check out, I explained that had you booked directly with me I would only have charged you the rate for a double room. However, I had to charge you the full rate for a family room because Booking.Com charge 15% commission based on the room rate.

I am glad you liked the bedrooms. Your room has been redecorated & the family room revamped in Jan costing £1500. The downstairs is painted magnolia. It is 16 century so the low beams & small windows can make it appear slightly dark. However, I cannot see how I can alter its appearance. I

Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed last weekend at the Seven Stars to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday. 7 other friends also joined us. We received a warm welcome and we were all very satisfied with our rooms. My husband and I were lucky enough to have the Pool Room, which was amazing. That made our weekend - being able to have an early dip before breakfast! The breakfast was fantastic with a large choice - including kippers, smoked haddock, salmon as well as full Welsh breakfast etc. Absolutely delicious and set us up for the day! The location is fantastic. Thoroughly recommend the Seven Stars!!

Room Tip: Pool room!