“Squalor worst campsite in the world”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hay-on-Wye
Hollybush Inn & Campsite
“Squalor worst campsite in the world”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We arrived at Hollybush Inn Hay-on-Wye yesterday 28.05.14 and first impression was filthy, dirty trailer trash yard.The yard was an open chicken and peacock pen!
I received a phone call earlier from Barbra who demanded another £50.00 from me as I had booked my £49.00 voucher during the Hay book festival - I paid as thought we'd have a great time. Barbra told me it was the busiest week and shed be packed. She said my teenage daughters our dog and I would have a fantastic time, with lots of activities and walks.
We arrived at 2.30pm. Barbra reminded us it was 3pm booking in time. She questioned the dog and said, she hoped I was a responsible dog ownerI I wasn't to let the dog of the lead at any time. Barbra was intimidating, my daughters were wary of her. We were introduced to a man who told us our tipi was wet and he needed to throw some straw down, I couldn't believe what I was hearing! Then the money grabbing blood thirst hound Barbra charged us more money for kindling, wood and fire lighters, disputing the advertised free bag of wood id seen advertised. (bear in mi d i paid the £49.00 deal plus an additional £50.00 for the privilege of the festival) £100.00 in total. I told Barbra my phone needed chafing - she advices me to look elsewhere to re charge it. (Excuse me! What had I paid £109.00 for?)
I'd like this complaint to be made public.
I have photographs of the tipi, Barbra may wish to update her website advert for a more authentic one?The tipi was the filthiest most disgusting thing I have ever seen. I was bitten as soon as I walked in, from the damp dirty flooring. We had to bring all our own bedding which was gathering mud.
Incidentally I haven't always stayed in 5* hotels, I've lived in India for a year and lived in a squat in Peckham & Amsterdam! - but this campsite and tipi is on the top of most vile filthiest places to stay.
The door of the tipi wouldn't shut and the man said this is how it was, he offered no assistance.
Barbra is obnoxious, rude and money orientated.
The bathroom stank of urine and hasn't been cleaned, no toilet paper etc.
We decided not to eat in yak de yak restaurant as it had peacock poo at the entrance and the chief constantly smoking by the bins. It looked a disgrace!
Had the camping been £6.00 per night then I would not complain, bear in mind it's £50.00 per night!!!!!
Basically the sight is uninhabitable, we stayed itching in the tipi for an hour and decided to leave.
From Barbra's website I was lead to believe we'd be experiencing "glamping" not 3rd world anthropology.
An investigation re hygiene standard into Hollybush Inn is urgently needed . I shall be sending photographs they're on my daughters phone, mine ran out of charge. I think Barbra needs to replace her Tipis and put down wood chipping as the sight is a mud & chicken poo fest!

• Stayed May 2014
5 Thank EeeeeeeeeW

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
bristol
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Dined here a few weeks ago and pleased we did..just out of hay on wye on the Brecon road..doesn't look much if your driving past,but a very cosy atmo and the food very good with great service..the guys are renting this property so hope they can make it work as they deserve to be a success.dont drive on by,you will be pleased you stopped..

Room Tip: Not reviewing accommodation-just the yak-y-da restaurant.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dave t
TEWKESBURY
Reviewed 21 May 2014

To be fair, on a groupon deal its very good value, but when we went in March, the relatively new owners had a lot to learn!! Positives? The restaurant does superb Nepalese food as the chef hails from this land. They serve Buttybach Ale...my favourite! They were lovely staff even though they didn't understand everything we said to them! The room was spacious, clean and warm and freshly redecorated (although amateurishly). So if you like cheap and cheerful and you fancy the "Kayak option" for a tenner...then you can't go wrong.
Now the negatives....room...don't use the hot water at the same time as the rest of the Inn .. you might not get any!...no kettle (apparently it trips the whole pubs electrics ...we had to wait til breakfast for a hot drink ....ah ...breakfast!! ummm ..."continental" was all that was on offer, and when I say continental .. it consisted of a choice of a few cereals, brown toast, coffee & tea.... that was it!! ...on our first night we were lucky to book the restaurant as it was VERY busy... because it was exceptionally good... but the Buttybach had allegedly run out!...but on closer questioning the bar steward was having trouble with the beer tap... with a little persuasion and help ..we got the tap working, but I HAD TO PERSEVERE!. All in all, we had a good laugh about the stay and overall enjoyed it as ... for £25 for 2 per night what more could you expect!!
Hope they get it right as they were genuinely nice guys!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank IAN S

Travellers are raving about these Hay-on-Wye hotels

Burnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

What can I say - My son, his mate and I had a great few nights away staying on this site. Just to get the negatives over with first - the site is far from spick and span and if your idea of camping is pulling up with your caravan and parking neatly in rows then this site is not for you. However if you love wild camping, being able to choose your spot in amongst the beautiful woods, overlooking the wonderful river building your own fire, cooking your own food,ie proper camping then read on.
What was really great was our day out with Barbra on the bush craft day. Her knowlege is immense and we had great fun forging for food cannoing, building a hugh fire on the beach, cooking our food etc etc. It was one of those days that we will always remember. The raft buuilding the next day was also great fun - and the raft floated (mainly thanks to Barbara's raft building skills).
If you ask the question would we go again - yes definately it is a beautiful spot, lovely staff but the washing facilities do definately need sorting.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Helen O
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I can see why people don't like this site but me my partner and our 2 children really loved it !
so ok the toilets were basic but i have stayed in far worse places due to working away a lot and had to pay a lot more for it this place is full of character and charm there is not a great deal of places like this one we had a lot of fun in the woods and down by the river the kids loved the chickens and peacocks that are on the site we all thoroughly enjoyed the canoeing and felt the instructions were very informative just being able to have a fire in the tipi was great we did take our own wood and kindling but it seemed reasonably priced all the staff on the camp site were great and couldn't do enough to help us we had a BBQ on the first night but after being told how good the Thai and Nepalese food was in the pub decided to eat there on the second night the staff in the pub were really lovely people we did have a bit of a wait for the food but they were extremely busy and the food was well worth the wait !in all we had a great time but i do think we went quite prepared having been told to take any luxury's we needed with us air beds chairs BBQ we will be going back one day as we really enjoyed it

Room Tip: book a table in the restaurant in advance
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 68Geordie68
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

This place is absolutely beautiful with roaming peacocks, green woodland and being right on the River Wye.
I went with a bunch of friends and enjoyed a quiet spot in the lower woodland where we didn't have to worry about making noise and stayed up round the fire all night.
Barbara (the owner) is committed to preserving the untouched unnatural setting which is why this place is perfect for anyone wanting a simple back to basics camping experience.

The food at the pub is incredible and cheap, I can personally recommend the Gerka's delight lamb!

I know hollybush has had some bad reviews but they all sound like people who are looking for a 5 star hotel rather than a beautiful country retreat and I couldn't recommend it more!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nathan S
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

You know that feeling when something really bad is happening to you and you just can't believe it? Thats how me and my boyfriend felt when the (completely drunk man in charge) showed us our tipi.
First of all the carpets were disgusting, smelt really bad and full of ash and filth. We were surrounded by insects as the tipi wasn't even connected to the ground properly and had holes in it as well as the mould on the outside. We checked more of the tipis and they were just as bad as this.
As we didn't have any other option, we had to spend a night in there and it definitely was the worst night ever. Woke up in the morning breathing out the smoke from the fire. The tipi wouldn't allow the smoke to escape properly which meant we were breathing in the smoke in our sleep.

If you decide to do canoeing, you either bring your own wetsuit, wear your casual clothes or pay £5 for the terrible wetsuit from Barbara which I'm sure has never been washed. Smells of sweat of people wearing it before. Disgusting. And then you'll have to be listening to Barbara's instructions about how to use the canoe, which takes probably an hour, but once you're on the river, you realise, nothing she said made sense and you easily figure it out on your own. The way she spoke to us made me realise that she doesn't really know how to work with people, or how to take care of her customers. And this kind of thing can ruin your holidays very easily.

We found another accommodation in Hay on Wye where we spent our second night and decided to pick up our stuff from the tipi the following morning. Arrived there, everything was okay, until the drunk man in charge asked us about our trip. When we said it wasn't really what we expected and we weren't happy, he got really angry and aggressive, wouldn't let us pick our stuff and just go. We only got £5 back for the wood we bought and didn't even open, because apparently he didn't have any money.

Oh and another interesting thing. Be careful about the prices (wood etc..) Barbara charged us more for the wood than the other man and as the board with prices was gone the next day, we couldn't prove it.

Seriously, the worst experience ever, never ever coming back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank SuziDr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hay-on-Wye
The Swan at Hay
The Baskerville Arms
Old Black Lion
Old Black Lion
#3 of 29 in Hay-on-Wye

Been to Hollybush Inn & Campsite? Share your experiences!