“A place where memories are made!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hay-on-Wye
Hollybush Inn & Campsite
“A place where memories are made!”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We had a wonderful, magical weekend here - hollybush manages to blend a real close to nature feel with all the facilities needed to keep it convenient & stress free. Reading other reviews, I can see why people might be disappointed if looking for 'luxury' - glamping it is not. This is a real place in the real outdoors, which means yes you may end up stepping in the odd bit of animal muck, share your camping space & toilets with a few cobwebs & spiders & some mildew,have a swallow fly in for a peek whilst you are showering, a passing horse poke it's head into your vehicle & be woken up at various hours to the calls of different birds (all happened to us!). But.. we found these things make for wonderful memories. Add in hours spent throwing pebbles,catching fish & splashing about in the nearby river, hunting for peacock feathers, exploring the nearby forest full of flora & fauna, bouncing on the 'secret' trampoline & having a couple of pretty good meals at the on-site Nepalese restaurant when we needed cover from the rain & I honestly can't think of anything that would make it any better. Except next time we need to make it canoeing as we just couldn't squeeze it in! Some reviewers have raised issues with the staff - personally we couldn't fault them. We really got the feeling they pour their hearts & souls into the place: but they are not prepared to sacrifice the wellbeing of the range of animals they have on site, nor the natural environment they maintain for the sake of paying customers, so if they seem a bit strict about some things or a bit short at times then I think that might be why...we couldn't have found them more helpful & accomodating, even down to hand making a net for our daughter to fish with & pulling that elusive peacock's feather out of the hat for us just when we'd almost given up finding one! Thank you hollybush, I think our 3 yr old & us will remember this for some time to come & we will definitely be back x

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Inn for 2 nights and had a great time, felt super relaxed in the hotel due to the friendly, laid-back staff. The location is wonderful, set right on the river Wye and with peacocks and adorable chickens roaming free - which gave us a good impression of the animal-loving owner! We stayed in the Pink room which was really spacious with a comfy (king-size I think), bed and a free-standing bath tub. The room was clean and cosy, we had quite a few eight-legged friends but it's an old house in the countryside so to be expected.

There's a great little campsite shop run by Daniel who was really helpful and charming - we almost bought his old VW camper during our stay! He also briefed us for the canoe trip we had booked...and he made us a picnic to take with us :) The 8 mile canoe trip was the highlight of our stay and a great facility that the Hollybush has to offer. One thing to be prepared for is that Barbara is supposed to come and pick you up from the pub in Witney - but much to our bemusement she picked up all the canoes and drove back 3 guests who could drive, who then had to come back and pick up the rest of us! We don't have a car so it was really funny when she turned to us and asked how we were planning on getting back! This seemed to annoy a few people but we just found it hilarious and actually had a nice ride back with a couple we'd been chilling with at the pub.

Another highlight of the Hollybush is the Nepalese/Thai restaurant...the food was DELICIOUS! I recommend trying the traditional Nepalese curry, (can't remember the name), but it's served with lentil soup and poppadoms and is really yummy.

In general I would recommend open-minded people coming here - for those who have left bad reviews when you've paid £70 for 2 nights in a room, inc breakfast in such a beautiful area, (near to the Brecon Beacons), then shame on you! If you're an interior design snob then don't bother....but if you're wanting a fun break where you can go canoeing, walk through mountains, hang out with some peacocks and eat incredible curry then give it a try!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

We took advantage of the groupon offer for a 2 night stay in a tipi.
Before we arrived I had a quick look at the website for the campsite and noted the dated images that were clearly taken sometime ago, along with the image of the owner bathing in the river in next to nothing! Hoping that I wouldn't see similar sights when we visited, but it appeared to suggest a small, well presented site.
We arrived to find a large pile of waste at the entrance; clearly not collected for sometime and the restaurant building looked as though it could do with a lick of paint on the external walls.
Needless to say we drove on down the entrance to be greeted by the owner in the so called bar and shop for the site - nothing more than a garden shed with a beer keg inside.
We were shown to our tipi by Kieran - very helpful chap who advised us of the dos and don'ts of the site, where the river was and asked whether we were interested in a kayak trip during our stay. (we decided not)
We were not expecting a glamping experience, but 4 out of the 5 tipis all appeared as though they had been there for a while and as though they could do with a clean or new canvas and the rugs inside definitely need changing!
We unpacked and decided to explore the site - we got to the rivers edge to be greeted by the owner in her swimming costume - washing her hair in the river.
We swiftly went elsewhere - looking around the site, we came to the conclusion that the site had many little projects on the go - New sinks being installed to wash up; near the toilet block, New access track to the tipi area being made (exposed mains electric cable on the ground), steps to the tipi area being created, the makings of a wall near the car park and a shower block near the tipi area that was out out order.
Although the site is set in a very beautiful wooded area - there were some not so present sights - the main one being the half dozen or so tatty old caravans.
The toilet/shower block stank of urine, with cubicle doors that had holes in, that were covered up with beer mats and gaffer tape.
Needless to say we tried to ignore the negatives and make the most of the time we had - we had really nice tipi neighbors and enjoyed the evenings sat around the communal camp fire having a laugh and drink!!
The surrounding towns and villages are lovely, just a shame that this site doesn't match this.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Matt H

Travellers are raving about these Hay-on-Wye hotels

Ashbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Me and stayed partner stayed here this weekend just gone and had a fantastic time, great friendly staff and clean facilities!
The showers were powerful and hot with shower curtains so you clothes didn't get wet.
Great new washing up facilities for your pots seem to have been fitted by the onsite builder.
Went canoeing with a couple of mates that turned up and had an awesome time.
Not sure if the people who left the last reviews have actually stayed here as we had such a great time! really looking forward to returning in a few weeks.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kieran J
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Absolutely appalling, the owner is a complete charlatan and a thief. Do not have anything to do with this establishment it is a unhygienic death trap! The facilities are a joke there are no facilities and the canoes are potentially lethal. DO NOT STAY HERE DO NOT HIRE A CANOE HERE. There are much better camp sites locally and much better canoe hire businesses - go to Wye Valley Canoes or Celtic Canoes or Pedals and Paddles or Black Mountain Activities - basically anywhere but here! I cannot stress how appalling this place is - heed my warning stay away stay well away!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Linda K
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival with my family, I was dubious about the campsite. I tried however to keep an open mind & not to be judgemental without giving the place a go. We we're greeted by Daniel; who clearly drinks too much & was sporting a fake injury. We found our pitch to camp determined to make the best of what seemed rough & tumble campsite. When camping you don't expect luxury. The Hollybush has some positives the surroundings are beautiful. Barbara although determined to have fresh produce on show she should really spend more time adopting a fresh attitude. She's rude & unprofessional, I will never return to this site.

We were quietly enjoying a camp fire whilst my 2 year old slept & Barbara came along shouting and kicking dirt over our fire, she was unbelievably rude & uncalled for as I said we were quietly enjoying ourselves. This wasn't an isolated incident she was very rude to friends of mine for laughing out loud saying they were too loud, although they were camping next to the campsite bar which was very loud. ..With Daniel drunkenly running the place. Daniel is constantly drunk & out of control he should not deal with the public let alone near children in that state.

Overall I was deeply disappointed with not only the lack of facilities, they haven't even got a place to wash your dishes but most importantly the really poor way the site was run. There are only 2 people of any worth at this site Martin & Keiron they were really kind & genuine, unfortunately though their behaviour was overshadowed by the disgrace of Barbara & Daniel. I hope you read this & take on board my comments as I haven't written this review lightly I really don't like being negative but I felt I had to pass on my thoughts

• Stayed May 2014
6 Thank Tittepharas
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed here end of May. The pictures on the website and Groupon look great but it's not what you actually get. The place is just pure filth and mud with no attempt to improve it. I was told it was because of the bad weather over the weekend - I'm not so sure. There are bags of rubbish stored in various places around the site and the bins are overflowing. The tipis are disgusting and uncared for as is the rest of the place. I don't mind dirt or mud but this is far more and far worse. Was also promised a canoe voucher which I never received (in breech of cancellation policy I believe) so lost money on this trip also. Not particularly friendly either! It could be such a nice place but it is far from it.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Pheedoodle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hay-on-Wye
The Swan at Hay
Old Black Lion
Old Black Lion
#3 of 29 in Hay-on-Wye
The Baskerville Arms

Been to Hollybush Inn & Campsite? Share your experiences!