“Regularly Decent Food for those in the know”

The Pavilion Gardens
Ranked #46 of 114 Restaurants in Buxton
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Firstly, I can't believe that this cafe, part of the superb Pavilion Gardens at Buxton, is not yet on tripadvisor. However, I can't find it, and it isn't the cafe on the green, so here goes ...

We stopped here on friday to visit the Buxton Antiques Fair and had lunch before we went in. There are plenty of seats in the restaurant, (as well as a designated kiddy play area) and the place was pretty busy. We ordered fish & chips, which when it arrived, was excellent. To be fair, we've been several times before, over several years, and it's usually excellent.

Not really sure I want to say much more about the restaurant, its fairly unassuming, with friendly waitresses and moderately inexpensive. Toilets are clean and on the ground level.

The pavilion gardens complex itself is massive, (and has its own website). The car parking is adjacent and reasonable, and being next to the gardens, is a great place to spend an afternoon. The gift shop, alongside the cafe is also excellent, with a varied selection of books, art, gifts etc etc.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We ate here recently on a weekday lunch time. The restaurant area itself is quite nice (and separate from the café next door). The seating is comfortable and plenty of room for prams etc. There's also a children's soft play area which is good.

Service was a ok, but they could really do with deciding if it's a restaurant or a café, it's a bit half and half at the moment service wise. You wait in a waiting area and are then shown to a table. The order is taken at the table for both food and drinks, but instead of the staff asking if you've finished after the meal and giving you an opportunity to ask for desert or the bill, they expect you to go up and get the bill yourself (as instructed on the table card) which I found a bit weird. Either offer table service or don't, a half way house just doesn't work in my opinion.

The food wasn't bad though; there were 4 adults and 1 toddler in our party and no complaints from anyone. I wouldn't say it was a bargain price wise, but not bad value.

Overall, it's quite a nice venue and I would visit again if I was passing.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Usual self service type of meals for speed but the Toasted Sandwiches need to be speeded up, an extra machine would help. I chose several cold Sandwiches 4 drinks and a Toasted Bacon/Cheese, by the time the toasted one was ready the drinks were only lukewarm.
Only a small dining area but tables were cleared and cleaned very quickly, temps coped quite well under the circumstances.
good central location for the Exhibitions and Toilets, some disabled access but rather congested at busy times.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Poor quality, overpriced and apalling hygiene - and the attached cafe is worse . Dont for goodness sake buy an ice cream for a child from there

2  Thank p a
Reviewed 31 March 2014

In contrast to the two reviews I've just read, I beg to differ. We have eaten here on a couple of occasions, just a light lunch, and have never had cause to complain. The place is big and quite busy and I am always surprised how quickly we get served. I had a jacket potato with chilli and salad which was lovely. You really do get a salad, not a couple of lettuce leaves and half a tomato. The prices I think are appropriate, Derbyshire eating is never really cheap. I would go back again, both for the food and the location.