“A magnificent building with a fascinating history.”
Review of The Dome

The Dome
Ranked #7 of 33 things to do in Buxton
newark on trent
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“A magnificent building with a fascinating history.”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This enormous building was made for housing horses and then became a hospital after the 1st world war. Inside takes your breath away.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank ann h

Buxton, United Kingdom
90 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 136 helpful votes
“A great building to visit”
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

I have been visiting the Dome for several years either for a pre-booked evening meal, a cup of coffee, attending a fair or, recently, for a wedding. Although a university building (part of the University of Derby) access is free and I have taken visitors just to marvel at the magnificent architecture and the vast space beneath the Dome. The acoustics are wonderful. And, if not myself, one or two of my friends can attest to the quality of a spa treatment session there.

I would recommend the Dome to anyone visiting the town as it is so central and easy to find. As an alternative to a high street coffee house, there is more to see, it is inexpensive and quite rejuvenating to sit and chat with friends surrounded by students!

2 Thank mercuryderbyshire
Ormskirk
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Booked a treatment here and was really looking forward to it. When I entered I was greeted by a member of staff who quickly passed me off to a second staff member. I was asked to fill in a customer questionnaire. This was then taken by a third who also showed to the relaxation area. This area contained 8 loungers wedged into a small room that has dimmed lighting and a water feature that did nothing other than make me want to use the bathroom. I was left there for 25 mins before being taken through for my treatment. I was shown to a treatment room asked a couple of questions and left to get changed. A further 10 mins later the therapist returned and commenced the treatment. It was passable and was not a quality experience. I wish I could be more positive but not only did I not feel pampered I felt shortchanged. The 60mins treatment was in fact 35 mins and staff were really disinterested.

Visited June 2014
4 Thank SpaGoer7
Wiltshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Devonshire Spa - a little gem.”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This was my first visit to Buxton and the Devonshire Dome. The staff were welcoming and professional and it was lovely being able to make use of the facilities before our treatments. I had a facial which was very good. I felt totally relaxed afterwards and appreciated the chill out room whilst waiting for my friend to finish her treatment. All in all a surprising and enjoyable experience and I hope to make a return visit very soon.

Visited May 2014
Derbyshire
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Devonshire Spa - small but perfectly formed!”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My first visit to the Devonshire Spa and I am incredibly impressed. The treatment price (which was very reasonable) included use of the spa facilities for an hour beforehand - I knew the facilities were compact so didn't think we would find enough to keep us occupied but I was so wrong - we definitely underestimated this place! The changing facilities are immaculate and guests are provided with lovely oversized towelling robes and towels, a good range of complimentary refreshments are on offer - you just need to bring flipflops, swimming costume and a £1 coin for the lockers.
I had an Elemis anti-aging facial from a fantastic male therapist - it was the best facial I've ever had without exception.
Also worth mentioning how helpful and patient the reception team were after one of our party changed treatments at short notice and another sadly had to drop out.
I can highly recommend the Devonshire Spa, great facilities, fantastic value and brilliant therapists - will definitely be back!

Visited May 2014