“The Dome”
Review of The Dome

The Dome
Ranked #8 of 36 things to do in Buxton
Reviewed 10 July 2014

A quick walk round this on our last morning, wonderful building being made good use of by students, weddings can be held there too. The glass dome in the roof is spectacular.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

This enormous building was made for housing horses and then became a hospital after the 1st world war. Inside takes your breath away.

1  Thank ann h
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

I have been visiting the Dome for several years either for a pre-booked evening meal, a cup of coffee, attending a fair or, recently, for a wedding. Although a university building (part of the University of Derby) access is free and I have taken visitors just to marvel at the magnificent architecture and the vast space beneath the Dome. The acoustics are wonderful. And, if not myself, one or two of my friends can attest to the quality of a spa treatment session there.

I would recommend the Dome to anyone visiting the town as it is so central and easy to find. As an alternative to a high street coffee house, there is more to see, it is inexpensive and quite rejuvenating to sit and chat with friends surrounded by students!

2  Thank mercuryderbyshire
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Booked a treatment here and was really looking forward to it. When I entered I was greeted by a member of staff who quickly passed me off to a second staff member. I was asked to fill in a customer questionnaire. This was then taken by a third who also showed to the relaxation area. This area contained 8 loungers wedged into a small room that has dimmed lighting and a water feature that did nothing other than make me want to use the bathroom. I was left there for 25 mins before being taken through for my treatment. I was shown to a treatment room asked a couple of questions and left to get changed. A further 10 mins later the therapist returned and commenced the treatment. It was passable and was not a quality experience. I wish I could be more positive but not only did I not feel pampered I felt shortchanged. The 60mins treatment was in fact 35 mins and staff were really disinterested.

4  Thank SpaGoer7
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This was my first visit to Buxton and the Devonshire Dome. The staff were welcoming and professional and it was lovely being able to make use of the facilities before our treatments. I had a facial which was very good. I felt totally relaxed afterwards and appreciated the chill out room whilst waiting for my friend to finish her treatment. All in all a surprising and enjoyable experience and I hope to make a return visit very soon.