The Palace Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Hollin Hall Hotel(Macclesfield)
US$79
US$77
No availability for your dates from our partners
3,181 results
All reviewsgrand old hotelgrand staircasesweeping staircasecourse mealbuffet stylebit datedshort breakopera houselovely viewfull englishchandelierscharacterderbyshire
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I turned up here at 10:30 at night on a bicycle, hungry, tired, dirty and sweaty from a day on the road. Having failed to find a B&B at that time of night, the Palace was my last hope. Despite my not being the usual sort of Palace Hotel customer, the friendly and efficient receptionist found me a room for a surprisingly reasonable price. Had hot shower, ordered sandwich and a pint in the bar, perfect.

Next morning I had intended to set off early but the buffet breakfast was so good that I lounged around for an hour, drinking coffee and reading the paper. It was so pleasant I didn't want to leave.

Lovely place.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank HebdenBiker
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I wrote quite a negative review about the hotel in April, a copy of which I sent to 'Barcelo' Hotels. Meanwhile 'Barcelo' had handed back the keys of the Palace and all their other British hotels, I believe, to their landlord, 'Puma' and returned to Spain. I received a detailed e-mail back from the new management addressing each of my points and apologising for the shortcomings I highlighted; they also offered a free nights accommodation. I accepted and paid for another night to make it into a 'mini-break. The receptionist was pleasant and efficient and our room, 217, was a suite bigger than our house! The bed was huge and comfortable and the newly refurbed bathroom was well equipped with high quality toiletries and fluffy towels. The sun shone, Richard Thompson at the beautiful Opera House was brilliant and the meal at the 'Columbine' magnificent. It is undeniable that the old hotel needs a lot of tlc but improvements our being made. It is also undeniable that the 'Palace' is full of charm and character and our trip this time was fabulous.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the front; if you can book a suite!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DHC8
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We spent two days at The Palace Hotel and had a lovely time. On arrival we received a free upgrade to a Premium room and were served a very nice afternoon tea. When we couldn't eat it all the waitress was happy to box it up so that we could eat it later..
The hotel is Victorian and,as such, has a certain 'faded elegance'. But, this is in its favour. The sense of history about the building is wonderful.
We visited Eyam and had a wander around Buxton's shops before a meal in one of the town's restaurants.
All in all - a great break and one that I would recommend.

Room Tip: Room 112 is large and well decorated with great views over Buxton.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gill P
Reviewed 26 July 2012

An experience to stay in such a building but it had its problems as others have said. Much of the decor and many rooms are dismal in outlook (at the back) and by way of outdated furnishings. Some upholstery downstairs needed attention too but the manager said this would be attended to. The gardens were much used during a hot week in May and Buxton is a good base for visiting Derbyshire. The highlight of the hotel, for us, was the dining room and the food. The staff were helpful and the cuisine excellent.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front that have been refurbished would seem a good choice.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lostalicia
Reviewed 26 July 2012

During the Buxton Opera Festival I stayed for six days in this Victorian style hotel overlooking the town. Both the hotel and town have lots of charm and character. The room was old fashioned and the floor boards creaked and there was no air conditioning and some windows wouldn't open.
But I loved its setting. The food was good and the staff were wonderful. The leisure pool was good but a leaking radiator in the changing area was a blot on a fine experience.The hotel is within walking distance of the Opera House and Train station.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business