“Old and new come together beautifully”
Review of The Palace Hotel

The Palace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Ontario
“Old and new come together beautifully”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I had the chance to stay here for a religious gathering at the beginning of October of 2012. The hotel greets you from the road with a well-maintained facade that speaks of decades ago, yet once inside everything is lively and modernistic yet still deliciously vintage. The front desk staff was courteous and helpful and made sure everything was in good order. Our room keys were given to us and upon finishing the ride in the elevator, we made our way to the room and were greeted with cute elephant-like characters on the beds sculpted from towels and the room was orderly and clean. The room was nice and spacious and lacked no amount of light, the window was kind of heavy but with gentleness we managed to get it open when needed. The bathroom was larger than expected, and the crowning touch... a heated towel rack. Fabulous. The bar downstairs also doubled as a sitting/lounging area, complete with comfy couches and tables, excellent for conversation with others or some simple alone time. The ballroom was ours exclusively and it is very beautiful, not that everyone will need to be there but I figure it's worth mentioning. The Robert Rippon bar next to the ballroom is a fine place for a quick meal during its open hours which you will need to check up on, but otherwise a great place for a quick lunch or a pint or two with a friend. The main restaurant was delicious, and if you can get the breakfast and dinner included in your room price, it is well worth the price. Delicious appetizers and amazing main courses are brought to you by courteous and jovial waiters/waitresses, and if something is out of place it is handled by the dining hall manager immediately and without hassle. The location is wonderful, close to the main areas of the town and there is an arboretum/public garden that you can enjoy just minutes from the front steps of the hotel. I greatly enjoyed my stay here and given the opportunity to go back to Buxton I would make no hesitation to stay here again, it made the Festival just that much more enjoyable and memorable and my first trip to England an absolute delight.

Room Tip: Room 101 is fabulous if you don't mind separate beds. Ask if they can put you in a room close by...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Puritania
DGraham77, Front Office Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 13 April 2013
Thank you very much for the in depth review, I appreciate all the comments made. I hope you will get chance to visit England and Buxton again and consider using us in the event.

The Palace Hotel, Puma Hotels' Collection

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (673)
Harrogate, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed only one night but we had a lovely time. The restaurant was romantic, the food and service of a high standard. The Palace Suite had great views with a lovely calmness to it, the decor was spot on for the experience. The Spa treatment was good, we were treated well. All staff were courteous, professional and helpful. The location was fantastic. We would love to go back ... :-)

Room Tip: We stayed in The Palace Suite with great views over the town, so can recommend a Room with a View...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
I am pleased you had the chance to stay in the Palace Suite whilst you were with us, it is a fantastic and does have amazing views of the town. I will pass on your comments regarding treatments to the spa and I really appreciate the comments regarding the staff. I hope we see you again in the near future.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

All the staff were wonderful and very keen to help carry out all requests. There was a small problem with our booking but it was very quickly resolved. Rooms were fantastic, spacious and well presented.
A definite recommendation.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Many thanks for the review and the comments regarding the staff. I am pleased to hear that you would recommend us and that you enjoyed your stay.

Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The Hotel was clean, the bed comfortable, room very quiet and peaceful and the staff could not be more helpful, would definately recommend to anyone. Only stayed one night but we were really comfortable, don't like staying hotels because usually find they are noisy places, but slept very well, heard nothing all night. Had a room service meal which was very good, breakfast was busy and a bit of a scrabble to get to toasters etc. but everyone very friendly I really didn't mind.

Room Tip: We had a double on the back of hotel, the bed was enormous and we slept really well because it was s...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review. I am extremely pleased that your stay was comfortable and enjoyable, I hope you return to stay with us and thank you in advance for recommending us to others.

Wirral
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My husband and I stayed for a 3 night break in March, all the staff are very helpful and friendly. We had a premier room on the first floor, plenty of space in the room and the views over Buxton and the surrounding area from the floor to ceiling windows were fantastic. The hotel itself is very large and there appears to be miles of corridors and a lot of wasted space, I was not impressed with the treatment area, which I think has been stuck in the old servants quarters, and the hot stones massage and body wrap were definitely not worth the money. I have no complaint over the meals, which were hot, tasty and well presented but the lighting was that dim in the dining room it was hard to read the menu. Lovely comfortable seating in the bar area but more like a small theatre bar than the bar for a large hotel and the lift was out of the ark and had a mind of its own! The hotel needs some TLC and smartening up, but having said all that thoroughly enjoyed our 3 night break which was very relaxing and yes I would go again

Room Tip: Rooms on first floor over looking the gardens
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay at The Palace and found our staff attentive and friendly. I apologise that some things did not meet your expectations but am pleased that you will stay with us again.

Essex
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We had a champagne afternoon tea spa package with treatments booked direct with the hotel. The hotel is beautiful from the outside and the reception area is impressive however when you look closer the place is dirty, old and in desperate need of TLC. The swimming pool, steam room and sauna were unwelcoming and changing rooms were drab & cold. On a positive note the treatments (massage & facial) were good.

The afternoon tea was nice but not the best I've had and service was very slow.
Unfortunately we won't be returning.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank YsanneBean
DGraham77, Front Office Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
I apologise that you did not fully enjoy your spa day, I will pass on your comments to the leisure club manager. If you would like to discuss your experience further please contact the hotel on 01298 22001.

The Palace Hotel, Puma Hotels' Collection

Travellers are raving about these Buxton hotels

Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night bed and breakfast this week to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Got a cheap deal via the internet so didn't expect the standard that we were met with. The staff & service was second to none. The room was clean and tidy but wasn't particularly big - the bed was enormous and possibly the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in. Our room overlooked the front of the hotel and the views were magnificent. The leisure facilities were excellent and the breakfast delicious. We loved how grand the hotel was from the chandeliers to the sweeping staircase. Our stay was an absolute delight and I would highly recommend a stay in this beautiful old building.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would recommend us too. It is lovely to recieve comments such as these about our staff and the quality of their service. We also love to recieve comments regarding the building and it's character. Thank you for reviewing your stay, I hope you return soon.

The Palace Hotel, Puma Hotels' Collection
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
New Bath Hotel and Spa
New Bath Hotel and Spa
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath
The Westminster Hotel

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!