“Nice break”
Review of The Palace Hotel

The Palace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Big impressive hotel, although a bit dated. Could do with a good lick of paint and updating. Thought it would have been a bit fuddy duddy but there were all ages mulling around. Room again a bit dated but it was clean. We didnt eat there fir evening meal but breakfast was good although could have been a lot warmer but it is self service. Bar prices were a bit argh, lager and a wine £12.50 eek. Think they are a bit cheeky charging £4.50 for car park when you have paid £98 for a nights stay.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank eiei2005
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear eiei2005

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your stay at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

I was delighted to read your kind comments about the your stay, please be assured that I will pass your comments onto the team. I do understand your concerns about the hotel appearing tired and we are working our way through a bedroom redecoration programme to improve this. Perhaps when you are next staying with us you could contact me directly and I will ensure that you receive one of these rooms and I’m sure that you will be impressed with the work that we have done.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I stayed at the Palace hotel to make use of the spa facilities, booked via spabreaks.com, with my mum as a treat. It is a wonderful building in a great location in Buxton, and is classed as 4 stars. However, it just lacks quality in some areas although the staff are all very friendly and efficient. I feel we got excellent value for money with a dinner, bed and breakfast and spa session, but would be reluctant to pay full price to stay here again. It would be interesting to see the bedrooms that have been improved - whilst our twin room was spacious and clean, it was very basic. The bathroom was definitely overdue for renovation!
We enjoyed a 3 course dinner at the hotel, and were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. Everything was prepared freshly, and presented well, and most importantly tasted lovely. Breakfast was also very good, no complaints at all.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Michelle C

Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

We visited the Palace Hotel for an overnight stay on Saturday 15th February 2014. We were attending a wedding reception at the Pavilion Gardens so the hotel was well situated for this. We arrived in the afternoon and the receptionist checked us in very efficiently, explained the arrangements for breakfast and directed us to our room on the second floor. We booked a superior room, which was located at the front of the hotel overlooking the gardens with a lovely view of the town and the pennines in the near distance. The room was quite large, very clean and comfortable, with a large double bed which was firm and comfy. The bathroom was very large too. Also, very clean with a bath/shower, loo and a lovely sink vanity area with a good selection of complimentary toiletries. There was a tray of tea and coffee making facilities in the room, under the large flat screen television which we didn't use as neither of us drink hot drinks. However there was two small bottles of spring water in the room, which was nice... :-) Ironic that we were staying in Buxton, a beautiful spa town and the water was Highland Spring...We had a great night's sleep and breakfast in the morning was lovely! The buffet style breakfast was very good, the hotel was quite busy but this did not seem to make a difference to the smooth running of breakfast. We were greeted at the entrance to the restaurant and shown to a lovely table for two by the restaurant manageress, who explained arrangements and pointed out where we could get tea/coffee, fresh juice, cereals etc... I thought this was really helpful as it meant that we didn't have to go looking for things ourselves. We both had a cooked breakfast, which was delicious and plentiful. Everything was well stocked with a great deal of choice of both hot and cold items with a selection of pastries and preserves. Overall, we had a great stay at the Palace Hotel! This is a beautiful grand, historic hotel and I had longed for an opportunity to stay here for quite some time and I was not disappointed... :-)

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear goddard136

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback. I have only worked at the hotel for a weeks and I too have noticed the Highland Spring issue – breaking news is that Buxton water is on order!

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Palace in the future.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed 18 February 2014

When we arrived at the Palace hotel it was to gasps if excitement from my girlfriend. The hotel really is beautiful from the outside.

We arrived at 3pm and check in is from 2pm. When we asked to check in we were informed that the room wasn't ready and were thrown a couple of vouchers for a cup of tea and told to wait at the bar for the room to be prepared.

At the bar I ordered some drinks which I asked to be put on my room bill and I was told since we hadn't checked in I couldn't put it on the room. Half an hour later I went back to reception to find out what was going on and to mention that I wasn't partcularly happy about having to wait for a room I was told would be available from 2pm. I was curtly told by the girl on reception that "Check in is FROM 2pm not neccesarily AT 2pm" I'm still not quite sure what she meant but after my reaction of "Excuse me??" she quickly said, "We are sorry though and here are your keys".

Right.....

There was no explanation of where the room was, where the lift was, where the restaurant is (where we had dinner booked), what time breakfast was etc.

On our way up to our room we noticed that there was paint peeling away on a few ceilings and the hotel looked quited tired and outdated generally - I suspect the last time it was refurbed was in the early 90s.

We got to our room, unpacked, and called the spa to book in for a massage. No response. we tried again a couple more times, still with no response.

We then decided to relax for a bit and get ourselves ready for dinner. The room itself was ok, the hotel is old so you take account of that. The bath unfortunately had stains all over it and was pretty disgusting.

We had a booking for dinner and popped down 5 minutes early. We were told that our table was not quite ready but we could have a drink at the bar.

We headed to the bar and ordered a couple of drinks. My girlfriend asked if they had any straws for her drink and was grunted at by the girl behind the bar "they're over there" pointing to the other end of the bar.

Dinner itself was lovely, we were greeted and waited on by a really nice kid who was very knowledgeable and took his job very seriously, he really did go out of his way. The food was also surprisingly good.

The next morning breakfast was good.

We then called in at the spa to book in a couple of massages and were told that they were fully booked.....

When leaving the guy who checked us out was very helpful and professional.

I guess to sum up, this place has a lot of potential but it really is being let down by poorly trained staff and a lack of upkeep. It's a shame really.

We definitely won't be coming back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Rahim M

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations due to the failings of some members of the team. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence, but if you would like to call me directly to talk through your concerns I would be happy to speak with you.

I do hope that you will return to The Palace Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Well located in Buxton ,stayed on the top floor & the ceilings in the corridors were leaking .Rooms could do with modernising .Can imagine was once a grand building ,but alas not well maintained . Not much room in the bar & doesn't open very late.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Mike M

Dear Mike M

I was delighted to read your kind comments about the team and your stay overall, please be assured that I will pass your comments onto them. I do understand your concerns about the hotel appearing tired and we are working our way through a redecoration programme to improve this.

Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Wow! The Palace hotel is a beautiful building. Needs a little tlc but when you look beyond that it is lovely. We got a bargain offer which included a lovely 3 course dinner, bottle of wine, bed and self service breakfast.the food was delicious. Leisure suite small but adequate. The service is faultless even asking us if we needed help with our bags. Buxton is a quaint town with a selection of traditional and newer shops as well as some well known high street names.It great for ramblers/hikers.Only thing missing was a lounge with a roaring open fire. Could it be possible The Palace? Thankyou for making our stay a pleasure

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Tracy2372

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

I agree with most other reviewers on here. But just had to say that I can't remember seeing more unappetizing and unappealing looking bacon which looked to me as if it had been boiled. The room was fine but we were surprised to see the small double bed.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Pedro1874

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. Our bacon is very definitely grilled, I can only assume that it lost its crunch whilst it was under the hot lamps in the restaurant. I will speak to chef to reiterate the ‘little and often’ policy in terms of replenishment.

I do hope that you will return to The Palace Hotel in the near future.

James Lake

Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
#7 of 9 in Buxton
Alison Park Hotel
Alison Park Hotel
#4 of 9 in Buxton

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!