“A pleasant stay”
Review of The Palace Hotel

The Palace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed here for one night on the way to Yorkshire to visit family members. The hotel itself is very grand but parts are in disrepair and look quite shabby.

Our room was very clean and well appointed but the bathroom was very dated and a bit grubby (through wear not poor housekeeping!)

Our meal in the restaurant was very nice, although one course arrived very quickly after another and appeared to have been 'kept warm'. The staff were very friendly and accommodating though. Breakfast was excellent lots of choice and again the restaurant staff were lovely.

The health facilities were a little bit crowded at most times but looked very nice. It was difficult to get an appointment at the hotel beauty salon and pre booking wasn't advised. Despite a few little niggles, it is a genuinely lovely hotel and with what we have learned this time we would probably stay here again. Although the four star rating is a little bit generous!!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Helen R

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Palace in the future.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

The Palace Hotel in Buxton is a beautiful Victorian building - much like a palace it has very grand public rooms and large, comfortable bedrooms. Breakfast was very good with every food imaginable and well cooked. Dinner was good apart from one course which was over-cooked. Biggest complaint was that although we arrived at 5.30 pm when we checked in we were told that dinner would be a late one. At nine O'clock our table was not ready and we didn't sit down to eat until 9.30.pm. As we don't like to eat late this was not to our liking. Apart from that it was a great hotel and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Pamela W

Reviewed 25 March 2014

lovely grand old building but a bit well worn. We were allocated a room at the rear of the hotel which was small but cosy. We were woken very early in the morning at about 0630am by squeeky floorboards in the room above us. Whoever was in this room appeared to pace up and down for quite some time which was quite annoying and kept us awake when we had taken a quiet break and were looking forward to a lie in. Breakfast was ample with something for everyone. The only other thing I would say is the hotel attracts coach parties of old people who take over the conservatory at the front of the hotel for afternoon tea. And if you arrive at check in at the same time as a coach load there can be quite a wait to check in. Dont bother with the lift as its so slow you may aswell take the stairs if you are able. Overall we did enjoy our stay and the hotel served its purpose, but I wouldnt rush back.

Room Tip: Take the room upgrade to a room at the front of the hotel if one is offered.
1  Thank SarahH70

Dear SarahH70

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your stay at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to The Palace Hotel in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Lovely location, friendly staff, comfortable clean rooms, good food and service. BUT make sure there is not a function being held at the same time! The noise was so loud and went on for so long (2.0am) that one was unable to get any sleep.

Dear Rowland2014

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Magnificent old 19th c. place in the heart of Buxton, with impressive views over the town. Faded grandeur best describes it, currently. Its inexpensive, and adequately good value, as such. Room decor is dodgy, so are carpets. However its all clean, and tidy, and beds are adequately comfortable. Staff are friendly and helpful. The thing it scores very highly on is the breakfast, which is great - very good choice and well cooked. The leisure facilities are good, and free in the tariff; there is a pool, sauna and a gym. What you see is what you get! All in all, its a bit tired, currently, but its good value.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear D H

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Just returned from a 2 night stay at The Palace Hotel Buxton, I had read some earlier unflattering reviews, these I found unfair.The room we had was on the 2nd floor no 218 overlooking the front and it was great very clean and comfortable,big bed large bathroom .The hotel opened in the mid 1800's so it is a period hotel but quite grand and very well kept and its in a brilliant location to everything in Buxton.. I must mention the staff who were all lovely very pleasant and helpful nothing too much trouble etc.The food in the restaurant was typical hotel food a bit limited for our liking but adequate , but served very well by the staff.Stayed on 20/21 march 2014

Room Tip: 218 premium room did it for us overlooking the front of the hotel and Buxton.

Dear lorraine_hayes

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Great start.... the all important front facing bedroom.
Good sized family room, huge bathroom with plenty of towels and complimentary smellies. Disappointed with the 3rd bed being a camp bed but it was suitable for a one night stay.
Went into the bar area/ conservatory for a snack, asked for a table for 5, the waitress was quite unhelpful "dunno" although there was room if two tables were put together bluntly told to try the library. We organised our own seating and found our own menus. Shock of the day, the snack menu... sandwiches £7/8/9. They were exactly what they said, despite wanting to leave and find somewhere in town the rest of my group chose to stay. Luke warm latte and tea. The sandwiches were as described Ham and mustard ( not overfilled) with a bit of a garnish and less than a dozen out of a bag fries not real chips. Felt quite ripped off, nothing special about the sandwich and high street shops do better for a fraction of the cost, 4* prices but 2* food.
Good nights sleep after a good night out.
Breakfast was full of choice and generally good, although the grilled tomatoes and mushrooms were cold, the Bacon and sausages were tasty. Hit and miss breakfast overall.
Would have loved to stay at the palace in it's hey day, could imagine ladies in ballgowns and men in dinner suits I bet it was fabulous. However since then that's faded and the hotel could do with getting the decorators in and replacing chipped furniture and paintwork. The last time I stayed at the palace was 10 years ago. I don't think I'll return, definitely 4* location provided you get a room on the front overlooking the town and gardens but actually there is no splendour, however reviews these hotel and awards the stars needs to visit again because it needs downgrading. Sorry Palace but I'll try the Old Hall next time.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank rubytuesday0203
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear rubytuesday0203

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence and should you wish to discuss this in person with me I’d be delighted to take your call.

I do hope that you will consider returning to The Palace in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Yours sincerely
James Lake

Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
#3 of 6 in Bakewell
Travelodge Glossop
Travelodge Glossop
#1 of 2 in Glossop

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!