“Mothers Day Lunch”
Review of The Palace Hotel

The Palace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Reviewed 30 March 2014

My mother likes this old hotel in Buxton so we decided to take her for lunch today.
On the positive side the food was very nice and the Chef was a very friendly man. He told us it was his first day. He was very accommodating and pleasant. It was just a shame about the rest.
The service was dismal. I have never written on trip advisor before but truly, this was terrible.
Firstly, we ordered our starters. All went OK. We sat for a while but were not offered any drinks. We asked if we could have a wine menu and order some drinks. 'Yes' we were told 'I'll bring a menu over'. Some of the starters arrived....still no drinks. We got up, crossed the room and asked the AM if we could order some drinks. We think it would have been looked upon more favourably if we had just bought out own bottles of pop.
The children's starter was advertised as vegetable sticks with dips (no dips). We asked if we could have the dips for the starter. 'Yes', we were told. 'What dips would you like?' 'Well the ones that come with the starter please'. 'OK' the girl told us 'I could get you some mayonnaise'. We thought that would be OK (though it seemed strange to advertise a product with dips if it doesn't actually have dips). Meanwhile....no drinks.
Some of our 11 people party were nearing the end of their starters so we asked if we could have the other starters. After some time (when the rest of the party had completed their starters) the rest of them arrived. No apology. We ate our starters (all delicious we must say).
Starters completed....we were getting a bit thirsty. The waitress bought us a wine menu and we ordered drinks.
We sat surrounded by our empty plates for a while (still quite thirsty). We made a decision to go up to the cavery and get our food. Our table was cleared and the drinks arrived (at last!).
The carvery was lovely and at this point we encountered the friendly Chef (nice to see a friendly face!).
Whilst eating our meals we looked around for a waitress to ask if they could bring the children's main meals to us. No joy so again one of us left the table and crossed the room to ask.
After we had eaten I suggested that we avoid pudding and move on but the children protested to no ice cream. Reluctantly, we ordered puddings and coffees.
My sister ordered a Machiato coffee (which should look like an espresso). We asked the lady (politely) if the drink she had bought over was a Machiato as it looked like a Latte. We were rebuffed with the comment 'I just press the button and thats what comes out'. Well, fair enough, but a small amount of customer service wouldn't go amiss. It's a great line but it's a good job a lot of other professions don't use it (I am thinking particularly the midwife profession).
In all seriousness though this really was an overall disaster in terms of service. I have been a waitress in my youth and am well aware of the pressures of a busy restaurant but this place wasn't even busy. There were a few tables with diners on but the staff seemed to have plenty of time to chat amongst them selves. There did seem to be just 1 girl waiting on the majority of people.
Never in our lives have we not left a tip as we are aware that most of the time the staff are doing their best but these staff did not seem to be stretching themselves to reach even 1 foot in front of them.
I am afraid we won't be frequenting the Palace again for lunch despite the lovely food and nice Chef.
I hope that this chain invests in it's staff a bit more to develop their skills.

Room Tip: The rooms may be good but I would suggest B & B only.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Shaun H
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear Shaun H

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your Mothering Sunday lunch at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will consider returning to The Palace in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

James Lake

Write a ReviewReviews (2,963)

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I bought a stay using an offer from a magazine and can honestly say I'd pay full price to stay here. Its a very imposing and lovely old building, and our room was large and clean. Wonderfully comfortable wide bed, plenty of room, and an ensuite with bath. The bathroom was a little tired, and perhaps could use a facelift, but didn't detract from the hotel. Not for the price we paid anyway. We had an evening meal with the room, and the food was lovely, perfect pace of service, with wine and dessert. Lovely dining room and ambiance. Can't fault this place, and will definately stay again.

Room Tip: we stayed on 2nd floor - not much of a view on our side, (flat roof and car parks) so might be worth...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Dear Jules Rugby

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Palace in the future.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

We booked 2 nights on a special deal which made it good value as it included 2 dinners with wine and afternoon tea for two. From the outside it looks very impressive but it is an old building and needs work to update it. The windows are old and in our bathroom quite mouldy since they cannot be opened. There was a leak during heavy rain in the corridor outside our room which we reported and put our waste bin under it to protect the carpet. It was left outside our door with no thanks and some dirty water in it. Rather ill-mannered I thought. on the other hand the reception staff were polite and friendly, and the food, especially breakfast, was good. The room was clean and we had sufficient room to move. It needs work.

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor (3rd) I can't vouch for the ceiling not to leak

Dear StefanMark

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your stay at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

I do hope that you will return to The Palace Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

My Wife booked a 1 night stay here as a surprise for my 60th. birthday.
I will say that it is a Hotel that we will visit again.
Some of the reviews you read are bad and we can see why.
The Hotel is a fantastic old building that dates back many years. In fact 1890.
So. There are going to be issues due to its age.
But. Never the less. The staff. The Food. Our Room were all very nice.
So. Give it a go.

Steve & Debbie.

Room Tip: It always good to upgrade if you can.
1  Thank steve b

Dear steve b

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Me and my wife stayed for 2 nights in March this year, all in all it was good we had a deal so I don't think you get the best rooms with one of those, the staff where good service good rooms a bit dated but if you like old buildings it's good. Food was good room clean and very large. The only thing I would say is don't stay in the winter as the windows all need updating our bed was by ours and we had a very unpleasant gail force wind blowing through the large gaps around it all the time and made the room unpleasantly cold. Other than that OK.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank David B

Dear David B

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence. We have identified some windows that need to be replaced which we are underway with but as the front of the hotel is listed due to its beauty and character they have to replaced like for like.

I do hope that you will return to The Palace Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

stayed here with coach group holiday-we arrived early and were immediately served refreshments.staff were young ,friendly and helpful.bathroom and bedroom were very spacious and well equipped-specially liked large screen t.v.bedroom furniture a bit dated-i think wardrobe was related to Arkwrights till(open all hours) it closed so viciously!hangers various shapes and sizes.breakfast excellent-large choice of continental and full english.dinner also good til last night when service was rather slow, fishcakes were soggy,cool and more like potato cakes.i think there were 4 coach parties in so staggering dinner times would have been better.function rooms were rather chilly and lighting poor in dining area but overall a very pleasant stay in a lovely hotel,in an interesting town in a beautiful area

Room Tip: best views from rooms facing over town
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear PontypoolSophie

Reviewed 25 March 2014

We booked this through a Groupon voucher and expected basic because of the offer price. But do not be put of by the age and size of this hotel, or the somewhat dated decor - it is a gem based on exemplary standard of service and customer care. We had a massive room with a super-king bed, gorgeous fluffy bathrobes & towels, quality toiletries, large TV and free WiFi. The food is not gourmet but it is varied, tasty, hot, and served with more than a smile. The staff at this hotel are better than excellent, they could not do enough to help us enjoy our stay. A great base for exploring a delightful town and the beautiful surrounding countryside of Derbyshire.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Beverley P

James Lake

Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
#3 of 6 in Bakewell
Buckingham Hotel
Buckingham Hotel
#7 of 9 in Buxton

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!