“Could be so much better”
Review of The Palace Hotel

The Palace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We arrived early at around 1pm, our room wasn't ready and we were given the option of paying an extra £10 to "upgrade" to a bigger room which was ready or we would have to wait for an unknown length of time. We paid the £10 but in hindsight wished we hadn't.

Service in the restaurant was very poor. The staff were chaotic, the dinners either side of our table left before we had ordered and their dirty cluttered tables were not cleared until we left at 10.15.

Half way through our meal loud 1970's pop music started playing which was completely in contrast to the décor and style of the hotel.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Russell32014
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear Russell32014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your stay at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence. We guarantee rooms are ready from 3pm each day, however we are more than happy to take bags to your room whilst you go and enjoy the delights of Buxton.

I do hope that you will consider returning to The Palace in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

There are newer reviews for The Palace Hotel

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Having read some of these reviews that are quite negative I felt I had to write a review. The palace hotel, what can I say about it?Yes the rooms may need a little tlc but they are always clean, tidy and well presented. The hotel doesn't pretend to be something it isn't. The staff are always helpful, polite and attentive at all times. The food, from what I've experienced of it has been wonderful and service been very good. This hotel will always be a special place for me and my husband as we got married here and have returned every year for our anniversary and will continue to do so.

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Nat-Evs

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Palace in the future.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Beautiful Hotel, just old and tired! Was upgraded to a family room, only got 2 extra beds, not a nicer room! Could not open window, single glazed and steamed up. Needs repairing or even better replacing.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Joan M
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Joan M

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to The Palace Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

On arrival, the receptionist insisted that we pay £50 up front for room service that we didn't want. I contested it but they insisted we pay as they don't trust their patrons. They actually said, "we do it in case people walk out on us". We went to our room which was very spacious but didn't look or feel well maintained or as clean as it should be. We got the feeling that only the white sheets had been cleaned and not the rest of the bedding from the smell of it. The Carpet is bit dirty and the rooms are poorly maintained with botched repairs and poor decorating. Since we had paid for room service up front, we opted to order a Tuna and Cucumber sandwich at £7.90 each with a £5 compulsory tray charge so, £20.80 for two sandwiches. Not bad value!! We also got a dodgy TV Remote which made me quite annoyed to the point that I wanted to throw the TV out of the window. When it came to breakfast, we couldn't fault the restaurant and the restaurant staff were polite and the breakfast menu is very comprehensive with some nice cooked to order options as well as the buffet. If you want a drink in the hotel bar, the drinks prices are very inflated but there's a good pub (The Railway) only a five minute stroll away. There's also a very good selection of restaurants close by and none of them seem overpriced. We only stayed for two nights and speaking for both of us, two nights was enough. I wouldn't like to be stuck in this hotel for any longer than that. That said, it served its purpose for a short stay and your own experiences of the hotel may be better. I'd say, if it were to become an independent hotel with better policies and a bit more caring about customer service, it could be a wonderful place, but as it stands, it's just OK.

Room Tip: The whole place seems to be in decay so, any room should be the same.

Dear James S

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence and should you wish to discuss this in person with me I’d be delighted to take your call.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Have just visited the palace hotel in buxton on a KGB deal,for the price we paid we had a great time . Hotel itself needs a good face lift but was clean staff very helpful at all times. Evening meal was OK breakfast had a good selection. We asked to change first room as was next to lift and shower was smallest I have ever seen, our request was dealt with straight away with no fuss. Buxton itself was a delight plenty of bars and restaurants ,lots of lovely tea rooms too well worth a visit will be going back but would probably use local restaurants next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger shower

Dear Lynette R

I do hope that you will return to The Palace Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

My mother likes this old hotel in Buxton so we decided to take her for lunch today.
On the positive side the food was very nice and the Chef was a very friendly man. He told us it was his first day. He was very accommodating and pleasant. It was just a shame about the rest.
The service was dismal. I have never written on trip advisor before but truly, this was terrible.
Firstly, we ordered our starters. All went OK. We sat for a while but were not offered any drinks. We asked if we could have a wine menu and order some drinks. 'Yes' we were told 'I'll bring a menu over'. Some of the starters arrived....still no drinks. We got up, crossed the room and asked the AM if we could order some drinks. We think it would have been looked upon more favourably if we had just bought out own bottles of pop.
The children's starter was advertised as vegetable sticks with dips (no dips). We asked if we could have the dips for the starter. 'Yes', we were told. 'What dips would you like?' 'Well the ones that come with the starter please'. 'OK' the girl told us 'I could get you some mayonnaise'. We thought that would be OK (though it seemed strange to advertise a product with dips if it doesn't actually have dips). Meanwhile....no drinks.
Some of our 11 people party were nearing the end of their starters so we asked if we could have the other starters. After some time (when the rest of the party had completed their starters) the rest of them arrived. No apology. We ate our starters (all delicious we must say).
Starters completed....we were getting a bit thirsty. The waitress bought us a wine menu and we ordered drinks.
We sat surrounded by our empty plates for a while (still quite thirsty). We made a decision to go up to the cavery and get our food. Our table was cleared and the drinks arrived (at last!).
The carvery was lovely and at this point we encountered the friendly Chef (nice to see a friendly face!).
Whilst eating our meals we looked around for a waitress to ask if they could bring the children's main meals to us. No joy so again one of us left the table and crossed the room to ask.
After we had eaten I suggested that we avoid pudding and move on but the children protested to no ice cream. Reluctantly, we ordered puddings and coffees.
My sister ordered a Machiato coffee (which should look like an espresso). We asked the lady (politely) if the drink she had bought over was a Machiato as it looked like a Latte. We were rebuffed with the comment 'I just press the button and thats what comes out'. Well, fair enough, but a small amount of customer service wouldn't go amiss. It's a great line but it's a good job a lot of other professions don't use it (I am thinking particularly the midwife profession).
In all seriousness though this really was an overall disaster in terms of service. I have been a waitress in my youth and am well aware of the pressures of a busy restaurant but this place wasn't even busy. There were a few tables with diners on but the staff seemed to have plenty of time to chat amongst them selves. There did seem to be just 1 girl waiting on the majority of people.
Never in our lives have we not left a tip as we are aware that most of the time the staff are doing their best but these staff did not seem to be stretching themselves to reach even 1 foot in front of them.
I am afraid we won't be frequenting the Palace again for lunch despite the lovely food and nice Chef.
I hope that this chain invests in it's staff a bit more to develop their skills.

Room Tip: The rooms may be good but I would suggest B & B only.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Shaun H

Dear Shaun H

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your Mothering Sunday lunch at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I bought a stay using an offer from a magazine and can honestly say I'd pay full price to stay here. Its a very imposing and lovely old building, and our room was large and clean. Wonderfully comfortable wide bed, plenty of room, and an ensuite with bath. The bathroom was a little tired, and perhaps could use a facelift, but didn't detract from the hotel. Not for the price we paid anyway. We had an evening meal with the room, and the food was lovely, perfect pace of service, with wine and dessert. Lovely dining room and ambiance. Can't fault this place, and will definately stay again.

Room Tip: we stayed on 2nd floor - not much of a view on our side, (flat roof and car parks) so might be worth...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Dear Jules Rugby

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Yours Sincerely

James Lake

Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
#7 of 9 in Buxton
Alison Park Hotel
Alison Park Hotel
#4 of 9 in Buxton

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!