The Palace Hotel
Navigation Inn(Buxworth)
Hollin Hall Hotel(Macclesfield)
  • Breakfast included
3,150 results
All reviewsgrand old hotelgrand staircasesweeping staircasecourse mealbuffet stylebit datedshort breakopera houselovely viewfull englishchandelierscharacterderbyshire
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Gore at location with good food. However our premium room was well below standard, especially bathroom which had holes in wall, torn wallpaper and dirt/mould.
Guest room needed complete refurbishment.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Liz B

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your stay at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence. We have recently put together a decorations programme and I would be very interested in understanding which bedroom you stayed in, to this end should you wish to discuss this in person with me I’d be delighted to take your call..

I do hope that you will consider returning to The Palace in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 27 April 2014

The hotel towers above the other buildings and is a very impressive sight over the town. A very large building internally and externally. It is ideally located if you are attending the opera house for a show. The price was good on lastminute and included breakfast. We were in room 222 which is spacious and clean. Large comfortable bed. As reviewers have pointed out this is an old building so expect creaking floorboards and dated features. Having said that although our boards creaked, we never heard any others. We had a good view of the Pavilion and as the room was very warm it would have been better to have been able to open the large sash window a little more. The room was well cleaned, minor point was water in the kettle when we arrived.
Breakfast was excellent with a good choice. All the staff were very pleasant and helpful.
Wifi and parking are free so disregard comments on some sites that say they are charged.
Recommend this hotel if visiting the Peak District.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front
1  Thank 2eastwalk
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear adrian evans

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Palace in the future.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Brilliant location in a lovely town.
Really friendly and helpful staff - looked after our luggage most of the day so that we could enjoy Buxton.
Really laid back about Megan the Welsh Terrier, who was accompanying us on the trip.
Nice menu for room service, speedy and friendly delivery, not put off by a Welsh Terrier running down the hall.
Room decorated to a nice standard.
The only oddity was the separate bathroom and toilet, obviously a result of the en suite toilet having been built in earlier than the en suite bathroom.
Really the only criticism is that the rooms given to dog owners are the furthest from the entrance. Thankfully Megan has a good degree of patience over toileting. A year ago it would have been a disaster!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear MatthewSHare

Reviewed 26 April 2014

We weren't sure what to expect reading some of the reviews, but I always go with an open mind and see for myself!

We booked for my birthday and booked a dinner, bed, breakfast and sparking wine package which was a good deal.

When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised at where the hotel was located (central) and how big and grand it looked from the outside. We parked up and checked in at 2.30pm and room was ready. I have to say the room was basic and we have stayed in nicer rooms, but was adequate, comfortable and had fabulous views (front facing).

We went downstairs for afternoon tea, which was good value for money - our only issue was we ordered the tea which came straight away but then the actual food never arrived and people after us were putting their order in for afternoon tea and receiving theirs, so my hsband had to go ask where ours was after 45 minutes. By this time we had no tea left and the girl apologised for the delay ( we think she forgot to put order through ). The afternoon tea was nice, but we had salmon sandwiches missing, and other people around us were being asked if they would like a refill and we weren't. Overall the afternoon tea was lovely, good range of teas to choose from and good value, and was nice to sit in the conservatory.

We took a walk to the Pavilion Park which was fabulous, a stunning park with lots to do - our children would have loved it here!

Back to the hotel for a swim and use the steam room and sauna and then get ready for dinner.

Dinner was lovely, service much better, a good choice of a menu - even for a veggie! Cheese and biscuits for dessert - yum!

We took a cocktail up to bed with another cheese plate and watched a film on our tablet.

The rooms are very warm, even with the windows open and heating off, and I ended up sleeping on top of the duvet, but the bed was very comfortable and I had a good night's sleep.

Breakfast is self service with a very good choice of hot and cold buffet and drinks.

Bit disappointed that we had to pay £4.50 parking, I understand it is close to everything and the park, but surely if you are staying at the hotel it should be free?

Overall a fabulous stay and would stay again

Dear EmRobo

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Reading the reviews we realized we were going to a 'marmite' hotel ! Its not exactly faded grandeur, and its not a modern novatel!
We had a huge family room overlooking the Devonshire dome, yes it had a bit of paint pealing and a crack in the basin; but it was very clean and well equiped with huge comfy beds.
The rest of our party had doubles, slightly smaller and the roomed at the back were slightly cooler and darker but nicely equipped.
The hotel was packed over Easter and breakfasts could be a bit chaotic but the food kept being topped up.
Only gripe would be the bar wine selection and that some were only served in the restaurant and not at the bar. (a few feet away !)

Room Tip: Family room 121 - great view of Devonshire dome
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family