“Areally bad experience”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
York
“Areally bad experience”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

As a wheelchair user I asked for a disabled room I was told they didn't have any but the hotel would be made aware and give a large room I found out on arrival that they did have rooms with walk shower but they had allocated to other guests. The room I was given was unsuitable my wheelchair would not fit into the bathroom door when I complained they had no other rooms to offer. Not only could I not get a shower because it was over the bath. but had real difficulty getting up from the toilet as it was situated on a wall away from anything else to hold onto. I then in the restaurant ordered a gin and tonic to be told they had no gin!!! I checked out at 1am on the arrival day I was told the General Manger would ring me he didn't. So theres the problem

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear peterkYork

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your stay at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. As per my email to you personally, I was not made aware of your concerns as I was away from the hotel for three days through the duration your stay on a course. I have since tried to call to discuss your concerns and look forward to having the opportunity to discuss these with you shortly.

I do hope that you enjoyed your stay at the Majestic Hotel on Thursday and that the disabled room that you received met with your expectations.

James Lake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (687)
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We visited on Tuesday 8th April for a Spa morning and lunch. There were 9 of us and it was for my now daughter in law's Hen day. The price was very reasonable at £35 to include a mini treatment and lunch. We were all very happy with the spa and treatments, my back neck and shoulder massage was very good in fact. Lunch however was a different matter. One of our party found a contact lens in her drink. We all found bits of plastic in our soup and there was a long black hair in my daughter in law's sandwich. Needless to say I didn't eat much. The barman/waiter was most apologetic at every turn of events and gave us a complimentary bottle of Champagne. It was not my booking and not my event so I kept out of it on the day but feel I really do need to make people aware of this experience. We had all prepaid a few weeks before so we couldn't even refuse to pay or walk out and go elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank HoneysuckleRoses
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear MCloud9

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your spa day at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence and should you wish to discuss this in person with me I’d be delighted to take your call.

I do hope that you will consider returning to The Palace in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

James Lake

Travellers are raving about these Buxton hotels

Chesterfield,
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Hotel was amazing, with great facilities. The restuarant lacked much choice and the Rooms need greater care as seem unloved.

Would definitely stay here again as it was an enjoyable night away with my wife.

Dear Jack C

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to The Palace Hotel in the near future.

Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This hotel needs upgrading. Doesn't deserve a 4 star rating. We have been staying at the Palace for 15 years, we had our wedding there, and won't go again. It's not clean, is noisy in the summer with weddings and late night parties, and the food is expensive and of very average quality. You have to pay £4.50 to park overnight too.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Simon R

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

A stately looking hotel which opened in 1868. However, the interior decor is looking tired and in need of renovation. Our second room was bright and airy looking out to the front of the garden. Good location very near to Buxton Station and main shopping area. Plenty of restaurants in the vicinity. There is a Museum and Opera House nearby. Liked the location of this hotel which was central to many of interesting areas.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Pauline L

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Palace in the future.

Buxton
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Great location, food and service. Lift a bit slow and only one of them. Rooms comfortable and clean but ours was a bit pokey and dark at the rear of hotel. Lovely pool/ steam/sauna/Gym. Would stay again.

Dear Ann M

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one night and really enjoyed it. We had dinner in the restaurant and breakfast the following morning. Food and service was excellent. We would stay there again.

Dear Hannah T

James Lake
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
The Izaak Walton Hotel
Alison Park Hotel
Alison Park Hotel
#4 of 9 in Buxton

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!