“Popped in for dinner ” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Popped in for dinner ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

We booked in for dinner for my mother-in-law's birthday, very last minute but they were accommodating.

The food was very good and staff were very friendly and professional. Service was very quick as well.

We were looking to stay here for our whole trip but my father-in-law was told we would have had to eat all our meals at the hotel, so we decided to stay elsewhere instead. However, worth a visit for dinner

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear DanielleDing

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your dinner with us, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback.

For future information whilst we would love all our guests to be on dinner inclusive terms, it is not compulsory and we do offer bed and breakfast rates also.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Palace in the future.

Yours Sincerely

James Lake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
Darlington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

lovely stay , agree with others, hotel a bit tired but not a problem ,lift dreadful,bar very pricy (as in all hotels )but the icing on the cake: to charge to park in their car park £4.50 per day a disgrace never have i ever come across this in hotels before when staying as a resident.food good ,all generally good , excellent location,but the few niggles do make me think would i go back or would i rercommend

Dear hairbyalison

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your stay at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to The Palace Hotel in the near future.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

we stayed at this hotel Sunday just for a nice romantic night away and it was on special offer :)
we were greeted at the reception by a less than enthusiastic not very well presented member of staff (that said the rest of the staff more than made up for him everyone else was very polite and welcoming) who tried to charge us again twice! then gave us the key and some not very useful directions to the room. no introduction to the hotel or the facilities. once we made it to the room we had been given a family room because there was a function on - the room was clean but not ideal having two beds shoved together and another one oddly placed in the corner. the room was clean but quite damaged.
we called down to ask if the wine in our room was the one supposed to be included with our meal and the same useful man that checked us in didn't know then said "just drink it, it was probably left by the people before" then we asked to book a table in the restaurant for our evening meal at 8 PM. we went to the restaurant but had not been booked in thankfully the lovely restaurant supervisor for the evening squeezed us in. the meal was beautiful and after a different receptionist advised us that the wine in the room was for us at last.
buffet style breakfast the next day was nice and check out was simple with a more competent member of staff.
last thing - we were on the third floor and could still hear the music past 12AM i didnt mind but if you're booking and hoping to relax i would check the event list first

Dear peterkYork

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. As per my email to you personally, I was not made aware of your concerns as I was away from the hotel for three days over the duration your stay on a course. I have since tried to call to discuss your concerns and look forward to having the opportunity to discuss these with you shortly.

I do hope that you enjoyed your stay at the Majestic Hotel and that the disabled room that you received met with your expectations.

York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

As a wheelchair user I asked for a disabled room I was told they didn't have any but the hotel would be made aware and give a large room I found out on arrival that they did have rooms with walk shower but they had allocated to other guests. The room I was given was unsuitable my wheelchair would not fit into the bathroom door when I complained they had no other rooms to offer. Not only could I not get a shower because it was over the bath. but had real difficulty getting up from the toilet as it was situated on a wall away from anything else to hold onto. I then in the restaurant ordered a gin and tonic to be told they had no gin!!! I checked out at 1am on the arrival day I was told the General Manger would ring me he didn't. So theres the problem

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Dear peterkYork

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. As per my email to you personally, I was not made aware of your concerns as I was away from the hotel for three days through the duration your stay on a course. I have since tried to call to discuss your concerns and look forward to having the opportunity to discuss these with you shortly.

I do hope that you enjoyed your stay at the Majestic Hotel on Thursday and that the disabled room that you received met with your expectations.

James Lake

Travellers are raving about these Buxton hotels

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

We visited on Tuesday 8th April for a Spa morning and lunch. There were 9 of us and it was for my now daughter in law's Hen day. The price was very reasonable at £35 to include a mini treatment and lunch. We were all very happy with the spa and treatments, my back neck and shoulder massage was very good in fact. Lunch however was a different matter. One of our party found a contact lens in her drink. We all found bits of plastic in our soup and there was a long black hair in my daughter in law's sandwich. Needless to say I didn't eat much. The barman/waiter was most apologetic at every turn of events and gave us a complimentary bottle of Champagne. It was not my booking and not my event so I kept out of it on the day but feel I really do need to make people aware of this experience. We had all prepaid a few weeks before so we couldn't even refuse to pay or walk out and go elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank HoneysuckleRoses
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear MCloud9

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your spa day at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence and should you wish to discuss this in person with me I’d be delighted to take your call.

I do hope that you will consider returning to The Palace in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Chesterfield,
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Hotel was amazing, with great facilities. The restuarant lacked much choice and the Rooms need greater care as seem unloved.

Would definitely stay here again as it was an enjoyable night away with my wife.

• 2 of 5 bubbles

Dear Jack C

I do hope that you will return to The Palace Hotel in the near future.

Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

This hotel needs upgrading. Doesn't deserve a 4 star rating. We have been staying at the Palace for 15 years, we had our wedding there, and won't go again. It's not clean, is noisy in the summer with weddings and late night parties, and the food is expensive and of very average quality. You have to pay £4.50 to park overnight too.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Simon R

James Lake
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
BEST WESTERN Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
Bagshaw Hall
#3 of 7 in Bakewell
Losehill House Hotel & Spa
The Westminster Hotel

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!