“Pleasant weekend break”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Rochdale, United Kingdom
“Pleasant weekend break”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I decided on this hotel as I was travelling alone and just wanted a weekend away close to some sights and with a spa. This is a lovely hotel grand staircase and chandeliers. It was a two minute walk into Buxton which was great. I had Bed & Breakfast but also decided on evening meal for the first night which was great. The staff were very friendly. The second night I decided on a change and went to the Italian across the road. I would recommend this hotel, the spa was great and the pool and steam room. The only thing was there was a wedding the weekend I stayed and my room was above the function room - which was very loud in the evening. But everyone loves a good wedding.!!!

Room Tip: Not above the function room.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear WendyLord62

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Palace in the future.

James Lake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (687)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The room was dirty, there were black hairs in the bathroom, the bed was so uncomfortable and sunk in the middle. The room generally felt unclean and had a weird musky smell. The bed cushions and cover looked old and worn, there was dust on the headboard of the bed. The room service was despicable - took an hour to arrive, order was wrong, then some of the items ordered apparently no longer existed on the menu even though they were on the room service menu, the tray the food was served on was dirty and the white thing on it was folded in an untidy way that made it seemed dirty. There was no serviette/napkin. There was no apology.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Anne B
Dear Anne B

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your stay at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence and should you wish to discuss this in person with me I’d be delighted to take your call.

I do hope that you will consider returning to The Palace in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

James Lake

Travellers are raving about these Buxton hotels

Buxton
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We went to this hotel as the photos on the website showed a very good hotel with good facilities.
Our room was on the 3rd floor and certainly not 4 star
The hotel was full so they could not move us. We were told that the hotel was being refurbished, but that didn't help us for our special weekend.
They were also having problems with the pool temperature which was very cold
Overall not a good experience for our romantic weekend away

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank Janet H
Dear Janet H

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Just come back from a over night stay at The Palace Hotel Buxton, The hotel is lovely, very grand and impressive as your come around the corner in Buxton, the reception area is very nice with a huge staircase, the rooms are nice although a little tried, the place needs abit of a upgrade for a 4 star hotel. the pool area could be better,
But the service was excellant and breakfast was super. i would go back, but i did not agree with the £4.50 price for the carpark, even when you are staying at the hotel.

Room Tip: If you have a room at the front the views are lovely, but you do have the town clock chiming every h...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear 808DianeS

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Before you allow the previous bad reviews of this place put you off have a little read about our experience.

The Palace Hotel is close is 150 years old I believe therefore has bags of character, those of you who want an almost clinical, modern place to stay need to look towards what I considering boring chain hotels because The Palace won't offer you this however what it does offer is a great deal of "lived in" period charm. You may get the odd bit of peeling paintwork or the odd chip on the furniture however never the less it standards of cleanliness are still fantastic.

From the very moment you open the door and enter The Palace Hotel you can expect a warm and friendly welcome. Not your typical generic forced hello but more of a family bed and breakfast style welcome from staff who obviously enjoy working there and who enjoy meeting new people. This can be said for all of the staff who we met throughout the establishment, no matter what you wanted they would sort it for you. I can't grumble what so ever and I would most definitely give service a 5*.

Location wise the hotel is perfectly situated within Buxton with at least half a dozen eateries within a easily walking distance however we had a look at the menu and decided it looked ok so we booked in at the restaurant and boy were we glad that we did as the standard of the food was magnificent. Again if you want bland tasting, microwaved, chain hotel cuisine then this place isn't for you! To give you an example I had the Potato and leek soup with fresh crusty bread to start and then the slow cooked beef which fell apart on the plate and melted in the mouth, this was served up with crunchy, flavoursome seasonal vegetables and a creamy mushroom gravy / sauce. For dessert I had a warm chocolate brownie with creamy ice cream on the side. Overall the pricing at around £25.00 for a 3 course meal was more than justified and the portions were more than reasonable.

Overall the rooms may be a little dated however the are clean and crammed full of period character. For a chain hotel they offer top class service and make you feel really welcome.

Room Tip: If you are offered the opportunity to upgrade to a suite as we were then I would recommend that you...
3 Thank ThatYorkshireCouple
Dear ThatYorkshireCouple

Derby
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel and grounds are stunning, however the premier room we had whilst large the decor was dated . The bathroom was small and need refurbishing. At £128 a night I thought it was over priced with parking on top of the room rate. I have had better rooms in £50 hotels. The staff were professional and polite, however the hotel is not worth the extra cost.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DJHDerby
Dear DJHDerby

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to The Palace Hotel in the near future.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We have been to Buxton many times and decided to give this hotel a try.

1. Check in, 2 people on reception when we arrived but both were dealing with the same person, then when seen the receptionist seemed more interested in selling us an upgrade, not particularly welcoming either.

2. Room, very tired looking and not very clean which was pointed out on departure, could do with a refurb.

3. Dining Room, we had dinner on our first night which we both enjoyed, breakfast was good both days although i'm not sure about the Tea/Coffee machines, at one point 2 out of 3 machines were out of order.

4. Hair Dryer, I don't think I have ever stopped in a 4 star hotel before that hasn't had one supplied in the room, so my wife had to borrow one from reception (we were told that people keep stealing them so they are not supplied in the rooms anymore).

We did pass our concerns on to the duty manager on departure, we would have given the hotel 3.5 rather than 3 but can't on Trip Advisor.

We will give the hotel another try in the future as we have some favourite walks in the area.

Room Tip: Take a hair dryer.
1 Thank tigerbobABC
Dear tigerbobABC

I do hope that you will return to The Palace Hotel in the near future.

James Lake
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
The Izaak Walton Hotel
Alison Park Hotel
Alison Park Hotel
#4 of 9 in Buxton

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!