“Splendid, but a little faded”
Review of The Palace Hotel

The Palace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Splendid, but a little faded”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The elevated position and imposing exterior of the hotel say 'come and stay here'. Inside there is an air of faded splendour, but this adds to the experience of staying in a hotel that Victorians stayed in whilst taking the waters. However there is scope for a coat of paint and some artwork to brighten up some of the more faded rooms. The staff were excellent, very welcoming and helpful. And the hotel served one of the best buffet breakfasts I have had. Good quality ingredients nicely cooked.

1 Thank Nicole B
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Nicole B

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Palace in the future.

James Lake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (704)
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed at the hotel for two nights bed and breakfast. This was our very first time to the Peak District and we enjoyed our stay at the hotel and Buxton. We chose to stay at the hotel because it’s dog friendly and we took our dog with us. We found most of the pubs in the town centre were also dog friendly. The hotel is very large and has lots of character. It does need renovating in certain areas. Our room was very spacious and comfortable. Our only moan about the room was that there were not enough tea bags or milk for the three of us, although the hotel bar did provide us with fresh milk when we asked for it. We found all of the staff very friendly and professional. We did use the swimming pool and sauna facilities, which were clean. Clean towels were also provided. We did not eat in the restaurant as it was expensive, and not really appropriate for the three of us, therefore we ate in the town centre pubs. We had breakfast in the restaurant both mornings. It was a self service buffet style. There was plenty of variety with the choice of a full English or continental. The breakfast was very good! We had to pay to park our car there, which we do not agree with. There was one downside; there is a large clock tower nearby, it chimed throughout the night, which disturbed our sleep. We probably would not return to the hotel, only because we would now go to a cottage more out in the countryside.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear FanabeFans

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback. Next time you stay please don’t hesitate to ask for more tea bags at reception.

Rochdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I decided on this hotel as I was travelling alone and just wanted a weekend away close to some sights and with a spa. This is a lovely hotel grand staircase and chandeliers. It was a two minute walk into Buxton which was great. I had Bed & Breakfast but also decided on evening meal for the first night which was great. The staff were very friendly. The second night I decided on a change and went to the Italian across the road. I would recommend this hotel, the spa was great and the pool and steam room. The only thing was there was a wedding the weekend I stayed and my room was above the function room - which was very loud in the evening. But everyone loves a good wedding.!!!

Room Tip: Not above the function room.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Dear WendyLord62

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The room was dirty, there were black hairs in the bathroom, the bed was so uncomfortable and sunk in the middle. The room generally felt unclean and had a weird musky smell. The bed cushions and cover looked old and worn, there was dust on the headboard of the bed. The room service was despicable - took an hour to arrive, order was wrong, then some of the items ordered apparently no longer existed on the menu even though they were on the room service menu, the tray the food was served on was dirty and the white thing on it was folded in an untidy way that made it seemed dirty. There was no serviette/napkin. There was no apology.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

2 Thank Anne B
Dear Anne B

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your stay at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence and should you wish to discuss this in person with me I’d be delighted to take your call.

I do hope that you will consider returning to The Palace in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Yours sincerely
James Lake

Travellers are raving about these Buxton hotels

Buxton
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We went to this hotel as the photos on the website showed a very good hotel with good facilities.
Our room was on the 3rd floor and certainly not 4 star
The hotel was full so they could not move us. We were told that the hotel was being refurbished, but that didn't help us for our special weekend.
They were also having problems with the pool temperature which was very cold
Overall not a good experience for our romantic weekend away

3 Thank Janet H
Dear Janet H

Yours sincerely
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Just come back from a over night stay at The Palace Hotel Buxton, The hotel is lovely, very grand and impressive as your come around the corner in Buxton, the reception area is very nice with a huge staircase, the rooms are nice although a little tried, the place needs abit of a upgrade for a 4 star hotel. the pool area could be better,
But the service was excellant and breakfast was super. i would go back, but i did not agree with the £4.50 price for the carpark, even when you are staying at the hotel.

Room Tip: If you have a room at the front the views are lovely, but you do have the town clock chiming every h...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear 808DianeS

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Before you allow the previous bad reviews of this place put you off have a little read about our experience.

The Palace Hotel is close is 150 years old I believe therefore has bags of character, those of you who want an almost clinical, modern place to stay need to look towards what I considering boring chain hotels because The Palace won't offer you this however what it does offer is a great deal of "lived in" period charm. You may get the odd bit of peeling paintwork or the odd chip on the furniture however never the less it standards of cleanliness are still fantastic.

From the very moment you open the door and enter The Palace Hotel you can expect a warm and friendly welcome. Not your typical generic forced hello but more of a family bed and breakfast style welcome from staff who obviously enjoy working there and who enjoy meeting new people. This can be said for all of the staff who we met throughout the establishment, no matter what you wanted they would sort it for you. I can't grumble what so ever and I would most definitely give service a 5*.

Location wise the hotel is perfectly situated within Buxton with at least half a dozen eateries within a easily walking distance however we had a look at the menu and decided it looked ok so we booked in at the restaurant and boy were we glad that we did as the standard of the food was magnificent. Again if you want bland tasting, microwaved, chain hotel cuisine then this place isn't for you! To give you an example I had the Potato and leek soup with fresh crusty bread to start and then the slow cooked beef which fell apart on the plate and melted in the mouth, this was served up with crunchy, flavoursome seasonal vegetables and a creamy mushroom gravy / sauce. For dessert I had a warm chocolate brownie with creamy ice cream on the side. Overall the pricing at around £25.00 for a 3 course meal was more than justified and the portions were more than reasonable.

Overall the rooms may be a little dated however the are clean and crammed full of period character. For a chain hotel they offer top class service and make you feel really welcome.

Room Tip: If you are offered the opportunity to upgrade to a suite as we were then I would recommend that you...
3 Thank ThatYorkshireCouple
Dear ThatYorkshireCouple

James Lake
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
Bagshaw Hall
#3 of 6 in Bakewell
The Westminster Hotel
Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!