The Palace Hotel
Navigation Inn(Buxworth)
Hollin Hall Hotel(Macclesfield)
  • Breakfast included
3,155 results
All reviewsgrand old hotelgrand staircasesweeping staircasecourse mealbuffet stylebit datedshort breakopera houselovely viewfull englishchandelierscharacterderbyshire
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The elevated position and imposing exterior of the hotel say 'come and stay here'. Inside there is an air of faded splendour, but this adds to the experience of staying in a hotel that Victorians stayed in whilst taking the waters. However there is scope for a coat of paint and some artwork to brighten up some of the more faded rooms. The staff were excellent, very welcoming and helpful. And the hotel served one of the best buffet breakfasts I have had. Good quality ingredients nicely cooked.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicole B
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Nicole B

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Palace in the future.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed at the hotel for two nights bed and breakfast. This was our very first time to the Peak District and we enjoyed our stay at the hotel and Buxton. We chose to stay at the hotel because it’s dog friendly and we took our dog with us. We found most of the pubs in the town centre were also dog friendly. The hotel is very large and has lots of character. It does need renovating in certain areas. Our room was very spacious and comfortable. Our only moan about the room was that there were not enough tea bags or milk for the three of us, although the hotel bar did provide us with fresh milk when we asked for it. We found all of the staff very friendly and professional. We did use the swimming pool and sauna facilities, which were clean. Clean towels were also provided. We did not eat in the restaurant as it was expensive, and not really appropriate for the three of us, therefore we ate in the town centre pubs. We had breakfast in the restaurant both mornings. It was a self service buffet style. There was plenty of variety with the choice of a full English or continental. The breakfast was very good! We had to pay to park our car there, which we do not agree with. There was one downside; there is a large clock tower nearby, it chimed throughout the night, which disturbed our sleep. We probably would not return to the hotel, only because we would now go to a cottage more out in the countryside.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear FanabeFans

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback. Next time you stay please don’t hesitate to ask for more tea bags at reception.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I decided on this hotel as I was travelling alone and just wanted a weekend away close to some sights and with a spa. This is a lovely hotel grand staircase and chandeliers. It was a two minute walk into Buxton which was great. I had Bed & Breakfast but also decided on evening meal for the first night which was great. The staff were very friendly. The second night I decided on a change and went to the Italian across the road. I would recommend this hotel, the spa was great and the pool and steam room. The only thing was there was a wedding the weekend I stayed and my room was above the function room - which was very loud in the evening. But everyone loves a good wedding.!!!

Room Tip: Not above the function room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Dear WendyLord62

Reviewed 6 May 2014

The room was dirty, there were black hairs in the bathroom, the bed was so uncomfortable and sunk in the middle. The room generally felt unclean and had a weird musky smell. The bed cushions and cover looked old and worn, there was dust on the headboard of the bed. The room service was despicable - took an hour to arrive, order was wrong, then some of the items ordered apparently no longer existed on the menu even though they were on the room service menu, the tray the food was served on was dirty and the white thing on it was folded in an untidy way that made it seemed dirty. There was no serviette/napkin. There was no apology.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Anne B

Dear Anne B

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your stay at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence and should you wish to discuss this in person with me I’d be delighted to take your call.

I do hope that you will consider returning to The Palace in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We went to this hotel as the photos on the website showed a very good hotel with good facilities.
Our room was on the 3rd floor and certainly not 4 star
The hotel was full so they could not move us. We were told that the hotel was being refurbished, but that didn't help us for our special weekend.
They were also having problems with the pool temperature which was very cold
Overall not a good experience for our romantic weekend away

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple