“Wonderful stay in splendid hotel”
Review of The Palace Hotel

The Palace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Oxford
“Wonderful stay in splendid hotel”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Lovely two night stay with dinner, bed and breakfast and two spa treatments. Staff were very welcoming and helpful throughout our stay. Food was excellent. Our room was on the 3rd floor overlooking the town with wonderful views. Wardrobe and chests of drawers were a bit shabby but otherwise the room was clean with everything we needed. The position of the hotel is ideal for walking into the town with the Pavilion and gardens and shops all very close, or further afield for lovely walks in every direction. Would thoroughly recommend.

Room Tip: For peace and quiet choose a high room, 2nd or 3rd floor, and on the right hand side facing the fron...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear CLB-1-10

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Palace in the future.

James Lake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (704)
Glossop, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

my daughter and I redeemed a christmas voucher for a spa day treat. we booked the day and arrived in time for our treat. although the hotel looked as though it needed a bit of a face lift from the outside, the entrance foyer was immaculate. We booked in at reception and was directed to the leisure facility. we were registered and given. Robes and towel and directed to the pool, sauna and steam room. We used these facilities and then Went on for our beauty treatments, very relaxing. after this we topped our day off with afternoon tea then made our way home after our day out treat.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Alicia H

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your spa day with us, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback.

Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Very basic,very old furniture very few room facilities for a very expensive bed and breakfast stay. We were there 3 nights that had been booked for several months prior. The room had a view over a dirty flat roof and scaffolding and on the second night we discovered it was right over a function room, where on the Saturday night a group played until 2.30am on the Sunday morning! Loads of bass and vibration and no sleep! There was only 1 bedside table only one of us could read as there wasn't another lamp. No extractor in the bathroom and a very ill fitted battered bath panel

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

3 Thank Christine B
Dear Christine B

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your stay at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence and should you wish to discuss this in person with me I’d be delighted to take your call.

I do hope that you will consider returning to The Palace in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

James Lake

Travellers are raving about these Buxton hotels

Arctic Village, Alaska
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Think 1970s stereotype of what Yanks believed England was like then. Only worse (cos it was never that bad!). I hope that Puma is about to invest the necessary £10m to bring this place up to scratch. Such lovely character, and people, though. And amazing location.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Dear J B

I was delighted to read your kind comments about the team and your stay overall, please be assured that I will pass your comments onto them. I do understand your concerns about the hotel appearing tired and we are working our way through a bedroom redecoration programme to improve this. There is an issue with a roof leak which occurred last weekend and we have erected scaffolding to allow us to resolve the leak.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Birmingham UK
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

The staff at the hotel are excellent made us feel welcome and couldn't do enough to make your stay more enjoyable. The hotel is close to the town so not far from bars and places to eat. Only downside the hotel is looking a little tired in places and could do with a revamp

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Baggies_traveller
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Baggies_traveller

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I was staying at the hotel with a group of about 50 for a nearby wedding.

It was raining in the hallway&bedroom. I had to place my kettle etc around the room and outside to collect water and I couldn't sleep as I was afraid that the ceiling, which was very badly damaged, stained and loose, would collapse. I shall upload photos when I know how! The bedroom toilet was dirty on arrival. I used the swimming pool and was horrified at the mould problems in the changing rooms which I am certain are a health problem.

I raised all of the above with the front desk and asked for a room change or discount neither could be offered as the person helping said she was just "a hotel receptionist and couldn't deal with complaints".

Food is adequate but that is only if you can find a plate, cutlery and glass to self serve. Do not ask the staff for help as you will not get any!

when checking out look out for a parking fee which they add even if you do not have a car.

I am horrifed at my experiance and will be writing to the local authority and AA in relation to the dangerous ceilings and mould.

Not happy at all.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank Kieran W
Dear Kieran W

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com and our own online customer satisfaction survey we emailed you following your stay at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. Late last year we did have some extensive roof work done around where you bedroom was. Till last Saturday we thought we had cured the problem and since then we have had some significant rain fall. It does appear that we have a different issue therefore following last weekends downpour our builder is erecting scaffolding to gain access to this area now to resolve the issue.

This however does not excuse the levels of cleanliness and service issues you encountered and I would be pleased to take your call to discuss any concerns that you may have.

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We recently booked this hotel for 3 double rooms. Initially they double-booked us and we had to move our reservation. Two days before our stay apparently a boiler burst and flooded several rooms so they had to cancel. They offered us alternative accommodation nearby in what looked to be a pretty poor substitute. We were fortunate in being able to find more suitable accommodation ourselves. This hotel did let us have dinner (free of charge) to compensate but the meal was very mediocre and the service appalling. Due to our experience I could not recommend this hotel to anyone although of course we did not sample the rooms.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 898Annie
Dear 898Annie

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we were not able to accommodate you at the Palace Hotel, the burst water tank was obviously not something that we could foresee. I have noted your constructive criticism about the hotel that we transferred you to and I will speak to them about your concerns, should you wish to discuss this in person with me I’d be delighted to take your call.

James Lake
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
Bagshaw Hall
#3 of 6 in Bakewell
The Westminster Hotel
Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!