“Disappointing interior”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing interior”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Charming old building which is ideally located for the square, gardens, shops and restaurants.

Was rather disappointed with the interior - a generally old and tired appearance especially the lift. Room was rather small but the bathroom was extremely large! Stayed here as I was visiting to attend an event and setting out at 7 am. The hot water did not work and I was in a hurry so settled for a lukewarm shower. I had paid for breakfast but left without having it - no mention was made of this on check-out or offer to waive charges.
Over-priced for what it is.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear MGMel

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your stay at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

I was delighted to read your kind comments about the team and your stay overall, please be assured that I will pass your comments onto them. I do understand your concerns about the hotel appearing tired and we are working our way through a bedroom redecoration programme to improve this. Perhaps when you are next staying with us you could contact me directly and I will ensure that you receive one of these rooms and I’m sure that you will be impressed with the work that we have done.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

James Lake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (654)
Liverpool UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

In its day this must have been a magnificent hotel. Sadly its day has passed and what is left is a creaky, old and tired hotel.
We stayed in a premium room but I doubt it was worth the extra. The floor boards creaked in our room and the one above. The décor and furnishing are shabby, chipped and scratched. Dinner was nothing to write about. In contrast the restaurants in the town were very busy and there is a wide choice.
Breakfast was very good. My wife had some beauty treatments which, again, were nothing to write home about.
Overall quite poor, the reason I have put average is that the staff were very good. Nothing was a trouble and they were very polite and helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KenLiverpoolUK
Dear KenLiverpoolUK

Weymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

We booked for two nights at the Palace Hotel in Buxton. Overall it is a nice enough hotel. The staff are great. It is a little worn around the edges and the food not as good as I expected.

Our first impression of the hotel was slightly marred by finding £4.50 charge per night to park. How odd to charge your guests for the privilege of parking!

The staff, as I say, were excellent. Daniel, on the front desk was efficient and friendly in booking us in.

The room was spacious. We had a good view over Buxton and the facilities were fine. Parts of the hotel look in need of repair - the curtain in the bathroom for example should have been replaced a long time ago. Overall the decor in both room and hotel is good. The bed (and I am fussy about my bed) was very comfortable. It was however very clean. "Clean but tired".

On to supper. There was a male voice choir staying. We were booked in at 8pm for supper. We headed down at 7:30 for a pre dinner drink. At 8 we went to the restaurant. This is where the service shows the great staff brilliantly. The maître d', Lesley Twigg, advised us that the choir meant they were very busy and we might want to have a drink first because there could be a big delay. As we had already had a drink we chose to sit at the table and watch and wait. It is always a joy seeing a team work well together. Lesley marshalled the waiting team superbly. Add to this that our own meal was not unduly delayed. Twenty minutes after sitting down we had food (I waited longer than that at our local pub recently!).

The food itself was "mostly" good. The menu had choices but they were uninspired. We enjoyed what we chose - the only let down was the "seasonal vegetables" which I can only guess came from a mixed veg bag in the freezer and boiled until the peas were solid. The rest of it was excellent.

Another member of staff to mention was Kris (with a K). He looked after many of the "non-choir" group and did so extremely well. He kept things moving, made sure plates were cleared efficiently, got drinks and so on brilliantly.

Overall we enjoyed our stay. The hotel was clean and comfortable. Yes the menu could be improved. Yes there could be a few bits of tidying/repair. The staff are superb.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark C
Dear Mark C

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and particularly the customer service you received from Daniel, Lesley and Kris, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto them and the remainder of the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback.

Yours Sincerely

Peterborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

This was our location for a family birthday celebration. The hotel is clearly past it's best, but the rooms are comfortable and clean. They offer very spacious accommodation in what clearly was a top class's hotel in its day. The food was good and well served although the bar service was very poor...we waited over an hour for a glass of wine. The spa facilities are good with a well kept gym and swimming pool. Guests can easily walk to the town centre which is pedestrianised and the hotels location is excellent.

Room Tip: All rooms are spacious few look on to the front
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Eric W
Dear Eric W

I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay but disappointed with the service you received in the bar. I do understand your concerns about the hotel appearing tired and we are working our way through a bedroom redecoration programme to improve this. Perhaps when you are next staying with us you could contact me directly and I will ensure that you receive one of these rooms and I’m sure that you will be impressed with the work that we have done.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

The hotel promised much with the photos on the website, but the reality was a run-down hotel with poor quality facilities, and only mediocre levels of service and food to compensate. The leisure club and swimming pool were inadequate, and there is no way this hotel should be rated as 4 star.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank MoseleyMum
Dear MoseleyMum

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence and should you wish to discuss this in person with me I’d be delighted to take your call.

I do hope that you will consider returning to The Palace in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

James Lake

Travellers are raving about these Buxton hotels

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

My room was on the 3rd floor with a view of the countryside around as well as over Buxton. It was dull and a bit shabby and smelt so strongly of bleach that I went out and bought cheap perfume to try and mask the smell. The window opened a little way but wouldn't stay shut unless I put the catch on. This meant climbing on a chair each time to reach the catch.
The bed though was comfortable but there was a limited selection of teas and biscuits (very small) and no bottled water. The bath was a bit stained and the water for the shower took over 10 mins to run hot in the morning. When it was hot it was difficult to keep at a good temperature. If you altered it, even a fraction, it ran cold and then so hot it was scalding.
The staff were helpful and friendly and the breakfast surprisingly good.
I do resent paying for parking in the hotel grounds when the rooms are so expensive for poor quality hotel.

Room Tip: rooms at the front have the view (especially higher up). You could ask for a re-furbished room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Amarajyoti
Dear Amarjyoti

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here on a walking weekend. The room was pretty large and good soundproofing. My bathroom was huge. The restaurant is a very impressive room, very good food, considering we were a large group, lovely building in a good location.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear WendyLord62

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Palace in the future.

Yours Sincerely

James Lake
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
BEST WESTERN Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
New Bath Hotel and Spa
New Bath Hotel and Spa
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath
The Westminster Hotel

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!