“Worth a visit”
Review of The Palace Hotel

The Palace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Had a 2 day break to the palace as part of diamond resort membership. Hotel was quite impressive from the outside but internally some improvements still need following thru in so much as re-furnished rooms. Having switched from twin room (116) at front to double at rear of hotel (150) it's clear that prestigious rooms may be at front. Small room but lacking in overall diamond style and quality. Shower head in bathroom had been taped into position had to stand on taps to get under shower head. Headboards attached to wall set out for twin beds looked odd to say the least, only one bed side table and lamp. Took a long time before hot water came thru taps. As on b & b , breakfast is a buffet style service and is quite good as long as they keep milk urn for cereal topped up. Hotel is centrally positioned very close to a number of restaurants (palace's evening menu limited) and next door to train station if you don't.drive. Staff in the main helpful and cheerful.

Room Tip: Ask for refurb prior to visit
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear les r

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your stay at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to The Palace Hotel in the near future.

James Lake

Write a ReviewReviews (2,966)

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Yes, there is a faded glory about this hotel but we paid less than many would at an impersonal basic motel type place. For what we paid we got excellent service - in marked contrast to a recent stay at another in this hotel chain ( Walton Hotel) where the restuarant creaked along at snail pace! The Palace was efficient and friendly and staff were eager to please; food was tasty and well presented.

My only complaint -and this would stop us coming again was paying for parking! Why? Would rather pay more for the stay!!

1  Thank jkbar1955

Dear jkbar1955

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Palace in the future.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

The Palace Hotel is in a great location. The staff are friendly and helpful. However, the hotel needs a lot of money spent on it to bring it up-to-date. There are some good, refurbished rooms (I was fortunate in having one) and some older, in need of refurbishment rooms (that my friends had).

Room Tip: I had room 113, a large, refurbished room on the first floor at the front of the hotel. From what I...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Andrew J

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Charming old building which is ideally located for the square, gardens, shops and restaurants.

Was rather disappointed with the interior - a generally old and tired appearance especially the lift. Room was rather small but the bathroom was extremely large! Stayed here as I was visiting to attend an event and setting out at 7 am. The hot water did not work and I was in a hurry so settled for a lukewarm shower. I had paid for breakfast but left without having it - no mention was made of this on check-out or offer to waive charges.
Over-priced for what it is.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear MGMel

I was delighted to read your kind comments about the team and your stay overall, please be assured that I will pass your comments onto them. I do understand your concerns about the hotel appearing tired and we are working our way through a bedroom redecoration programme to improve this. Perhaps when you are next staying with us you could contact me directly and I will ensure that you receive one of these rooms and I’m sure that you will be impressed with the work that we have done.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

In its day this must have been a magnificent hotel. Sadly its day has passed and what is left is a creaky, old and tired hotel.
We stayed in a premium room but I doubt it was worth the extra. The floor boards creaked in our room and the one above. The décor and furnishing are shabby, chipped and scratched. Dinner was nothing to write about. In contrast the restaurants in the town were very busy and there is a wide choice.
Breakfast was very good. My wife had some beauty treatments which, again, were nothing to write home about.
Overall quite poor, the reason I have put average is that the staff were very good. Nothing was a trouble and they were very polite and helpful.

1  Thank KenLiverpoolUK

Dear KenLiverpoolUK

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We booked for two nights at the Palace Hotel in Buxton. Overall it is a nice enough hotel. The staff are great. It is a little worn around the edges and the food not as good as I expected.

Our first impression of the hotel was slightly marred by finding £4.50 charge per night to park. How odd to charge your guests for the privilege of parking!

The staff, as I say, were excellent. Daniel, on the front desk was efficient and friendly in booking us in.

The room was spacious. We had a good view over Buxton and the facilities were fine. Parts of the hotel look in need of repair - the curtain in the bathroom for example should have been replaced a long time ago. Overall the decor in both room and hotel is good. The bed (and I am fussy about my bed) was very comfortable. It was however very clean. "Clean but tired".

On to supper. There was a male voice choir staying. We were booked in at 8pm for supper. We headed down at 7:30 for a pre dinner drink. At 8 we went to the restaurant. This is where the service shows the great staff brilliantly. The maître d', Lesley Twigg, advised us that the choir meant they were very busy and we might want to have a drink first because there could be a big delay. As we had already had a drink we chose to sit at the table and watch and wait. It is always a joy seeing a team work well together. Lesley marshalled the waiting team superbly. Add to this that our own meal was not unduly delayed. Twenty minutes after sitting down we had food (I waited longer than that at our local pub recently!).

The food itself was "mostly" good. The menu had choices but they were uninspired. We enjoyed what we chose - the only let down was the "seasonal vegetables" which I can only guess came from a mixed veg bag in the freezer and boiled until the peas were solid. The rest of it was excellent.

Another member of staff to mention was Kris (with a K). He looked after many of the "non-choir" group and did so extremely well. He kept things moving, made sure plates were cleared efficiently, got drinks and so on brilliantly.

Overall we enjoyed our stay. The hotel was clean and comfortable. Yes the menu could be improved. Yes there could be a few bits of tidying/repair. The staff are superb.

1  Thank Mark C

Dear Mark C

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and particularly the customer service you received from Daniel, Lesley and Kris, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto them and the remainder of the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

This was our location for a family birthday celebration. The hotel is clearly past it's best, but the rooms are comfortable and clean. They offer very spacious accommodation in what clearly was a top class's hotel in its day. The food was good and well served although the bar service was very poor...we waited over an hour for a glass of wine. The spa facilities are good with a well kept gym and swimming pool. Guests can easily walk to the town centre which is pedestrianised and the hotels location is excellent.

Room Tip: All rooms are spacious few look on to the front
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Eric W

Dear Eric W

I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay but disappointed with the service you received in the bar. I do understand your concerns about the hotel appearing tired and we are working our way through a bedroom redecoration programme to improve this. Perhaps when you are next staying with us you could contact me directly and I will ensure that you receive one of these rooms and I’m sure that you will be impressed with the work that we have done.

James Lake

Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
#3 of 6 in Bakewell
Buckingham Hotel
Buckingham Hotel
#7 of 9 in Buxton

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!