“Bedrooms Tired & need upgrade!”
Review of The Palace Hotel

The Palace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
“Bedrooms Tired & need upgrade!”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This hotel is centrally located in the beautiful town of Buxton, the setting is beautiful with nice grounds and looks to be a really nice hotel. The restaurant, bar area and grand staircase are nice but need some maintenance. The bedroom however really didn't live up to a 4* standard as the furniture was shabby and dated. There were 2 single beds pushed together so one side didn't have a bed side table and the 2 separate headboards were not aligned with the 'double' bed! The bathroom really needed some refurbishment because of cracked tiles and noisy plumbing, it was however clean! Service at dinner was average, but the drinks did not arrive till the after the main course and we had to ask where they were. Whilst starters and desserts were very nice one pasta main course was not very nice at all.
Breakfast was good, all staff were courteous and helpful. It really is more like 3* to me.

Room Tip: Ask for front of the hotel great views over Buxton.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Gary S

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your stay at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

I was delighted to read your kind comments about the team and your stay overall, please be assured that I will pass your comments onto them. I do understand your concerns about the hotel appearing tired and we are working our way through a bedroom redecoration programme to improve this. Perhaps when you are next staying with us you could contact me directly and I will ensure that you receive one of these rooms and I’m sure that you will be impressed with the work that we have done.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

James Lake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (673)
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Went for away with a group of friends. everything a big hassle for the staff. Customer service terrible. Staff rude at times and dismissive. Despite paying nearly £ 1000 as a group to stay there wanting to charge £10 each for early check in when most of the rooms were ready/ empty. Food average and evening meal poor/ dry/ overcooked. Would avoid.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Della F

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence and should you wish to discuss this in person with me I’d be delighted to take your call.

I do hope that you will consider returning to The Palace in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

James Lake

Travellers are raving about these Buxton hotels

Belper, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I was unsure when I booked the hotel, I stayed here 12 years ago and I remember it was an old grand hotel.
Well 12 years later it is still a grand old hotel. Reception and checking in were fast and efficient, the rooms were extra large although the bathroom was a little on the small side. Yes, the rooms are a little tired, but they still mix it with other top end hotels.
The clientele is probably older, but then again they probably know better.
The breakfast was first class, wifi was fine and the general experience was superb.

Room Tip: Third floor front facing room for the best views.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Bangkokram

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Palace in the future.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Dont go just dont go not worth it.: No hair dryer in room - that's not 4 star!. Did not turn down bed. No mini bar. No safe for valuables. Parking was extra at £4.50 per night and not informed at booking.Ensuite poorly designed, not fit for purpose. Bath took only hot water. No cold feed The bar tender did no know about spirits, forced to take premium malted whiskies. No choice - that's not 4 star Dinner: Table booked for 7.15. Arrived on time then forced to queue with other unsatisfied couples. Eventually shown to table late, asked for water which never arrived. Could not provide non dairy food untill asked several times. Complained to manager. Breakfast- no cups available just mugs- thats not 4 star. Staff did not know what kind of fish they were serving. Mark on reception very helpfull though. It's a 2 star, on a good day

Room Tip: Dont go. Looks good on the outside , but inside its Fawlty Towers. Think Basil....think... oh no not...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bruce S
Dear ap_0011

Alcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed here last night on a business trip. Staff were excellent, so attentive, friendly and helpful. My room was big, but window sills were cracked, floor was wonky and creaky and some of the public areas just need a bit of a spruce. They are clearly trying to spend some money to return it to its former glory, but it needs it. Dinner was good, with a fairly standard, but good selection of dishes. Breakfast was standard fry up, but not great quality. Overall, not a bad place, but just needs a bit of tidying up around the edges. Very good location for nice bars and restaurants.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ap_0011
Dear ap_0011

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Returning to the Peak District with our family,for our 45th.Wedding anniversary we decided on the Palace Hotel in Buxton,as we had spent many happy visits there. This visit was probably the best.Since being taken over by the Puma Hotel Group it has improved in every way. Staff were helpful and friendly.Value for money was excellent (hope it stays so favourable) the food,especially breakfast was very good. The sun shone....what more could we ask for? Our grandchildren did not want to go home!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Rosalind C

England
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed for a family (with dog) break to explore the Peak District. Buxton was perfect to do this and the hotel right in the heart of the town making it easy to explore both in the day and eve.

The hotel was a magnificent building, full of character, a little tired in parts but nothing to stop us enjoying the great facilities of the pool, sauna, gym, restaurant and gardens. The rooms were warm and comfortable, bathrooms were clean albiet a little bit of a squeeze but adequate non the less. All the staff were super helpful, friendly and professional worthy of a 4star hotel. The breakfast was great with buffet cooked and cold choices, although a little busy but then it was school half term.

I would certainly recommend this hotel to the senior members of public as there were many regulars there. There is a lift to all 3 floors but the staircase is very memorable if you use it.

Buxton itself was beautiful with plenty to do if you dont venture out to the Peaks with shops, gardens, parks, restaurants and bars. The Peaks are just stunning and much less busy/commercialized than the Lakes, we will return here from now on.

If I was to pick a fault it would be that the bar area was a little cold and unwelcoming and that the sports bar was never opened.

We will definitely return, highly recommend this location and hotel for any keen or non-keen walker.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank KK2000
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear KK2000

James Lake
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
New Bath Hotel and Spa
New Bath Hotel and Spa
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath
The Westminster Hotel

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!