“Spa visit only. No overnight stay”
Review of The Palace Hotel

The Palace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
“Spa visit only. No overnight stay”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I'd originally wanted to book the sister hotel (nearer to home) but was told it was fully booked, instead I was offered The Palace which was a little more expensive but as it was for a special occasion I didn't mind. The staff member (Lorna) was very helpful and booked us in at The Palace. However when we arrived at 9am following an hour's drive we were told they had no record of our booking. We were supposed to have got a spa package each (2 full length treatments plus robes, towels and lunch). There were two staff members on duty who, to their credit, were apologetic and helpful in trying to fit something in for us. As they were busy arranging an alternative I called Lorna at the sister hotel to explain the situation. I received no apology for her mistake which I was not impressed with considering as it turns out she is the manager of both locations. A staff member came into the waiting room to inform us she could give us mini versions of the treatments we had booked giving us a total of 40mins each. In the circumstances my friend and I were grateful to the staff for offering us something but still very disappointed that our day of luxury would be cut so short. The treatments were ok but far from what I was expecting. My mini pedicure consisted of a short foot scrub, a bit of moisturise and wearing warming slippers. No file and polish as I would have expected. The beautician also left the room twice for quite a while so my 40 minutes was more like 20-25. However, I was given the treatments and a very good discount so have no problem with that really.

When I'd finished I had to ask for a robe (not offered) and got into my swimsuit. I then went to the relaxation room to swap with my friend who would then be getting her treatments (again, different to what we'd booked as we wanted to spend the day together not having treatments one after the other). The room had three loungers, a chair and a chaise longue. All were occupied with women waiting for treatments. The waiting room was also full. I found this odd as by now we'd only seen 4 staff members so couldn't imagine how they would give everyone treatments. It turned out they could possibly. I got talking to some of the women (as the relaxation room is very boring, no magazines or soft music playing) and they told me they were all booked in for 10am. It got to 10.40am and some of the women still hadn't been called into treatment rooms. Very poor organisation. There was also a hen party of 25 waiting so who knows how long they were waiting with no explanation.

After getting bored in the relaxation room I ventured back to reception to ask where the toilets were. I was shown to a tiny, dirty loo round the back of reception. Hardly of "luxury spa" standard. Then I thought I'd go in the pool, found the changing room myself (no tour or directions given) but found it had a coded lock on it so went back to reception to ask for the code. THEN discovered I needed £1 for a locker so once again back to reception for a £1 coin (swapped for a handful of change).

The changing rooms were run down, cold and could do with a deep clean. The pool was warm but the space around it for relaxing is laughable. Two sunloungers were squeezed in at one end toe to toe along the pool edge! We didn't try the steam room or sauna as I am pregnant and shouldn't use them.

In conclusion I really think the advertised prices are far too high for what is a pretty run down spa. I got the feeling the management just book too many people in to get their money and don't really care about customer service. Staff members had a tough job trying to keep all guests happy but remained as helpful as they could in the circumstances.

Other things to improve are:
- No questionnaire for health risks taken (particularly important for me being pregnant! I had to inform them myself to make sure products were safe)
- No spoons for tea and coffee
- general cleanliness
- relaxation room next to loud slamming door of changing room. No calming music or magazines
- no towels provided. Robes only given on request but a bit tatty. My friend's had no belt.
- no lunch option offered
- tiny basic showers
- no tour or explanation of facilities given
- rooms were bland. A lick of paint, nice wallpaper and décor would make a big difference.
- loud chatting in corridors not great when you're having treatments. Staff could be quieter when moving around.

1 Thank LMK30
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear LMK30

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your Spa Day at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence and should you wish to discuss this in person with me I’d be delighted to take your call.

I do hope that you will consider returning to The Palace in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

James Lake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (687)
Saint Albans, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Fairly typical of aged grand Victorian hotels. Could benefit from lots of capital spend that it's never going to get and certainly not cheap - they even charge £4.50 a night for parking on top of the room rate. A good location but not really worth the money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear JMD691

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Palace in the future.

Buxton
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This is an older hotel and and refurbishment is ongoing. However this is more than compensated for by excellent service from all staff. The rooms were spacious and comfortable, as were the public areas.

Dear JMD691

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The venue is ideal for a stay in Buxton. The staff are helpful and friendly, but the hotel struggles a bit because of 'faded glory' - it was obviously a five star hotel in its time, but would need a fortune spending on it to return it to the 'style of yesterday'. The bed was comfortable, but the room was a bit old fashioned, and the bathroom even more so! I would recommend the hotel, but warn potential hotel guests to expect the 'faded glory'!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

2 Thank JEMS1507
Dear JEMS1507

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your stay at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to The Palace Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Went recently with a group of friends for a relaxing "spa" day. What a joke of a hotel!! The facilities (or lack of - there isn't even a jacuzzi!) are old, tired and dirty, the staff make you feel more of an inconvenience than a paying guest. Ordered two bottles of wine from the bar at 21:41 and were told they'd be brought to our table, at 22:20 they had still not arrived despite asking on three separate occasions and with no real apology or reasonable explanation other than "they had to be brought up from the cellar." The only thing that made our stay an enjoyable one were the people we were with. I would definitely avoid this hotel at all costs!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Samantha L
Dear Samantha L

James Lake

Travellers are raving about these Buxton hotels

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This hotel may have scaffolding up but better to be working to put matters right than have it fall down around you! The recent reviews are unkind really. The rooms are fine (although the dressing table chair needed re-padding) and the staff are extremely friendly and helpful The package for us was a spa weekend and all of it was fab. The package included Dinner, Bed & Breakfast and 1 treatment at the spa. All of it was worth every single penny and the spa ladies, Sophie and Jenna were excellent. The dinner was a beautiful menu and very tasty, breakfast was an array of foods and totally scrummy!. For bit of culture and a quaint town then get yourself to the Palace and Buxton.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are currently perhaps not the best since the scaffolding is up but you can still...
2 Thank Shirley12345
Dear Shirley12345

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and particularly the customer service you received from Jenna and Sophie, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto them and the remainder of the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback.

The scaffolding is to repair some lead work caused by a storm earlier in the year and is due to be down in three weeks.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Faded grandeur doesn't compensate for a fairly high price made worse by the unexpected parking charge. A clean and reasonably comfortable but cramped and vaguely scruffy room (the rather battered poor quality furniture is symptomatic). Location in the centre of Buxton perfect though. No more than averagely satisfactory overall.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Szymmy

I do hope that you will return to The Palace Hotel in the near future.

James Lake
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
The Izaak Walton Hotel
Alison Park Hotel
Alison Park Hotel
#4 of 9 in Buxton

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!