“Tired!”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Welwyn, United Kingdom
“Tired!”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Very tired hotel with a very dated view of what customers want. Having to pay for car parking in a non city location is disgraceful. A magnificent building and prime location but desperately needs updating.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Mike A

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your stay at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

I do understand your concerns about the hotel appearing tired and we are working our way through a bedroom redecoration programme to improve this. Perhaps when you are next staying with us you could contact me directly and I will ensure that you receive one of these rooms and I’m sure that you will be impressed with the work that we have done.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

James Lake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (687)
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I booked this hotel with high expectations due to it being £183 per night ( albeit we got the advance booking price of £160). In addition the photos of the hotel give a very good impression and it is a "spa" hotel.

This hotel was certainly a grand and luxurious hotel once, but that would have been a very long time ago.

It is shabby and very, very tired. The bedroom furniture was scratched and chipped and cheap. The en suite was extremely poorly fitted and grubby and very small. It was too hot and the windows barely opened.
I rang room service for 2 glasses of Prosecco, to be told that there would b a tray charge of £5.00. I politely objected and asked the very nice lady to refer to her manager to review this as I wasn't prepared to pay someone to carry 2 drinks to the 1st floor for me. To her credit she did, and she rang back to say they wouldn't charge on this occasion. The lady who brought them to our room, (I assume the same one who spoke to me on the phone) was very friendly and pleasant.

At breakfast we were swiftly told that we had to help ourselves to everything, even make our own coffee and toast. I would expect this in a budget chain but given the price we had paid I fully expect a waiter or waitress to look after us. There were no waiting on staff, clearly saving on the wage bill.

I never cease to be amazed at these tired and shabby British hotels such as this one who think that customers are happy to pay £180 per night for their substandard offerings when we could stay in a Premier Inn or Travel Lodge for substantially less money but get contemporary bedrooms and bathrooms and immaculate cleanliness and value for money.

I will not be returning next year when I will be in the area again for the same event I attended in June.

I do not mind paying these prices, and in fact frequently do, and more for some hotels. I have stayed in 5 star hotels and Premier Inns, it is horses for courses. But I expect to get what I pay for and to get value for money. This hotel needs a huge modernisation and renovation programme to bring it into the 21st century and then to be able to look their customers in the eyes when they ask for £180 per night,

Room Tip: Don't bother- find another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Helen Frances S
Dear Helen Frances S

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence and should you wish to discuss this in person with me I’d be delighted to take your call.

I do hope that you will consider returning to The Palace in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

James Lake

Travellers are raving about these Buxton hotels

Stonnall
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We went to stay at this hotel for one night on an Amazon package and we enjoyed it so much we decided to stay another night. The staff were very helpful and friendly and the room was also very nice with a lovely view over the gardens. Food was good and the service was excellent. This building has an amazing staircase and lots of character. The hotel is in a wonderful position overlooking the town and is handy for the Opera House etc. The restaurant staff were particularly attentive and nothing was too much trouble. The lady at reception was very considerate and very knowledgeable We really enjoyed our stay and reading some of the reviews I wonder whether these people were at the same hotel as us!!!!!

Room Tip: Premium rooms on the front of the building are excellent
3 Thank Emsie65
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Emsie65

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Palace in the future.

Yours Sincerely

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Great hotel just very bad treatments i was really looking forward to them as i myself am a therapist. I received little pressure in the massage and hardly any facial massage and even had my make up left on, if i ever return i will not be booking treatment

Dear KHOLMES124

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to The Palace Hotel in the near future.

Derbyshire
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Arrived for a one night stay as a treat for my daughter. The entire experience was simply horrendous. We were appalled by the dreadful state of our twin room and I asked to be moved. Four more equally dreadful rooms later we decided to check back out. How can this hotel justify charging £90 per night ? The lift has a mind of its own, the rooms are dated both in decor and furnishings, the bathroom fittings are nothing short of disgraceful. We were offered a free drink in the bar whilst the receptionist tried her best to sort a refund for me but after asking twice and waiting for 30 mins we gave up and just left.
I understand that the hotel is undergoing refurbishment. I hope this lovely old building an be restored but fear the investment to bring it into the 20th century will be colossus.
Our short break was ruined and I am now waiting for financial reimbursement.

Our short break was ruined and I am left waiting for the reimbursement to my bank card.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ladyblahblah
Dear Ladyblahlah

Buxton
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Stayed for a week on business so spent little time in the room which was fortunate because if I had chosen to use the hotel for a personal break I would have sought somewhere else to stay. The general condition of the building is poor, but the state of the room was shocking. It was clean, but you can't make a silk purse...........

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

2 Thank MarkW6811PX
Dear MarkW6811PX

Somerset England
Reviewed 27 June 2014

When you drive up to the hotel you can picture how fabulous it must have been in the early 1900s. Great location. The lobby and staircase are still grand but that's where it stops.

The lift only work intermittently and I am sorry but the bedroom is really not a 4 star experience and rather depressing. Ours was a lazy conversion with the light fixture still in the centre of the room right next to where the bathroom had been squeezed into the corner so it looked really odd. The curtains had a big tear in them and all the furniture was chipped. There wasn't even a hair dryer and as reception didn't answer the phone I had to go back downstairs to get one. Good shower in the basic pokey bathroom.

The bar ceiling used to be grand and looks as though it had been refurbished but lots of the plasterwork is peeling off. We didn't stay long as they had run out of bitter and brandy as they had had a big group in and hadn't replenished their stock. The girl behind the bar was sweet and helpful.

Breakfast was very good and the staff were very welcoming

4 Thank cros831
Dear cros831

James Lake
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
The Izaak Walton Hotel
Alison Park Hotel
Alison Park Hotel
#4 of 9 in Buxton

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!