“Success for a large group!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Palace Hotel

The Palace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
London, United Kingdom
“Success for a large group!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed at The Palace over the late May Bank Holiday weekend with just over 100 in our party comprising couples and single travellers. As 'party leader' I cannot speak highly enough of the Events Team and especially Jo Shirtcliffe who was consistently efficient, friendly, patient and understanding in the planning of the weekend.

The Palace Hotel was an excellent base. A classic Victorian hotel, most of us loved its grandeur. Staff were in the main friendly, efficient and attentive and the abiding memory of most of our party is of a great weekend in a very suitable venue.

Meals: the buffet breakfast in terms of quality and quantity would be hard to beat. Evening meal: the quality was average and the service was desperately slow,although on one evening when timings were crucial to us the excellent Trish ensured everything worked extremely well.

It would be possible to report other minor glitches, but they were compensated for by many, many positives. With one exception - that tired old lift with a mind of its own! Try getting 100 people - many of them not the niftiest on their feet - downstairs for a particular departure time!

But that said, and to enjoy the charm and ambience, many of us look forward to the opportunity to return to The Palace.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear ZeptoNeil

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Palace in the future.

James Lake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (654)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Check in was smooth, although we couldnt hear the man on reception over the noise of the orchestra as he wouldnt come away from his computer to speak to us. We were on the first floor and the room was clean and spacious with a nice view towards Buxton town centre. The room had coffee and teas and clean towels which was nice.

The bar staff leave a lot to be desired. The beer was absolutely awful and we had to switch to bottled beer. The draught beer was flat without any head, absolutely disgusting. My husband had a southern comfort and lemonade with lime. We were charged £1 for a splash of lime. The lemonade was £2.20 which meant the mixer cost more than the Southern comfort itself. Unbelievable! We charged all drinks to the room , giving our room number, there was not one occasion where the staff didnt have to double check the room a second time.

Later on in the evening we rang down for some room service. The person on reception who answered gave a big sigh and asked what it was we were wanting. My husband asked what was available and there were only sandwiches. We declined to partake after his bored attitude on the ohone. Clearly he could not be bothered to get us one of their overpriced sandwiches.

We were staying here for a wedding so we had the room discounted. However for £110 for the night I do feel slightly ripped off. Especially with it costing £4 a pint as well for a disgustingly flat beverage.

Breakfast redeemed the hotel somwhat. We were greeted warmly by the host and the choice was large, mushrooms, sausages, bacon, eggs, yoghurt, cheeses, cold meats, coffee, juices, fruit. We also werent charged for the car park as we were part of the wedding group so that was good! The bed was very comfortable and we both had a lovely nights sleep.

I think overall you can get much better value for money elsewhere. The wedding was beautiful and well organised, but the hotel stay left a lot to be desired.

1 Thank Nicola H
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Nicola H

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your stay at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

I do hope that you will consider returning to The Palace in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Definitely palatial. Beautiful old building. Staff welcoming, pleasant, helpful and respectful. Our standard double room was a little basic, but ok. Swimming pool, sauna and steam room were great. Food Amazing! Will definitely be going back.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear ElaineChatwin

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback. We have recently launched a new style of menu and I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed it so much.

cleveleys
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

we had a premium room which was large and clean.Very modern with a large bathroom. our room overlooked buxton. which we thought was great but I would recommend you book a room over looking the back of the hotel as wedding parties congregate outside very noisy until 2 in the morning.This said everything else was brilliant. the breakfast was one of the best I have ever had. the position is the best in buxton and all the staff are friendly.

Room Tip: book rooms overlooking the back for a quiet night.
Dear CleverleysWanderer

Buxton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Extremely enjoyable short break. Hotel staff couldn't be more helpful. Room excellent, spacious, comfortable and clean. Dinner and breakfast delicious with plenty of choice and variety and very well cooked and presented. Would definitely recommend and visit again.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Susan191153
Dear Susan191153

Norfolk, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Having decided to spend the night in Buxton, felt we had to stay at The Palace Hotel, having seen it from the road. However, having checked out Trip Advisor, were warned many rooms were very old and dated apart from those that have been recently refurbished.
I phoned the evening before my trip to check we had one of the refurbished rooms, and were assured we were booked in to one.
On our arrival, blown away by the grandeur that the hotel must once have displayed, only to be shown to a small dark dingy well-worn room not befitting a four star rating. The alternative room we were offered was marginally better, but was accessed from beyond the fire door in the emergency stairwell.
Daniel on reception told us whoever we spoke to should not have told us we were booked into a refurbished room, as they are allocated on arrival and not in advance. I feel I should able to trust the word of who ever I speak to. He did knock off the rather controversial £4.50 car parking charge as compensation, but I feel a better upgraded room could have been offered in a hotel that was clearly not full.
The breakfast was superb however.
I would be very pleased to accept a superior room in the future if the management would offer it to make up for the disappointment of what should have been a celebration of an anniversary.

Room Tip: Insist on a room that is not from the 1950s.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear NancyMartin2014

I do hope that you will consider returning to The Palace in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us, please contact me directly and I will ensure that you receive a complimentary upgrade to a Premium bedroom.

James Lake

Travellers are raving about these Buxton hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed in the palace hotel a few times over the years and this time was definitely the worst. It certainly desperately needs an upgrade as everything in it screams out of date. It will cost a fortune to sort out but it's in such a great position in Buxton that it's got to be worth it. Stayed a weekend with several family members and we all agreed it was a poor show. The evening meal on Friday night was an awful experience. We arrived at 6.30 and were first in. There were 4 adults and 4 young children in our party so we were hoping to get served promptly so we could get the kids settled in our rooms reasonably early. It took 2 and a half hours to get our meals!!! We ordered drinks straight away and they took an hour to come! We asked several times but nobody seemed interested. This went the same way with our meals. In the end the kids were getting really restless and we were desperate to get our meals so we could just go to our rooms. The service was really poor. We've been to Buxton a few times and will seek out a different hotel next time as the palace has really gone downhill fast.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Keyser71

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence and should you wish to discuss this in person with me I’d be delighted to take your call. I am hopeful that I will appoint a new Restaurant Manager this week and I am confident that we will see a dramatic increase in the level of service delivered.

James Lake
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
BEST WESTERN Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
New Bath Hotel and Spa
New Bath Hotel and Spa
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath
The Westminster Hotel

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!