“Massively Over-Sold - Avoid”
Review of The Palace Hotel

The Palace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We booked a spa morning at The Palace Hotel whilst we were camping in the Peaks. Lets start by saying that the men's changing rooms were absolutely awful. Mould growing on the walls, the smell of damp everywhere, rotting wood, paint hanging off the walls.... i was amazed it was even allowed in its current condition. The toilets and showers on our campsite were 100% better, cleaner, and more befitting of a 4 star hotel than these were! (Staden Grange Campsite, Buxton). I'm told the womens changing rooms were better. We then ventured into the pool. It is very dated and the smell of mouldy damp continued. The sauna and steam room were better but with only two plastic loungers to lay on by the pool we were underwhelmed to say the least. The only reason i have given this two stars rather than one is the massage. I was asked if the pressure was ok, it was in a nice room and the staff member was very accommodating. Lunch was included in our package which was basic but tasty. The other issue was having to be asked on 4 different occasions in our 4 hours at the hotel if we had paid!

This place is in desperate need of updating and a deep clean!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Baldrick87

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your spa treatments at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence and should you wish to discuss this in person with me I’d be delighted to take your call.

I do hope that you will consider returning to The Palace in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

James Lake

Write a ReviewReviews (2,963)

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights here at the weekend and for over £100 /night (a discounted rate).

I called ahead of our arrival to ask if the room would be ready at 12.30pm and was informed it was. When were arrived they charged us an early check in fee of £10 as it was before the official check in time of 2.30pm.

We were allocated a small room (231) with I think a small 4ft double bed. It was dark with a small window over looking some kind of roof/construction. It was clean, but had a strange odour to it. I could only find 1 UK 3 pin plug point in the room. The bathroom was dated in need of redecoration with paint peeling.

The bar was expensive and the service was extremely slow. We ordered chips and garlic bread and stressed we needed them quickly, they took over 40 minutes to arrive!

We were there for a wedding in the main hall which was good. Breakfast was included in the rate and the service was better, with the option of ordering different eggs, than the buffet. The fruit selection was minimal and not topped up often enough.

I saw some of the other rooms in the hotel and this particular room was small and dingy and we were very disappointed in the room for the money we paid.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travelati
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Travelati

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your stay at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I have been today, we waited 20 minutes at health and fitness reception, no-one arrived. Finally found the spa and their reception was also close and in darkness (15mins late for appointment because no one anywhere to be found) finally found a staff member. My friend was asked how the pressure was for her back massage, mine never did and I had to tell her she was hurting me, now my back is worse than ever!! Sat in relaxation room, no music or drinks offered. Had to get it ourselves - bearing in mind this is a 5* hotel!! No towels, robes offered, even in the fitness suite. Waste of money and totally unsatisfied!! Will not be going again, imagine if I had to pay full price it would of been £170 !!
Not happy at all

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank LouiseA1990

Dear LouiseA1990

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed at The Palace over the late May Bank Holiday weekend with just over 100 in our party comprising couples and single travellers. As 'party leader' I cannot speak highly enough of the Events Team and especially Jo Shirtcliffe who was consistently efficient, friendly, patient and understanding in the planning of the weekend.

The Palace Hotel was an excellent base. A classic Victorian hotel, most of us loved its grandeur. Staff were in the main friendly, efficient and attentive and the abiding memory of most of our party is of a great weekend in a very suitable venue.

Meals: the buffet breakfast in terms of quality and quantity would be hard to beat. Evening meal: the quality was average and the service was desperately slow,although on one evening when timings were crucial to us the excellent Trish ensured everything worked extremely well.

It would be possible to report other minor glitches, but they were compensated for by many, many positives. With one exception - that tired old lift with a mind of its own! Try getting 100 people - many of them not the niftiest on their feet - downstairs for a particular departure time!

But that said, and to enjoy the charm and ambience, many of us look forward to the opportunity to return to The Palace.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear ZeptoNeil

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Palace in the future.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Check in was smooth, although we couldnt hear the man on reception over the noise of the orchestra as he wouldnt come away from his computer to speak to us. We were on the first floor and the room was clean and spacious with a nice view towards Buxton town centre. The room had coffee and teas and clean towels which was nice.

The bar staff leave a lot to be desired. The beer was absolutely awful and we had to switch to bottled beer. The draught beer was flat without any head, absolutely disgusting. My husband had a southern comfort and lemonade with lime. We were charged £1 for a splash of lime. The lemonade was £2.20 which meant the mixer cost more than the Southern comfort itself. Unbelievable! We charged all drinks to the room , giving our room number, there was not one occasion where the staff didnt have to double check the room a second time.

Later on in the evening we rang down for some room service. The person on reception who answered gave a big sigh and asked what it was we were wanting. My husband asked what was available and there were only sandwiches. We declined to partake after his bored attitude on the ohone. Clearly he could not be bothered to get us one of their overpriced sandwiches.

We were staying here for a wedding so we had the room discounted. However for £110 for the night I do feel slightly ripped off. Especially with it costing £4 a pint as well for a disgustingly flat beverage.

Breakfast redeemed the hotel somwhat. We were greeted warmly by the host and the choice was large, mushrooms, sausages, bacon, eggs, yoghurt, cheeses, cold meats, coffee, juices, fruit. We also werent charged for the car park as we were part of the wedding group so that was good! The bed was very comfortable and we both had a lovely nights sleep.

I think overall you can get much better value for money elsewhere. The wedding was beautiful and well organised, but the hotel stay left a lot to be desired.

1  Thank Nicola H
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Nicola H

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Definitely palatial. Beautiful old building. Staff welcoming, pleasant, helpful and respectful. Our standard double room was a little basic, but ok. Swimming pool, sauna and steam room were great. Food Amazing! Will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear ElaineChatwin

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback. We have recently launched a new style of menu and I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed it so much.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

we had a premium room which was large and clean.Very modern with a large bathroom. our room overlooked buxton. which we thought was great but I would recommend you book a room over looking the back of the hotel as wedding parties congregate outside very noisy until 2 in the morning.This said everything else was brilliant. the breakfast was one of the best I have ever had. the position is the best in buxton and all the staff are friendly.

Room Tip: book rooms overlooking the back for a quiet night.