“Disapointed”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Glossop, United Kingdom
“Disapointed”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

booked as a package, as we have stayed at Shirgy hall before. Too many things to mention with this short trip. Food was like eating in a old peoples care home our room was very dated and unsafe for our toddler as its a pull up window - if you don't have it up you can breath. Swimming pool was freezing to the point of only allowing our daughter a toe dunk and the customer service was bad. The package clearly said free wine with meal, well they put in our room and would not allow us to take it down for dinner- scam. We shall not be putting a foot back into this hotel

Room Tip: don't stay in family room
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Richard W
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Richard W

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your stay at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence and should you wish to discuss this in person with me I’d be delighted to take your call. Since your stay we have changed our menu to be much more modern and I hope that should you return you would see a big change for the better.

I do hope that you will consider returning to The Palace in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

James Lake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (704)
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

First sight of the hotel is very impressive: Victorian architecture and landscaped gardens. The hotel inside is equally impressive. Room 315 must be a long way from the hot water tank, we had to run the taps for 5 minutes before we got any in the shower. The room ceiling had a brown water stain on it, a minor issue but one that could have been easily sorted out. Staff helpful and knowledgeable, and the swimming pool a big plus point. Breakfast (which makes or breaks it for me) was a buffet style affair, excellent selection and lots of variety. I would certainly visit again. Paying to use the car park is a bit of a negative though, there is lots of room in it and it is the first hotel I've known do it.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Amazing_badger
Dear Amazing_badger

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Palace in the future.

Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The Palace Hotel in Buxton, England is truly a wonderful place to relax and feel at home. Their friendly, efficient staff is a compliment to the industry. The beautiful charm of the Victorian building adds to the relaxing atmosphere of the area and will transport you to an era of luxury and opulence rarely seen today. I confidently give the Palace Hotel 10 out of 10.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank bboshoff
Dear bboshoff

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

what a fantastic place. breath taking from the outside and even better on the inside. Every member of staff pleasant and helpfull. food fantastic room clean and bed was huge. loved our short break. wish it was longer but not to worry we will be back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank christinecaine
Dear christinecaine

Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I booked in for a spa package which included 1 nights stay, a 3 course meal and a 1 hour spa treatment.
When I arrived with my mum, our room was small but that didn't bother us too much. We only had a shower in the bathroom which was very small and hard to get the temperature right.
Our spa treatment was booked in for 3pm, yet when we got there we were told that there had been a problem so our treatment had been moved to 4pm. This wasn't a problem but no one contacted us beforehand. We went back to the spa at just before 4pm and there was no one on reception, but we could hear people talking. When we eventually went in for our treatment it was 4.15 and my mother and I were in the same room for our massages. I did not think this was appropriate, especially since it had been sprung on us. When the massage finished we looked at the clock and it was 4.55pm. We'd not had 25 minutes of our treatment, even though they were running late we were penalised. Then whilst we were leaving my mum was rudely asked if she had paid for the massages and if she had proof.
Thia seemed to be the norm as when we checked in they tried to charge us again.
The restaurant was ok, the food wasn't anything to rave about and there wasn't a big selection.
It was an ok stay, I'd just advise people to stay away from the spa as they are rude and rip you off.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Amy F
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Amy F

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to The Palace Hotel in the near future.

Doncaster, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I took my daughter for a special treat along with my mother and her friend and was anticipating a nice chilled day. On arrival, the grounds looked gorgeous...unfortunately, the hotel itself was run down with cheap decor and a funny smell. There was a staffing problem so our treatment times had to be moved. Not a massive problem and we got free robes for the day as compensation. The robes were rough, grottty and the pockets were torn. So we decided to go for lunch. One staff member told us where the restaurant was and also where we could find places to eat outside the hotel. I thought this was a little strange as they usually encourage you to use the facilities on site. It very soon become apparent why. The waitress (very pleasant) first accidentally threw a drink at my daughter. To be fair it was an accident which she was very apologetic. We ordered our food. 30 mins later for 2 burgers and 2 sandwiches all coming out with 5 minute intervals in between... and the burgers were inedible. The bill was extortion and when the waitress asked us if we enjoyed it (to which my mother replied, "no it was terrible"), the waitress laughed and continued with the bill. We then headed up for our treatments. I must say we all enjoyed our treatments. However, the getto blaster in the corner kicking out classical music and being turned off the minute out treatment was over was a little off putting. But, this was definitely the highlight of the day. We then headed to the pool. Dark, dingy only 2 comfy chairs. I dipped in the pool for 10 mins, but to be honest at this point I was ready for home. I couldn't get out fast enough. I only gave this place 2 stars for the treatments and the staff who I felt were all trying their best. The rest... not much fun at all

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kerry L
Dear Kerry L

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your spa treatments at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

James Lake

Travellers are raving about these Buxton hotels

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We booked a spa morning at The Palace Hotel whilst we were camping in the Peaks. Lets start by saying that the men's changing rooms were absolutely awful. Mould growing on the walls, the smell of damp everywhere, rotting wood, paint hanging off the walls.... i was amazed it was even allowed in its current condition. The toilets and showers on our campsite were 100% better, cleaner, and more befitting of a 4 star hotel than these were! (Staden Grange Campsite, Buxton). I'm told the womens changing rooms were better. We then ventured into the pool. It is very dated and the smell of mouldy damp continued. The sauna and steam room were better but with only two plastic loungers to lay on by the pool we were underwhelmed to say the least. The only reason i have given this two stars rather than one is the massage. I was asked if the pressure was ok, it was in a nice room and the staff member was very accommodating. Lunch was included in our package which was basic but tasty. The other issue was having to be asked on 4 different occasions in our 4 hours at the hotel if we had paid!

This place is in desperate need of updating and a deep clean!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Baldrick87

James Lake
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath
Buckingham Hotel
Buckingham Hotel
#7 of 9 in Buxton

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!