“Overpriced for all its (faded) glory”
Review of The Palace Hotel

The Palace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Reviewed 2 August 2014

You should know what these sort of places are like by now. Even so, you assume at this price your room will be the standard of a modern hotel and there is always a slight disappointment when it turns out to have faults of one kind or another.
Don't be put off by this. You can move the telly around to suit. You can even open the window. There's not a square pillow in sight. Soak in the atmosphere: comfy chairs, a few people under 99, and - was that Alan Bennett peering round the corner with a film set in tow? Don't be in a hurry for breakfast. We don't walk we shuffle. Fun. However mushrooms that are past their sell by date should really be peeled before being cooked.
Staff friendly and helpful.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear grahamekean

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your stay at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

James Lake

Write a ReviewReviews (3,055)

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed for 2 nights in searing heat so maybe not the best time. Room ok, not too hot but still uncomfortable. Room fairly small but clean and bed comfortable. Faded grandeur best sums up the hotel. Used pool a couple of times, very welcome in the heat. Breakfast had most of what you'd expect but no croissants. Hot items rather lukewarm. Otherwise o.k. Hotel is supposedly 4 star but I think 3 star more accurate. However the coup de grace for me was the charge of £9 for 2 nights parking. This was indefensible in my view given the rate for the room. It's hardly a Travelodge !
Sadly couldn't recommend this hotel unless you got a very good discount.

2  Thank smanamana_10

Dear smanamana_10

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a three night break. The hotel is full of charm and grandeur but with great friendly service and exceptionally clean bedrooms.

The pool was great for my three children and the bar menu suitable for all.

We used the hotel as a base to visit Alton Towers which was only 40 minutes away across the most stunning settings. The sat nav even bought us there the back way and so avoiding the traffic.

Superb stay and look forward to returning.

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Paul W

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Palace in the future.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Firstly the location is great, very central, minutes away from the Crescent, Park & Opera House. We parked off the hotel to avoid charges about 5 minutes away, plentiful free (on street)parking just past the Devonshire Dome. Other greats, our room view - overlooked the town, guess we were just lucky on that front. Breakfast itself was great, good choice in both hot & cold options, cereals, yoghurts, hams, cheeses, pastries + the full cooked breakfast, all buffet style, Various choices of coffees, teas & juices. Swimming pool, Sauna, Steam Room all bonuses.
Negatives are that the whole place is tired, our room was like a very average B & B room with a tiny bathroom, paper was peeling etc. Initially the breakfast hall looks great, looking at the ceiling & ornate features etc. but look closely at your chairs you will see that they have had better days.
At the right price would return as the pluses out-weighed the negatives for us.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel, great views!
1  Thank Linconshire couple

Dear Linconshire couple

Reviewed 30 July 2014

The Palace is a charming and characterful hotel and one of my favourites. The rooms are old fashioned but good with everything you need. However there has been a deterioration in the food quality, standards and service in the restaurant and now you no longer get a choice of bread with your meal. You have to order it and pay £3.50! Also many of the chairs are filthy and we had to change to find clean ones. No action was taken, they just swapped them with other tables! It would not take much to get them cleaned. This was very disappointing. Service was slow and had to be chased. Also the men's changing room for the pool and gym are in a sorry state with rusty radiators, damaged wood and constantly wet floors - all due to the fact they do not install a dehumidification system which would save all these problems and make it much more comfortable. They also persist with the £4.50 daily car parking charge which I think is not reasonable for guests and is always a bone of contention. There is free wifi but limited unless you pay. It works OK if you just want to check emails and get information. To download, you need to subscribe.The management seem to be more preoccupied with changing the brand name than looking after and ensuring their hotels are in good order.
Overall I would probably look elsewhere for my next visit unless they improve.

Room Tip: Front facing give a lovely view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jeremy N

Dear Jeremy N

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Premium prices, economy rooms, service and breakfasts. Sticking doors, sopping wet settee, insipid coffee, lack of staff, inedible buffet breakfast. The hotel promised so much and delivered so little. Will not be back.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Baszunia

Dear Baszunia

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence and should you wish to discuss this in person with me I’d be delighted to take your call.

I do hope that you will consider returning to The Palace in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

The Palace is imposing and well situated ,especially as we had a function at the Devonshire Dome, but the Opera House as well as many other sites in Buxton are at hand.The Staff the room and the buffet breakfast choices were excellent.Parking on site is extra but well worth it for the parking on the streets around could be problematic I would think.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Scotty186356

Dear Scotty186356

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Yours Sincerely

James Lake

Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
The Westminster Hotel
New Bath Hotel and Spa
New Bath Hotel and Spa
#2 of 2 in Matlock Bath

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!