“Another great stay”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Bristol
“Another great stay”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This is the second stay at the Palace. The first being by hen party, and this time I visited with my husband and 15 month old son for my birthday. Its a great hotel for location, character and facilities. The staff were really friendly whenever you spoke to them, or even passed by and there is a great atmosphere in the hotel. Breakfast was great (and was available until 10am - bonus!) although a choice of more fresh fruit would have been better for my banana mad son.

A walk around the hotel and you can appreciate some of the history and grandeur, the lobby, dining area and the large function rooms are beautiful and well kept. The pool looks like its been refurbed. Its a little small but nice for a dip or to jump in after the sauna. I also had a lovely pedicure so thumbs up to the spa (and staff despite a slight booking mix up)

There is obviously a but coming...the rooms and corridors need a complete overhaul. It looked like the far section of the 3rd floor had been done and it is hopefully a sign of things to come for the rest. The rooms are comfortable, clean and all different in size I think. Ours was a great size with a gorgeous view of Buxton. The bathroom was huge but 'utilitarian' is the only way I can describe it. With a huge amount of investment and decorating the hotel could be luxurious but at the moment I'd say comfortable. If you're looking for somewhere with character, charm and history this place is great. If you're put off by scuffed furniture, and peeling paint in the hallway then book somewhere else, no doubt for more money.

Good value too, the advance rate on the hotel site was good at £80p/n including 2 breakfast. With breakfast costing £25+ in many hotels these days we were pleased with the price.

Room Tip: We asked for a nice view and were given one.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank cloudnine83
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear cloudnine83

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Palace in the future.

James Lake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
Worcestershire
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I agree with other reviewers - the Palace has been a splendid building and is still spectacular, but a little tired., but it certainly has character. Faded grandeur We took our dog, so accepted that we would not get the premium rooms. We had a family room which was very large - two single beds and two singles pushed together to make a huge double, plus a sofa, table and chairs. The bathroom was a good size and the shower worked well. There was not mention of eco -tourism and saving laundering on the towels, which was a shame. However, there was no bedside table on one side of the bed, which was very inconvenient, so we moved the table from the settee over, which worked ok. The sash windows would have been great, but there was a stop on them so that it would only open upwards about six inches - and this was one of the hottest weeks of the years; the sun came in the room and made it almost impossible to keep it cool. However, the bed was comfortable.

Breakfast was satisfactory, but not great. The staff were all very pleasant and very helpful. We did not try the pool. There were small children using it, but they had cordoned off a lane for swimming, which was a good idea. However, I do think that children should only be able to use the pool up until, say, 4 or 5 pm so that there is SOME time for adult swimming.

Dinner was a disappointment: the menu was not particularly exciting, but I have to say the dishes were cooked and presented beautifully. There was not a huge choice, and the menu was identical both days. We learned that it was only changed ONCE A MONTH!! If we had been staying for more than two nights, we would have been hard pushed to choose something on the third night.

The hotel is very imposing in the town, and well situated. Buxton is lovely with great facilities.

Having to pay for car parking was an unwelcome shock.

The outside area is lovely, but it is a pity that the cigarette ends that littered the grass around the tables were not cleared up, or ash trays provided for smokers.

We would definitely stay again. The upkeep on such a property must be enormous, but The Palace does look a little tired, though, we found, not as much to its detriment as some people have commented. It has joined a new Hotel Group; it is to be hoped that they will find the necessary capital to invest in this worthwhile property.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front are hot in summer, but lovely views of the town.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear oldandknackered

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We went on a last minute bus trip and what we paid we didn't expect a lot. The hotel is impressive when you walk in but as u go upstairs it is tired and needs some TLC. our room was adequate for us but again needs some updating but the bathroom was tiny . The food was good but the service was dreadful. the first night everyone was served and we waited and waited and waited for ours in the end I had to look for someone to come and serve us. the second night we ate out but a couple who we sat with said it had been the same , the third night was perfect but on the court night went back to the way it had been the first night. Waiting staff were in and out of the kitchen but carrying nothing. Breakfast was self service and couldn't fault it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Marilyn H
Dear Marilyn H

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your stay at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to The Palace Hotel in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 3 consecutive working weeks on business at the start of July. First impressions of the hotel are spectacular as you drive up into the car park and see how huge the place really is. The lobby is also very grand and makes for an impressive entrance that leaves you gazing around at the pillars and big old central staircase. Checking in was very quick and easy each week, the friendly and helpful receptionists making the process simpler. Receptionists seemed happy and able to help out with requests, one of the days of my stay I requested an ironing board and one was sent to my room within minutes and I saw them helping out other guests with things like the wi-fi during my stay. The wi-fi was free throughout the hotel, signal was good in rooms and it was good enough to do standard web browsing and checking emails; you'll stuggle to stream video like BBC iPlayer though.

Each week my room was different and overall they were all pleasant enough. Well sized rooms with comfortable beds (one of the rooms was a triple and in that room the double bed was two singles pushed together, not something I'm overly keen on but I didn't find it to be uncomfortable.) and nice enough bathrooms. I would have to agree generally with many of the reviews of this hotel that the rooms are in need of a bit of a refurbish. There is nothing wrong with the old fashioned style but certain aspects of the rooms needed updating. The windows in each room were old fashioned slide up and down types with wooden frames and didn't appear to keep the moisture out too well (I would imagine this is more unpleasant in the winter months, not really an issue in the three weeks of sunshine I had during my stays.) and the rooms were each lacking in practically placed plug sockets. In the large triple room I stayed in, the only usable sockets were down by the door and so devices had to be left on the floor whilst plugged in. The rooms seem like they could generally do with redecorating just to spruce everything up a bit as well. Each of the bathrooms were fine, decent power showers and full baths in each, as well as the usual selection of free shower gel and shampoo.

I didn't eat in the hotel in the evenings but the breakfast was very good. Buffet style with a selection of hot food, fruit, pastries and cereal. Good coffee machines make for a nice morning drink and the staff were always prompt and friendly.

Checking out was quick and easy each week with the receptionists again proving very efficient at their jobs.

Overall I would rate this as a very nice place to stay. The hotel is decent, and the staff were friendly; I would definitely recommend the hotel as a place to stay based on my experiences. It just seems a bit of a shame that the rooms have been allowed to age a bit as this hotel could be really spectacular rather than just the 'pretty nice' that it is now.

Room Tip: The lift is slow and a bit of a pain so if you don't feel up to long walks up the stairs ask for...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank pmr5292
Dear pmr5292

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Inspite of booking 3 Premium rooms, the faded grandure and in our case a pokey bathroom left much to be desired. The dinner menu over the two night stay was unchanged and poor value for money. Breakfast and comfortable were good. Will not be returning

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Brian M
Dear Brian M

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence and should you wish to discuss this in person with me I’d be delighted to take your call.

I do hope that you will consider returning to The Palace in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Yours sincerely
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel on a Sunday evening as part of a Sunday Spa Replenish Night. Included in this package was a 1night stay, 60 min treatment, use of pool, sauna and steam room, 3 course meal in restaurant and breakfast the next morning.
The hotel was lovely and had a grand appearance with character charm.
All staff we came into contact with including reception, beauty, gym and restaurant were polite and friendly.
The treatments we had included could be swapped for 2 30min mini treatments as an option. I had facial and manicure which were both very relaxing.
Dinner was superb, can't fault the food one bit but service was a little slow.
The room was clean and a bit dated but we had a room at the front overlooking Buxton so the views were nice. Complimentary toiletries were a nice quality.
Breakfast was really nice, my boyfriend said it was the best hotel breakfast he'd ever had and even went back for extra sausages!! We were even sat next to the supermodel Lily Cole!!
Checking out was quick and easy.
We would definitely stay here again as we really liked the location and atmosphere.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Diane C
Dear DianeC

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We haven't been to this hotel for 13 years. The entrance is grand, very good check in. Our room was good. We met my sister and brother in law here for morning coffee and tea and the waitress was lovely. After going out for lunch we came back for tea again lovely. Checked into our room which we had upgraded and was good, bathroom very dated but clean. Overall the food in the hotel and the beautiful ceilings in the hotel make this a very pleasant stay. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LynMichael
Dear LynMichael

James Lake
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
Bagshaw Hall
#3 of 6 in Bakewell
The Izaak Walton Hotel
Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!