“Glad I ignored reviews”

The Palace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
“Glad I ignored reviews”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Having read the reviews I was upset as I had booked for my daughters birthday, but I am pleasantly surprised. There was a wedding on but still plenty of parking.The entrance is beautiful and like a stately home, if you want modern don't come. The welcome was lovely, we were early but got booked in and left our luggage and headed to the spa. The pool was small but clean and again polite welcoming staff. The sauna and steam room clean no complaints and a well maintained gym finished it off nicely. We then went to our room. 108 twin lovely view which we paid only £16 more for in an upgrade. The view was stunning over the town. Bathrooms scare me even in the best hotel but no mold in sight. The room was more than spacious and yes the furniture was old but still in good condition and clean. Two minutes walk to a lovely town and gardens.Evening meal was reasonable, the service a little slow but the staff were polite and accommodating with meal choices, again what a beautiful setting. Couldn't have asked for more for what we paid and what we received. Thankyou for a lovely birthday spa break.

• Stayed August 2014
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear picaboos

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Palace in the future.

Yours Sincerely

James Lake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (654)
walsall
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

We turned up to be told that we had to stay at an alternative accommodation as they had leaks in ten rooms that day. Yet at alternative accommodation we were told our room had been booked for four days. There was large wedding at Palace Hotel which is most likely the real reason we had no room there. This trip was booked six months ago for my wifes birthday so this totally spoilt her birthday. We were still booked in for meal at The palace and food was nice but took forty five minutes for puddings to arrive.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Craig D

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.com following your stay at The Palace Hotel, Buxton.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence and should you wish to discuss this in person with me I’d be delighted to take your call.

I do hope that you will consider returning to The Palace in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

James Lake

Travellers are raving about these Buxton hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Went there with my wife for a 4 day break (Bed / Breakfast / Evening Meal ) at the start of August. Quite a grand looking hotel outside and inside. Our room was not unfortunately up to standard for a supposedly 4 Star Hotel. We only had 1 seat between us / hardly any shelves for your toiletries / a heated towel rail that wasn't / electrical wiring visible at bottom of towel rail / ramshackle wardrobe with screws bolted through the side panel holding the door on / kettle on floor attached to extension lead. We complained and were given a supposedly refurbished room which was a tad better , but nothing great. We used the Swimming Pool which had tiles missing on the walls and I stood on a loose tile at the bottom of the Pool. I could have cut my foot on it but luckily didn't.
No complaints on the Restaurant. The food was reasonably decent without being exceptional.
For the prices they charge here , I would have expected better. Not a particularly memorable experience.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms first before you decide to stay.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jim N
Dear Jim N

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to The Palace Hotel in the near future.

Ludlow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Like others we were offered a 3rd floor room which was ghastly, dark and uninviting. We asked for a change of room and we were given a much better room at the front of the hotel overlooking the grounds and the town of Buxton. The staff were great, and slightly apologetic for the fading glory of this old pile. But we all have a choice, we can use these places or we can see them disappear to be replaced by rip off palaces or travelodges. We were told that they are renovating a room a week, so hang on in there, in a mere 10 years it may be worth the £120 we paid (including parking).

Room Tip: Accept nothing on the 3rd floor. Don't be afraid of asking to move rooms, the staff ate expectin...
Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
James L, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear thomasmartinthomas

I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay but I do understand your concerns about the hotel appearing tired. We are working our way through a bedroom redecoration programme to improve this. Perhaps when you are next staying with us you could contact me directly and I will ensure that you receive one of these rooms and I’m sure that you will be impressed with the work that we have done.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

This hotel had mixed reviews but we decided to give it a go for a weekend for a wedding. It was really impressive from the outside and, apart from looking a little tired, the public rooms downstairs were also very grand with beautiful chandeliers and an amazing staircase. One lift for a hotel of this size was a little difficult but Unfortunately the bedrooms were a real let down :-( Very dated, which on its own would be acceptable, but not just in need of an update - in need of a great deal of TLC. The bed side lightshade was ripped, the bathroom mirror had a long brown line down the middle and the light pull in the bathroom was simply a piece of dirty cord with a knot in the bottom! The shower was a trickle and the room was very cold on the first night. I asked reception if the heating could be put on in the room the following morning and was told the heating came on throughout the hotel at the same time, but it had been off because of the warm weather (it wasn't warm when we got there - 12 degrees through the day) It would take a while to reach us on the 3rd floor but she would try to access a heater for that night but couldn't promise. We never got the heater but it didn't really matter for two days. On the positive side the pool looked nice, the staff were very pleasant and the breakfast good with a wide selection. Whilst I recognise the difficulties in restoring an old building like this to its former glory, not to mention updating electrics and plumbing, I don't think it would be too difficult or costly to have non ripped lampshades, clean lightpulls with plastic ends on instead of a knot and a decent mirror. Very disappointing for a beautiful building :-(

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet, upper floor room and was not disturbed :-)
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Morag H

Codnor, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel sits in an opposing site overlooking Buxton but the hotel itself was very tired and needs a lot of money spending on it. Our room had damp, the bathroom's tiling repairs were terrible. The food was very good except that the soup was cold, but that was rectified when mentioned it to the staff. My wine glass had a chip out of it too. However all of the staff were great, friendly and helpful

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Castle Cary, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Our first holiday with 9yr old grandchild travelling to Scotland so needed a good stop over to break the journey. Decided to stop at Buxton as had a great offer via Amazon vouchers for the Palace Hotel. As it turned out The Palace Hotel was a brilliant choice. The hotel is beautiful, Victorian elegance with modern convenience. The family room was huge and just perfect for the 3 of us (would easily suit a family of 4 ). the main bed was huge and VERY comfortable, as was the single bed(s) with lovely fresh bed linen. We enjoyed a delicious evening meal, the menu choices very good for children & adults alike. After an early morning swim in the quiet pool, the morning breakfast was a perfect feast, tasty and plentyful. All the staff were lovely,curtious and friendly. Grandchild enjoyed the free children's pack with games etc.,. We also loved the town of Buxton, there is a lot to do and see, and when we revisit we will stay at the Palace Hotel again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear DenysRyalls

Thank you for your recent review of The Palace Hotel, Buxton on Tripadvisor.com

Yours Sincerely

James Lake
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
BEST WESTERN Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
New Bath Hotel and Spa
New Bath Hotel and Spa
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath
The Westminster Hotel

Been to The Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!