“Could be better”

Buckingham Hotel
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
“Could be better”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Our room was clean and a good size, the beds were comfy, the tv worked fine but was old as were the two chairs, the bathroom was enormous, but in desperate need of a makeover. My biggest gripe however is with the breakfast, yes it has loads of cereals, juices and preserves, kippers, kedgeree etc but no eggs and bacon etc and it costs £20 for 4 and you make your own toast! The pancakes my children had looked and tasted bought in and I wonder how much food is freshly made there. We ate in the restaurant once and I had liver, bacon and onions, their menu said it would be 'pink' alas mine was grey and tough and drowned in gravy! I think the hotel could be great if they spend a bit of money on it and take their food more seriously. It's in a great location and just needs a bit more effort and a change of the silly website.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Derby
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

We stopped at the hotel on May 18th as we were going to the pavilion arts centre to watch a comedian. We booked last minute and we weren't disappointed with the quirky decor and friendly staff. We stopped in room 5 the Gwyneth Paltrow room. Fairly small room, but just what we needed for our nights stay. The bed seemed comfy at first but in the morning my other half had a bad back as it went down at the top on his side. Apart from that really enjoyed our stay. We didn't have the continental breakfast or drink in the Ramseys bar. The location was perfect. We would stop here again.
We recommend Buxton tap for the lovely food and ales and charlottes tea room for a lovely breakfast if you don't have the hotels continental.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Southport, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Whoever sought out this house, designed the decoration, collected the theatre posters, selected the staff, agreed the menu and sourced the food ... whoever you are ... don't change a thing.
This hotel is beautifully decorated and furnished. It's like coming into the home of a slightly unusual (entertaining and better than sane) person. The wallpaper and the furnishings are not brand new. They have the signs of wear that you'd expect in any well-loved, properly-used possession.
Notice the slight difference between the pink chalk paint on the dining room server and the pink metallic paint on counters and window sills. This is a work of art.
Then the evening meal is prepared by a proper chef in whites, using the best ingredients - garden peas sweeter than you'd think possible, lamb as tender as chicken. The staff are lovely and the atmosphere makes you want to stay, or at least to come back very soon.
If you want a cooked breakfast, wander across to the Pavilion Gardens for 9:30.
If you mind that the lift is painted red, go elsewhere. You do not deserve this place.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Isobel D
dorset
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I am a real ale man, and one of the things that attracted me to this hotel was the vast range of real ales on offer, and yes on arrival there were 8 pumps (taps) behind the bar but alas only 3 working and that was only briefly, it was down to 2 when I went for my second pint, so at 7.30 we set off for the local Witherspoons!

The room itself, clean comfortable bed, very strange bathroom floor.

We did not try the continental breakfast but nipped in to Buxton and descended on Gregs, a good choice!

The hotel itself, I would stay at again, cheap and eccentric with parking! But not for fans of real ales, why advertise something and not deliver. In fact I have just down graded from average to poor because of that.

Otherwise I would have rated as good, ie abouve average but not very good!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank abacusman

Travellers are raving about these Buxton hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is a bit of tough one. I think there is a real place for the eccentric and the bizarre, but this hotel is more odd, than fantastic. Too many hotels lack personality, however I agree with others that this one is tired, outdated and feels dirty. These things could easily changed, but I think that there is a more fundamental problem with the Buckingham - a lack of interest in those who stay. This was confirmed to us because of the complete lack of emphasis on us. The following should be noted:

There is no cooked breakfast - just cereals and toast.

Our room (no 23) is tied, lacks repair and is dusty. A smell that lingers throughout the building.

The place is full of pictures of film stars, every room, the stairs, landings ....giving a very uncomfortable 'being watched feel' - I suggest the money spent on frames could be better spent on making the place more pleasant for residents. The lift is an experience in itself!

It's clear that more money can be made from locals using the bar than the residents. On both nights we stayed it was overtaken by locals watching sport on one of the 3 televisions that dominate the area. These people (mostly men) were allowed to sit outside smoking - speaking louder and louder. We were on the front and when we went out there were people very drunk sat in the entrance smoking. Others we spoke to suffered more being above the bar.

I think its tough because this could be a nice hotel. The location is great - next to a lovely park and five minutes from the centre of town. The evening menu also offers variety and the meal we had was good. However we ended up at a hotel across the road on the second night for a quiet drink.

I don't even object to the theme however it feels like it's more an obsession, than a curiosity for hotel customers. One for Alex Poliski me thinks.

I suggest people don't stay here unless they want an experience, what to mix with the younger locals and like sport!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Lloydie1210
Lisbon
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Just the type of hotel I like - lots of soul, a certain atmosphere from a past age, helpful staff, an unexpected touch of eccentricity and individuality. In earlier comments I noted the old complaint that the hotel needs refurbishment. But IMO this is well reflected in the price we paid - the hotel may be closer to the end than the beginning of its life cycle of renovation but it's still up to standard (cleanliness etc.). I gave it five stars for the price/quality ratio.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CALisbon
Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Very dated and in need of a refurb. Room was OK , relatively newly decorated but with the nice curtains hanging off on one side. Everything in the room seemed to be in the wrong place. Bed at the wrong end of the room ,so no bedside table on one side and a second single bed crammed in. Bed saggy so had to leave husband and sleep in single bed. Difficult to get in bathroom because of the way door opened in relation to the bed. Once in had to squeeze past a cracked washbasin to get to the loo. Again, a bit of thought about the layout and it could have been fine with just a shower in.
The room was covered in photos of Brad Pitt. Why?? People have described the filmstar photos everywhere as 'quirky themed', I think it's just odd.
Good position in relation to Pavilion Gardens and theatre. For some reason the lounge door on the left as you come into the reception was locked after we returned from the theatre about 10.30 and room was in darkness.
Breakfast had to be paid for separately. Again all a bit odd. Tables too small for 2 to eat on comfortably. 30 cereals in boxes and separate jams on a shelf. Kedgeree or boil in the bag kippers but no eggs or bacon. 1 poor waitress on her own.
Would I stay there again? No. It was cheap and fairly clean, but next time I'll pay more and stay somewhere nice.

Room Tip: No idea. Have spoken to friends who've stayed here and all the rooms vary enormously. Have a loo...