“Worst hotel ever”
Review of The Old Hall Hotel

The Old Hall Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Reviewed 27 May 2012

I stayed here with my wife last night to attend a wedding function at the dome, which it was very conveniently located for. And that is about the only good thing I can find to say about it. Booked through hotels dot com and rate promised free wifi, bathrobes and hair dryer. No mention of no hotel parking. Arrived to check in, no parking at hotel. You have to find a spot on one of the three busiest streets in Buxton, then return to the hotel get a ticket (for £3) then go back to your car. Ok an oversight one might say. The faded glory and run-down look of the hotel might even have a certain charm to some. However, the piles of dirty linen at 14:00 in the corridors doesn't have any charm at all. Neither did the frankly disinterested staff. Arrived at the room (after wandering the halls following the vaguest directions ever), and wow. So much furniture, in so small a space. Two armchairs leaking their stuffing, a battered triple wardrobe, a desk (no pen, or pencil. On the opposite side of the room from the phone. Random!), a chest of drawers, and the crowning glory.... The bed. The bed was a masterpiece of decrepitude. Whilst lying on it, ones feet were well above ones head. The mattress was worn out, large hollows testament to the many many years it was there. Unfortunately it didn't really fit the bed frame. Unfortunately, none of the bedding fit either. Duvet cover was too short for the duvet. Sheets too small for the mattress. (but at least they were clean). Two remote controls for the tv. Labelled 1&2 and an entertaining instruction sheet as to what to do. 5 minutes of experimentation revealed, even more amusingly, the remotes were labelled the wrong way around. Time for a shower. The bathroom was...worn. Mildew on the shower seal, dusty skirting boards, lights with no shades. No bathrobe. (contrary to booking promise). Turned on the shower, found the razors edge between the temperature of the surface of the sun and hypothermia induction, and stepped in. Fell in. I failed to detect the not-so-subtle slope of the bath. (note to anyone with kiddies here, don't under any circumstances let them set up the shower alone. On a v serious note the thermostatic component of the shower was clearly not working. A child could easily burn themselves). Having showered my wife had discovered that no hair dryer was present (promised in the booking as well). So I popped out to buy one. Meanwhile my wife tried out the complementary wifi. Or not. Since there wasn't any. (some rooms do. Some rooms don't, so if your on business beware!). We went out, returned, and spent 3 hours waiting for the outside noise to subside. The windows were useless at noise mitigation. Next morning woke, went or breakfast, waited an hour to be seated, ordered & served. When I finally got breakfast it was in edible, rubbery bacon, strangely runny sausage, watery mushrooms. So decided not to imbibe. Final insult was when I asked at reception why on booking no mention is made about no parking, no robes, no wifi, and no hair dryer I was dismissed out of hand. So in summary, worst hotel ever.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
6  Thank DrRoosterJim
SallyRowland, Director of Sales at The Old Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

The majority of problems and grievances mentioned in this email are either incorrect or could have been rectified had the guest contacted reception.
The main points I can comment on to reassure our future guests are the following
1. Hairdryers are in every room – in the dressing table drawer (there was one in this guests room)
2. We very clearly state to all our guests through our own website and that of third party’s we do not have a car park.
3. Wi-Fi is available complimentary, with the historic building and thickness of our walls it is difficult to guarantee this in every room. We have complimentary 3G dongles in reception for our guests to use in the room if this is the case.
4. We pride ourselves on customer service and our team really care about the guest experience. The Manager on duty didn’t have a chance to respond or speak to this guest during his complaint on check out.
I don’t feel it is necessary to comment on every point in this review other than the above. If you would like to address any of the points mentioned please do not hesitate to call the hotel direct and we can put your mind at ease.
Constructive criticism is always appreciated form our guests.

Reviewed 26 May 2012

Very old building, with creaky floors and low doorways, but with a lot of charm. The room was clean and tidy with a decent sized bathroom. We only ate in the Wine Bar after our theatre visit, but the food was good - hake for my wife and a decent buffalo burger and fries for me. However, the highlight was breakfast the following morning which was quite excellent. Cereals and bolied eggs with toast soldiers for my wife and a full English for me with very good tea and toast. Service was very good all round and the hotel was quite busy. Car parking is on-street, but not very expensive and the hotel is very handy for the Opera House - 300 yards away.

Reviewed 22 May 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 21 May 2012 via mobile

The Old Hall hotel is pleasant situated in close proximity of the pavilllion gardens, Opera House and Buxton town centre. First impressions as you walk into the hotel is that it is quite a dark atmosphere and the customer is left wondering where the main hotel reception is especially if one requires assistance with luggage or with the main entrance doors due to not being accessibly friendly. Pre-opera dining is expensive but is justified with a good variety of sourced local foods. The weekly evening bar menu offers don't start till after 7.30pm so if you wish to eat in the bar rather than in the main restaurant before seeing a show at the Opera_House you will be disappointed and thus will pay the full price of the meal as evening performances at the Opera House starts at 7.30pm. This reflects bad management as this should be an opportunity to make more money by attracting Opera visitors to dine at the Old Hall and thus make these offers available before 7.30pm. The dining area is clean and the toilets are also very clean which is comforting to know. The Old Hall Hotel also supports the local brewery if one seeks something of a change which is nice but it would be nice to see more choice by supporting other local brewers in this area which would make the Old Hall stand out from the rest of it's rivals.

• Stayed: March 2012
5  Thank retrodude
Reviewed 17 May 2012

We visited Buxton as a family with young children and this hotel was just what we needed:
- very nice location and close to everything you may need: the gardens, the city center, good restaurants
- reception staff was very friendly and helpful when needed
- very accomodating for children: the cot was in place in our room, there were two room on the groundfloor where we could sit and chat or play with the kids. However, i did not notice any specific games for kids but didnt need any.
- the best of all was the very nicely sized family room, where we could actually walk around even with the cot in place, with also a couch and table for sitting, and the usual TV double and single beds.
- bedroom and bathroom were very clean
- breakfast was generous, with good hot meals (my favourite was the veggie one with beans, but we found the traditional english breakfast a little disappointing), and a good selection of fruits, cereals and breads. The croissants and pain au chocolat weren't grand but acceptable (from a french connaisseur)
- parking was available just in front of the hotel for a samll extra cost
- old style elevator that the kids loved
- free wi-fi

The downsides:
- this is mostly a "celebration" or "special occasions" hotel as I would call them, so don't go there if you do not want to have birthday parties or wedding receptions with guests running around!
- the room was serviced pretty late in the day
- there was a teddy bear fo adoption for "only" 20 pounds! I don't particularly like being "offered" to purchase a toy! Not sure if this was only in our family room
- the elevator is not for eveyone's taste!
- wi-fi worked mostly on the grounfloor

In summary: would definitely recommend

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Gatsbichouz
Reviewed 16 May 2012

My husband and I married at the Old Hall Hotel on the 5th May 2012 and from start to finish were throughly impressed with everything. We did nt want the traditonal sit down chicken dinner but wanted a vintage feel afternoon tea. After meeting with Vicky, the event manager, nothing seemed too much trouble or impossible. We had exactly what we wanted, without scrimping, and had an affordable wedding with the look of high end. Vicky and the staff were tireless and enthusiastic, even with all my fiddley touches!! We cannot thank you enough for a truly super day from start to finish, in a great setting, with fab food and customer service above and beyond. I will definately use you for my next wedding!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I stayed here on a Tuesday night as I was in Buxton for a conference.. The staff could not have been more friendly and really made the stay.. I was lucky enough to have Mary Bowers room which was lovely, a stunning four poster bed greeted me.... and I even had a lovely teddy bear to keep me company...

The hotel has a great collection of small rooms downstairs making it very easy to enjoy a quiet glass of wine whilst catching up on work emails (free Wifi). I also had dinner in the Wine bar and the food was great well priced and very tasty... I had buffalo burger and it was under a tenner..

I stay in Buxton for work on a regular basis and will now only be staying here, great value, great staff, lovely food with comfortable and clean rooms. A great value hotel...

Room Tip: If you are looking for a room with history then try out Mary Bowers room...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
New Bath Hotel and Spa
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath
Rutland Arms Hotel Bakewell
The Izaak Walton Hotel

Been to The Old Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!