The Old Hall Hotel
  • Restaurant
US$172
US$150
TripAdvisor
Hollin Hall Hotel(Macclesfield)(Great Value!)
US$91
US$88
  • Breakfast included
1,360 results
All reviewswine barmary queen of scotsopera housesloping floorssteeped in historyoldest hotel in englandparking ticketpre theatre dinnerwinter warmerlots of historymain restaurantfour posterpavilion gardenshistoric hotellovely hotelexecutive roomwedding breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 November 2013

To my mind, the great thing about Trip Advisor is that it is all about whether the rating matches reality. If I give a 5 star rating to a motorway lodge, that's not because I think it's up there with Claridges hotel, it's because it does what it does to the very best of its abilities, and is surprisingly good for a motorway lodge.

So the Old Hall Hotel, where I've stayed many times, is not a five star hotel, it's a very comfortable, quirky, charming, 4* hotel in a beautiful town - but it has a unique quality that makes me give it that extra star. The floors are wonky because the building is extremely old, there are a lot of stairs around the place (but plenty of help with heavy cases) and the furnishings don't conform to the usual super-modern corporate style which seems to be so beloved of hotels these days. There's a lovely old settle in the bar, comfy wing chairs in the sitting rooms, and it's no wonder it's frequently full of locals who seem to use it as a club as much as anything.

Staff are incredibly helpful, breakfast is freshly cooked to order (thank GOD!!!) and my request for extra blanketing was met within minutes. And there was a teddy on the bed to welcome me in my room. It's comfy, it's warm, it's old fashioned in the best possible way. What's not to like?

But it has been sold out of the family, having been in private ownership for many many years. And sold to a Hungarian hotel chain. They're going to knock out some of the back rooms to put in treatment rooms. I can't help feeling gloomy about the prospects. Hotels like this should be cherished, and it certainly looks busy enough to maintain trade. I hope it stays just as nice.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank MIssDillie
SallyPotter287, General Manager at The Old Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Thank you so much for leaving such a lovely review on Trip Advisor. Our hotel does have a lot of character and we try to keep the old charm as it is one of the oldest hotels in England. I am happy you found the staff helpful and enjoyed the breakfasts. The hotel is part of the Crescent project and we will lose some of the private function rooms in the hotel, although this does make me said it is also very exciting to be part of one of the biggest projects in Buxton and the Peak District. Thank you once again for your review: I hope to welcome you again soon and if you ever wanted any further information about the development of the Crescent and the effects it will have on the hotel please do not hesitate to get in touch with me.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

The room was lovely, overlooking the park. The staff were delightful,,even though a wedding was taking place we didn't have to wait long to be served in the small but beautiful dining room. The food was good and the bed was comfortable.

Will return. Thankyou all for making us feel so welcome.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor. I am so happy to see you enjoyed your recent visit. It is our aim to ensure that every guest has the same service whether you are here for a short or long stay or attending a private function at the hotel. I hope to welcome you again soon to our hotel.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

We stayed here for a "Fizzy Friday" deal - dinner, bed & breakfast in a classic double room & a bottle of prosecco in our room on arrival. It was a damp cold night and we really felt welcome on check in -- the decor is old fashioned & traditional in a good way - very cosy.

Our room was spacious and had a view over a park to the back. The bed was a bit soft for our tastes but it did not disturb our sleep. The room was immaculate. I liked the stack of Derbyshire Life magazines.

Dinner was very good in the main dining room - local food & a nice waitress. Personally I prefer more romantic lighting but that could be easily rectified - perhaps with candles?

The bar areas were well maintained & the one we went in did have lovely low lighting.

Breakfast in the morning was great. Absolutely loads of choice - I see they have won an award for their breakfasts - justifiably so. I had the stuffed Derbyshire oatcake which was amazing. The views over Pavillion Park are very pretty.

This was good value for money as well. Perfect!

SallyPotter287, General Manager at The Old Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Keep an eye on the website for all our latest deals and offers.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Was attending a murder mystery dinner at the hotel, and although only living about 12 miles away, decided to stay the night. We stayed in a Classic Room which was well provided with tea, coffee etc, as well as some bottled water. The staff were without exception warm and welcoming, the service too was excellent. The room was well appointed, very clean and comfortable.
The downsides were minor but I'll mention them anyway. There is a nightclub, I think in the basement. In our room I could hear the music, but it didn't stop either my wife or myself from getting to sleep, and secondly parking is an issue, as the hotel does not have a residents car park. There is parking opposite in pay and display, and which the hotel are happy to sell you a ticket. It only cost me £1.50 to prevent me having to be up and dressed before 8:00am the next day to either move my car or buy a ticket, but it seemed a bit miserly of the hotel to charge me this small sum as I was staying there.
Having said all that, we had a good night, a wonderful breakfast, and would not hesitate to stay here again, and I've already recommended to my boss.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
SallyPotter287, General Manager at The Old Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review on Trip Advisor. I hope you enjoyed the Murder Mystery night as much as we did. I would recommend you to look at our website or Facebook page as all of our events are published on these pages. On the murder mystery night our Orchestra Pit was open as we had a live funk band. I am glad this didn't affect your sleep. Thank you for recommending the hotel and we hope to see you very soon.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Third visit within 12 months. This time to take in a show at the Opera House. Both the breakfast & evening meal were excellent. We found being able to eat the two course evening meal, either side of the theatre visit was a great idea. All the staff were pleasant & helpful. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you so much for leaving a review on Trip Advisor. It is great to see you have chosen our hotel as a regular place to stay when you visit Buxton. The hotel is perfect for guests who are visiting the Opera House. We hope to welcome you again very soon.