“Great hotel in the heart of Buxton”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Old Hall

Old Hall
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Great Ayton, United Kingdom
“Great hotel in the heart of Buxton”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

A lovely hotel in the heart of Buxton. Traditional and cosy with a friendly staff the hotel was a delight to stay in on a cold winters evening. Food was good and breakfast was excellent. I had room 23 by the lift but not noisy. Lovely big room with modern shower and traditional furniture in the room. Had a really good nights sleep.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

SallyPotter287, General Manager at Old Hall, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor. I am happy to see you enjoyed your visit to our hotel. We are in a perfect location in the centre of Buxton. We hope to welcome you again soon.

Sally Potter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We stayed here for a Saturday night when visiting an event in Buxton. The location is wonderful and although parking can be problematic we didn't have a problem - perhaps we were lucky! it is in easy walking distance of the town, Opera House and a large park opposite (and about a mile or so from the football ground - if any one is interested!). We loved the quirkiness of the hotel which makes a change from some of the more corporate styles that are everywhere. The room was on the small side but more than adequate (I reckon that if you are staying for a longer period a bigger room would be worth booking). There are some cosy places to while away the time with a drink or chatting and it has a very good atmosphere all round. The cooked breakfasts were good - the only down side was that I think someone forgot ours & it was rather a long time in coming. Again though, such a change to having one of those eat all you want buffet style corporate arrangements - although you could help yourself to cereals and juice. When it did arrive it was very good indeed. there were newspapers to read and it was a very relaxing way to start the morning. Plan to return!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor. Our hotel is in an excellent location in the centre of Buxton. The character is full of charm and character and we have two lovely lounges at the front of the hotel for guests to relax in. We hope to welcome you again to our hotel soon and thank you for your review.

Kindest Regards,

Corby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Overall very good, had Sunday lunch on arrival which was ok but not great. View of the park from our table enhanced the experience. Service was friendly if a little haphazard. Lots of character as you would expect for such an old hotel and would choose to again if I visit Buxton.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor. I am happy to see you would return to our hotel again after your visit. I would recommend for you to regularly check our Facebook page and website as we have offers running throughout the year. We hope to welcome you again soon.

Barry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I come to Buxton around 6 times a year for work and have been doing this now for 5 years. Of the hotels I've used I find the Old Hall the most friendly and comfortable. Staff are really nice, rooms are clean and warm and OK, depending on the room you have depends on how badly the floor creaks. But then it has character. I tend to eat out in the evenings for a change but the meals I've had in the bar and restaurant have always been well presented, tasty and good value. Staying in too many hotels has meant I rarely have a cooked breakfast these days, which I sorely miss, but when I have weakened the selection and quality has been excellent. I shall be back up to Buxton in March and will automatically book the Old Hall again for my stay.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back and on the first floor tend to be quieter.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor. We are always so happy to welcome returning guests. Our hotel is full of character and charm. We hope to welcome you again very soon.

Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for my wife's 30th with our 4 month daughter. It was great to be able to call and speak to someone who works there and not a call centre or an automated service. As a new parent I was worried about dining in the hotel but the staff put my mind a rest. At meal times the staff always went that extra step to make us feel welcome and make a fuss of our daughter. It is well situated and I didn't need my car at all while I was there. The room was veey comfortable and well laid out. We would definitely stay there again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
SallyPotter287, General Manager at Old Hall, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the future.

Kindest Regards

lincs, uk
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Hotel situated in surely the best position in Buxton, delightful parks and gardens just across the quiet road and almost opposite the Opera House and wonderful pavillion, less than 5 minutes walk to shops. We booked two standard rooms and they were both excellent, huge beds, tea, coffee, biscuits, magazines, lots of hot water and nice toiletries. We were on the winter warmer offer which includes a 2 course dinner in the a la carte restaurant, although off a different menu. We presumed this was starter/main or main/dessert but its not, its starter/main, i would have preferred a dessert with mine, this is an optional extra but not sure why we could not have the choice. Dinner was excellent, the dining room is bright and very formal, the tables were laid nicely with good linen, flowers and candles, but cosy and intimate its not. Good breakfast and would return.

Room Tip: Ask for a view
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor. I am very happy to see you enjoyed your visit to Buxton. Our hotel is in a perfect location. Our Winter Warmer is an offer we have been running this winter. It includes a 2 course dinner in the main restaurant guest are given a menu which has the choice of a starter and main with the option to add a dessert. If guests would prefer a main and dessert this can be agreed with the manager at their discretion. I am happy that you have enjoyed your meal and would recommend for you to check our website or Facebook page as we have similar offers running throughout the year. Thank you once again for your review.

Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Wonderful area,nice hotel with friendly staff and a very pleasant room with comfortable bed.Not impressed with the food though.Only had one evening meal.My wifes pasta dish had not been drained properly thus swimming in excess liquid. My steak pie was O.K but wasnt heated through.All in all the hotel was let down by the evening meal. By the way the breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor. We are in an excellent location in the centre of Buxton: the heart of the Peak District. I would like to apologise that you were not completely satisfied with your meal you had. I have since passed these comments to the restaurant manager and chefs as we are eager to see what improvements can be made and pride ourselves on excellent customer service. I hope that this does not prevent you from revisiting our hotel as we would love to welcome you again.

Sally Potter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
BEST WESTERN Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
The Izaak Walton Hotel
Peak Edge Hotel
Peak Edge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Stonedge

Been to Old Hall? Share your experiences!