“A good place to meet and eat”
Review of The Old Hall Hotel

The Old Hall Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“A good place to meet and eat”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Four of us were meeting up for the first time in 3 years; we live over 400 miles apart. Our friends chose the bistro-type bar as the place to have a lunch and a natter.
We arrived first, grabbed a table, and explained that it might be half an hour before our friends joined us. No problem was made of that at all, despite table space being at a premium.
Excellent choice of food at sensible prices, and prompt service once our foursome was complete.
A very pleasant place in which to relax, eat well, and have a catch-up. It suited our purposes very well. We will make it our venue-of-choice next time too.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
SallyPotter287, General Manager at The Old Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor. I am very happy to see you enjoyed your visit to our hotel. Our Wine Bar is perfect for friends and families to meet for coffee or light/main meals. We would love to welcome you again very soon.

Sally Potter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Lovely hotel in many ways but....a warning. Now, to be fair we were told in advance that there was a function on and it would be noisy - but if you book and you are given this warning do heed it and go elsewhere. (Or get a ticket for the function.) Our room was directly above the function room and the noise was way past the point even a tolerant soul could handle - especially after a lovely big tiring walk in the locality, the type you follow up with a nice meal and crashing out with a drink and telly. Good luck to the party goers and it was for charity but I don't think the Hotel should book the rooms directly above out on nights when there's going to be room shaking noise levels from beneath until well beyond midnight.

Room Tip: not one above the function room
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor. I am so sorry to see you visit was affected by the noise of our private function. We always try our hardest to ensure that if there is a function at the hotel other guests are not affected and we warn guests upon booking. I hope that this does not prevent you from returning to visit out hotel.

Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

It may have opened in 1571 so you would expect they know how to run a hotel, and they do. The staff are very pleasant, the food interesting and reasonably priced, and the rooms big and traditional.
Most people don't go to Buxton for a "modern" stay but in search of traditional standards, and this they will find.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor. Our hotel is one of the oldest in England and has so much character and charm. We hope to provide a consistently excellent level of customer service and I am happy to see you found the staff pleasant. I would recommend for you to check our Website and Facebook page as we have fantastic offers running throughout the year. We hope to welcome you again very soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I had the most amazing wedding thanks to the kind people at The Old Hall Hotel. My wedding took place in November 2011 (apologies writing this review was long overdue!).

Victoria and Jane (the wedding organisers) were absolutely fabulous! Being a bit of a bridezilla with a million questions, they were both nothing but nice to me throughout the planning process.
The price to hold a wedding here was very reasonable, especially for the quality of the venue, location and food you get in return.

What’s also handy is having the lovely Buxton Park directly opposite the hotel, which is fab for wedding photos and has it’s own band stand.

Although mine was a small wedding (total guests of 20! Just the parents, grandparents, siblings and best friends). The Old Hall can cater for larger wedding groups as they have rooms to suit any party.

The Green Pavillion florist which happens to be located only yards away from the hotel. The quality and range of flowers were stunning and having them so nearby reassured me my flowers would stay for longer not to mention my arrangement for bouquet, table décor and buttonholes were simply beautiful.

I received many compliments from family and friends as it was a special family fun day and stress-free as the wedding was held at one venue and catered for everything.

I would love to relive my wedding again, but going through my lovely photos taken by photographer Lucy West Images, has encouraged me to write up this review. I would recommend anyone to have a wedding at The Old Hall Hotel based on my experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank JagC1982
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor. I am so happy to see everything went well with your wedding back in November 2011. Our wedding coordinators are brilliant and enjoy working so closely with brides and grooms they can help with anything and have a great relationship with different companies locally to help you decide any details you may be unsure about. I would have to agree with you that the hotel is in a perfect location for weddings as the Pavilion Gardens makes such a lovely background for photos! We would love to welcome you again very soon and thank you once again for you review.

Stoke on trent
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We went to Buxton for our first wedding anniversary and had a lovely stay at the old hall. The rooms could of done with a bit of updating but the bed was so comfy. The staff were very friendly and we had dinner in the restaraunt on the saturdy and the food was beautiful, the best we have had in a very long time. We also had the cooked breakfast which was lovely. We were very central to everything and only wish we had more time to see more.

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor. I am very happy to see you enjoyed your anniversary. We are constantly refurbishing the hotel whilst keeping the character and charm as it is one of the oldest hotels in England. We hope to welcome you again very soon and thank you once again for your lovely review.

Kind Regards,

Peterborough
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Nice hotel full of character. Friendly staff and excellent breakfast cooked freshly to order.

Rooms were a good size though a bit dark.

Also ate in the bar which was good though not cheap.

Nicely located next to the park. We got parked outside but suspect this could be a problem at peak season.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor. I am extremely happy to see enjoyed your stay and found the staff friendly. We are in a great location as we are in the centre of Buxton: the heart of the Peak District. Although we do not have our own private car park we can give our residents tickets which override the restrictions outside. These are £3.00 and last for 24hours. Thank you once again for your review. We hope to welcome you again very soon.

Leicester
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We chose this hotel because we had planned to go to the Buxton New Year Gala and Dinner with two other couples. Although the website featured an offer over this period, it wasn't quite clear what this offer was! At check-in, I queried what was reserved for us, and was told that it was bed and breakfast only, although we could opt for their Winter Warmer (two-course evening meal). This we did - but what a disaster on the first night.
he main course had four choices, two of which carried a supplement, and one was a vegetarian - so no choice at all, really. One of the courses was fish, another was lamb, but everyone got the same vegetables. These were sprouts, carrots and roast potatoes. Sprouts with fish? The potatoes were reheated from Christmas, and were like rocks!). The lamb was 50% fat.
We complained, had a very nice restaurant manager listen to our comments, and promised a better offer on the following night. It was, and was 100% better. BUT the offer was for two courses for £18, and one of our party opted for a sweet but no starter, the others all had starters. On check-out we were told that the sweet had to be paid for, because the two course offer was for the first two course only! I ask you, how stupid is that? I objected, and the receptionist grumpily agreed to delete the charge from the bill. So I decided against asking about some rebate for the first night's atrocious meal, and for being charged extra for the bread - a hidden extra, which I think is a diabolical liberty by dining establishments. It should be made clear what is included!
This hotel claims to be the oldest in England, and its warren of corridors and stairs would indicate this to be true. The beds were comfy enough, and our room was spacious. So no problems there.
Breakfasts were good, too.
I would have rated this hotel higher than I have, but for the atrocious meal on the first night, and the receptionist's attitude on departure.
I doubt we would stay here again!

Room Tip: We had room 7, which suited us well.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
SallyPotter287, General Manager at The Old Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor. I am very sorry to see that there were some issues during your stay. We ran the Winter Warmer offer which was extremely popular, rooms started from £89.00 inclusive of a 2course dinner in the main A La Carte restaurant, bed, breakfast & VAT. The 2 courses included in this offer was a starter and a main course. We had specially printed menus for guests to choose their food choice from this menu. Desserts were on the same menu with the prices next to it for guests who may want to add this to their meal. I am very sorry that this was not clear and was not explained properly to you when you chose your option. Our hotel aims to provide consistently excellent customer service and I am very sorry that you feel you did not receive this. I hope that this does not stop you from visiting our hotel again in the near future.

Sally Potter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
Peak Edge Hotel
Peak Edge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Stonedge
Rutland Arms Hotel Bakewell

Been to The Old Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!