“Wonderful wedding weekend”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Marple, United Kingdom
“Wonderful wedding weekend”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We got married at Old Hall Hotel in Buxton in July, and stayed for two nights with various members of our party, including some very small children. The standard of accommodation is very good, and the public areas are particularly well appointed, clean and welcoming, however, it is the excellent service and friendly staff which set this hotel apart. From the moment that we began arranging our wedding with Vicky at the hotel, we were confident that the day would meet our expectations - and it did! All the day's formalities ran like clockwork and Vicky was always on hand without being an overbearing presence, all our guests were delighted with the quality of the food and wine, and we had exactly the kind of day that we wanted.

More generally, all of our guests who stayed overnight at the Old Hall were also very pleased. Of particular note was breakfast, and again, the warm welcome and high level of service received from all the hotel staff we came into contact with. This hotel is a brilliant, good value place to stay in an attractive and interesting town that always has something going on. I would always recommend The Old Hall for a night away, a gourmet weekend or a family celebration.

Room Tip: There is no air con in the rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
SallyPotter287, General Manager at The Old Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review on TripAdvisor, And may I also offer my congratulations on your recent marriage. The staff do try their utmost to offer a warm and welcoming customer experience and I have passed on your kind comments to the whole team.

Sally Potter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

I wanted a quiet relaxing break and this didn't disappoint. A beautiful hotel, traditional but not staid. Great central location. The food was excellent and the staff were friendly and welcoming. The rooms are comfortable and clean. Will stay again

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Lantipova
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review on TripAdvisor. I'm delighted to hear that your trip was a success and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

england
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed for two nights with friends as it was a birthday treat for our friend. We knew it was an old hotel but as others have said it does look a little tired in places. Our two rooms were on two different floors but this didn't really bother us. They were of a similar size and we both said the beds were very comfortable although our mattress seemed to be a little short as our bottom pillow seemed to fall in a gap ( room 37) .
Breakfast the first morning was ok but after seeing people have porridge ( which looked gorgeous but perhaps a bit to big a portion ) I knew I would like that this morning. We went in for breakfast and my husband and friends got their cereal and toast and I asked for a small portion of porridge. I wish I hadn't bothered. By the time it came they had finished theirs and we sat waiting for mine. It eventually arrived warmish but tasty. We then had to sit and wait for the cooked breakfast. Other people had been in after us and had finished and gone before we got ours. I had to ask how long it would be. My advice if you want only porridge and no cooked breakfast that seems ok but both seems to cause them a problem..Reception were very apologetic as I felt I should say something.
It is a lovely but tired hotel and the dining room and kitchen staff perhaps are a little tired also

Room Tip: Rooms are comfortable but a little tired
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank dukEngland
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I'm pleased that you found your bed comfortable and the hotel lovely, if a little tired.

Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We just stayed overnight at the Old Hall hotel in Buxton and had a thoroughly lovely time. Buxton is a very pleasant place to visit and we were very impressed by the hotel. It is large, very old and has a fascinating history, which you get glimpses of throughout (loved the lift!). It is well kept and well maintained, with gorgeous flowers bedecking the windows outside and tasteful furnishings inside. Considering the size of the place and how difficult it must be to keep clean, I have to say it was spotless. The staff were helpful and let us check in several hours early. The bed was very large and comfortable and the bathroom was fairly spacious and very nice too. I particularly liked reading in the cosy windowseat overlooking the pavilion gardens. We did not eat our evening meal there but breakfast was very nice, and the dining room was extremely pleasant. I'd certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: The parking directly outside the hotel is bit tricky - it took us a few minutes to find a space and...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
SallyPotter287, General Manager at The Old Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review on TripAdvisor. I'm absolutely delighted to hear that you had a lovely stay. All of the staff work very hard to ensure that the Old Hall is a lovely place to be.

Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed here for two nights, with friends. We arrived at 11.30 am, the receptionist was very friendly and checked to see if our rooms were ready, they were not and I was not expecting them to be but she was polite, apologetic, gave us a parking voucher and told us a few things we could do until our rooms were ready. Excellent service from her. When we did check into our room we found it large,clean and a good view over the park ( Room 27). But it was shabby, poorly decorated with the most horrid net curtains. management should sit on the park, look up and see how awful the windows look . I understand something is required at the windows and if it has to be nets , keep in good condition.
Breakfast was better on Tuesday than Monday - Monday there was no fish or fresh fruit or croissants.
We didnt eat an evening meal so cannot comment other than the bars and restaurant always looked busy.
Ok for a couple of nights as it was clean and in a good position in the town, but no more than average, mainly due to the decor.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank jax1203
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I'm pleased that you found the receptionist to be friendly and helpful. Our rooms are all being gradually refurbished. Hopefully you will return and see this come into effect.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I had tickets to see Barbara Dickson at the Buxton Opera house, having to travel from Liverpool I decided to stay overnight, the hotel offer a theatre break package, room, evening meal and breakfast, ted for the package and wow dinner served before the concert in the restaurant, with the option of completing the meal following the concert, we opted for that and had an excellent local cheese board and coffee finished off with a nightcap brandy as we relived the concert before retiring.

Room Tip: Mary Queen of Scots is reputed to have stayed at the hotel on our last visit we slept in her room. I...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Droftel
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your theatre break and I do hope the show was good! I look forward to welcoming you back should you find another performance that tickles your fancy! Keep an eye out on the website for all our current offers.

Reading, UK
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here whilst walking the wonderful Monsal Trail. Hotel claims to be the oldest in England and its labyrinth of corridors and levels would reinforce that claim. The lift is a technical marvel from about 1930. However, the staff were great and the food was excellent. The room was adequate. The hotel is well placed to explore the town and there is plenty to see. A miniature London bus (actually a converted milk float) is a great way to visit all the sites and have a running commentary.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
SallyPotter287, General Manager at The Old Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We are indeed the oldest hotel in England, a fact we are very proud of. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Sally Potter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
#1 of 1 in Stonedge
New Bath Hotel and Spa
New Bath Hotel and Spa
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath

Been to The Old Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!