“Let down by palace but fantastic alternative”
Review of Old Hall

Old Hall
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
walsall
“Let down by palace but fantastic alternative”
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

We paid to stop at palace hotel but was told we had to stop at No.6 Cafe Bar part of old hall hotel. On arrival we were given keys to The Dome. When we entered we couldnt believe our room it was pleasent surprise it was a house not a room. Stunning views of Buxton. Couldnt fault any part of it. Sunday morning we had a superb breakfast in No6 cafe. Thankyou to all staff for making our stay perfect.

• Stayed August 2014
SallyPotter287, General Manager at Old Hall, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I'm glad your break was a success in the end!

Sally Potter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Had lunch here this week & it was really good, so we decided to return for dinner. It was quite busy but the staff were very efficient .
The steak I had was extremely tough & chewy so when I paid I was asked if everything was ok so I told Samuel about the meat but he didn't say anything, so I emailed the hotel when I got home & jo replied almost instantly telling me call in & she would sort it, which she did.
Top mark for jo & old hall hotel!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dgosul
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I'm glad we managed to sort the problem out satisfactorily and that we will be able to welcome you back in the very near future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Lovely old hotel with lots of original features bang in the centre of Buxton, the staff were really nice - helpful and friendly and we especially loved the breakfasts! Good value for money. Would recommend.

Room Tip: Look at the access statement - gives really detailed info not just on accessibility issues but also...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I'm really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and have passed on your kind comments to the staff.

Trowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Spent two nights at the Old Hall on a walking weekend with my wife. Comfortable room, with a good bed. Central for the town. Hearty breakfast served and we didn't eat much for lunch. Enjoyed the stay and would book again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Keep an eye out on the website for all our special offers and hopefully we can welcome you back very soon!

Marple, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We got married at Old Hall Hotel in Buxton in July, and stayed for two nights with various members of our party, including some very small children. The standard of accommodation is very good, and the public areas are particularly well appointed, clean and welcoming, however, it is the excellent service and friendly staff which set this hotel apart. From the moment that we began arranging our wedding with Vicky at the hotel, we were confident that the day would meet our expectations - and it did! All the day's formalities ran like clockwork and Vicky was always on hand without being an overbearing presence, all our guests were delighted with the quality of the food and wine, and we had exactly the kind of day that we wanted.

More generally, all of our guests who stayed overnight at the Old Hall were also very pleased. Of particular note was breakfast, and again, the warm welcome and high level of service received from all the hotel staff we came into contact with. This hotel is a brilliant, good value place to stay in an attractive and interesting town that always has something going on. I would always recommend The Old Hall for a night away, a gourmet weekend or a family celebration.

Room Tip: There is no air con in the rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
SallyPotter287, General Manager at Old Hall, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review on TripAdvisor, And may I also offer my congratulations on your recent marriage. The staff do try their utmost to offer a warm and welcoming customer experience and I have passed on your kind comments to the whole team.

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

I wanted a quiet relaxing break and this didn't disappoint. A beautiful hotel, traditional but not staid. Great central location. The food was excellent and the staff were friendly and welcoming. The rooms are comfortable and clean. Will stay again

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Lantipova
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review on TripAdvisor. I'm delighted to hear that your trip was a success and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

england
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed for two nights with friends as it was a birthday treat for our friend. We knew it was an old hotel but as others have said it does look a little tired in places. Our two rooms were on two different floors but this didn't really bother us. They were of a similar size and we both said the beds were very comfortable although our mattress seemed to be a little short as our bottom pillow seemed to fall in a gap ( room 37) .
Breakfast the first morning was ok but after seeing people have porridge ( which looked gorgeous but perhaps a bit to big a portion ) I knew I would like that this morning. We went in for breakfast and my husband and friends got their cereal and toast and I asked for a small portion of porridge. I wish I hadn't bothered. By the time it came they had finished theirs and we sat waiting for mine. It eventually arrived warmish but tasty. We then had to sit and wait for the cooked breakfast. Other people had been in after us and had finished and gone before we got ours. I had to ask how long it would be. My advice if you want only porridge and no cooked breakfast that seems ok but both seems to cause them a problem..Reception were very apologetic as I felt I should say something.
It is a lovely but tired hotel and the dining room and kitchen staff perhaps are a little tired also

Room Tip: Rooms are comfortable but a little tired
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank dukEngland
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I'm pleased that you found your bed comfortable and the hotel lovely, if a little tired.

Sally Potter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
The Izaak Walton Hotel
Peak Edge Hotel
Peak Edge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Stonedge

Been to Old Hall? Share your experiences!