“Delightful stay at Griff House!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buxton
Griff House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 39 Buxton B&B and Inns
Venice
“Delightful stay at Griff House!”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I've recently returned from a breathtaking journey throughout the East Midlands, lasting an entire month and taking place last January, and I was absolutely swept away by a thorough delight in sojourning at the Griff House for five days in Buxton, a lovely and elegant spa town located in the heart of the Peak District which I chose as the first goal of this enticing trip: I am still nowadays treasuring up the vivid remembrances linked to this gorgeous property, and for this reason I deem indispensable to testify to the exquisite time I enjoyed in he Peak District, by virtue essentially and most importantly of the natural friendliness and conscientious care lavished on me by the the nice and pleasant owners Kathryn and Martin, who moved recently to Buxton in order to take over this property and to call themselves into question as far as the tourism business is concerned: and they succeeded unequivocally, providing me with an irrefutably genuine service throughout my stay and helping me out with an abundant dose of shrewdness analyzing and studying myself, since, unlike what they have probably experienced until then, I was a challenging “wayfaring stranger” travelling alone without having any own car at disposal and trying to trying to make the most of it by walking and by using public means of transport. Yet at the very early stage of the plentiful mail exchange I had with Martin prior to taking my leave to UK I appreciated that this would have been one of the highlights of my journey, because of the detailed information he lavished in pursuance of planning each and every day of my sojourn to perfection.

Griff House House is handsomely based almost 6 minutes walking (2 minutes by car) from Market Place, Buxton's main square featuring the elegant Town Hall and a couple of good pubs among which I could mention the King's Head, and, if you opt for catching the train, 15 minutes walking from the railway station: travelling from Manchester airport, in absence of your own car, you can make the most of the trip either by train (the ride features a change in Manchester Piccadilly) or by a direct Skyline 199 bus: I chose this second option, easily affordable at the bus station located just outside Manchester airport and linking Buxton Market Place directly by a hour and half ride; walking from the square to the property could not be easier, since you have just to keep on following the main street southward and, at the first crossroad, turn right down Green Lane, at the beginning of which you have already the possibility to glimpse Griff House. Notwithstanding my relatively late arrival and because of my being afraid of not getting the bus at a decent time, Martin replied to my concern giving his assistance and waiting for me regardless, and his effort to put myself at ease was highly appreciated. Upon my arrival I found the door left ajar and by entering I was positively impressed by the warmth of this house and the graceful and elegant discretion bestowed by Martin upon introducing himself. The property is based on a polished and refined house built in an openly Victorian style in the late nineteenth century, and consists of a ground floor featuring at its the left hand side a spacious and refined lounge area with a broad satellite television, comfortable couches and a well-appointed library, excellent source of information for planning your exploration of the Peak District; at its right hand side the breakfast lounge, linked by an open window to Martin's kitchen and office.

The breakfast is extremely tremendously delectable on the ground of the skillful cooking provided by Martin: a diversified full english breakfast featuring as a first option crispy bacon, savory sausages, eggs, grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, saucy beans, or alternatively, a so-called “Derbyshire vegetarian breakfast” with Derbyshire oatcake matching with the just mentioned vegetables. Prior to enjoying this cooked breakfast, a table is displayed with Orange, Apple and Pomegranate juices, a selection of manifold cereals (among which Kathryn's granola and muesli stand gloriously out), jams and marmalades, as well as mixed fruits and yoghurts (the strawberry flavored one is divine): doubtlessly the perfect way to take the edge off your appetite and to fill your stomach up in order to face incessant walks throughout the nearby countryside. It is important to point out that all of the produces and products involved are genuinely crafted by small locally based enterprises.

The room I was assigned, located on the first floor above the ground one, was superlative and provided with the most modern comforts: a powerful kettle, a broad minibar with a jug of fresh milk to use while preparing my daily cups of tea and useful in order to store some fresh drinks; an elegant tray featuring diversified tea bags, chocolate, ordinary and decaffeinated coffee, Border's biscuits, an additional bowl with further tea bags, sugar and sweeteners, Buxton's bottle of water (directly from the source of St. Ann's Spring); a hyper-detailed introductory book featuring information about Griff House, restaurants, sightseeings and activities in the Peak District; a practical baggage-rack, a clock radio device with I-pod connection, a manual shoe-polisher, a multipurpose bottle-opener, sewing kit. The bathroom is superbly furnished and the toiletries are high-level: soaps, shower-gel, body-lotion and shampoo are part of the Bee Kind collection crafted by Gilchrist & Soames and the fragrances consist of camomile, honey and lemon. The hot rail is very efficient and easily manageable thanks to many levels of warmth to select, the shower is similarly powerful and features a precise system for adjusting the water pressure and temperature.

Last but not least I need to recount two anecdotes in order to reaffirm strongly the genuineness of the amiability conferred by Martin and Kathryn. First off, on the second day of my stay I appreciated that I left the battery charger for my camera at home and upon uttering my concern they went out of their way in order to help me out firstly by looking for some similar chargers they had at home and secondly by making the most of a journey to Macclesfield they had to do on the day itself, so that Martin, after accompanying Kathryn to the train station could stop at some camera shop and try to find the missing device. I was very grateful for that. Beside this, on my last day Martin was very keen on driving me through the northern side of the Peak District by car, because (and he was absolutely right) he sustained that I could not leave the Peak District without admiring the stunning, breathtaking panorama granted by its dramatic landscape, and after that he was very kind in accompanying me to Blackwell, so that I could enjoy a long and enticing walk to Bakewell strolling down the whole Monsal Trail, an impressive, remarkable experience that I wish to recommend to everyone.

If you ever plan a trip to Buxton and the Peak District is one of the goals of your journey, treat yourself to a perfect sojourn and stay at Griff House!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Guitarinox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We stayed at Griff house for 1 night along with my sister & brother in law.
We stayed in rooms 4&5, both rooms were lovely, clean & contemporary with lovely toiletries & thick soft white towels.
Breakfast was perfect.
We would recommend Griff house for comfort & location.
We will return on our next visit to Buxton.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Martin G, Owner at Griff House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Hello Jenny,

Thank you for leaving a review and for your kind words. It was a pleasure to have you all stay and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Martin and Kathryn
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Lovely B & B very close and within walking distance to the centre of Buxton. Parking not a problem. In a quiet residential area. Fridge in room with fresh milk supplied is a nice touch. Nice spacious room with toiletries supplied in the bathroom. Great breakfast. Easy going hosts. Would definately return.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I researched lots of options in Buxton before settling on Griff House and I wasn't disappointed. Lovely hosts, spacious rooms and great breakfast. I would highly recommend this B&B to anyone staying in Buxton.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 February 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed for just one night at Griff House, and therefore Martin and Kathryn were very helpful in letting us have our room earlier than the usual check in time. We were not disappointed by the room which was both spacious and spotlessly clean - the biscuits and hot chocolate were a lovely extra touch!

The breakfast was absolutely fantastic - we had a full English each, and I also had some of Kathryn's home made muesli which was lovely. The sausages were exceptional - you could tell they were locally sourced.

The location of the B&B is perfect for a night away in Buxton - just a stone's throw from several nice pubs, and within walking distance of the train station. We took a walk to Chapel-en-le-frith and then came back on the bus - there was a stop not far from the B&B.

I wouldn't fail to recommend this little gem! Many thanks Martin and Kathryn.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laurenw89
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

This was our second stay and lovely as before.
Nice big well appointed room and quality breakfast.
You would be hard pressed to get better anywhere, not just in Buxton.
Easy to park and walk to restaurants etc
Highly recommended, dont look elsewhere, just book !
Thanks to Martin and Kathryn for looking after us.
Christine and Eddie

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank eddie846
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Stayed one night whilst I was up in Buxton for my graduation. I travelled with my sister and brother in law ans we stayed in the room that has a double and single bed. It was perfect for what we needed, the room was spacious so we didn't all trip over each other and was tastefully decorated and most importantly, nice and warm! We had a lovely breakfast the following morning and will certainly be back to stay if I'm up in that area again. Thanks Martin and Kathryn!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TaljaD
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
#8 of 39 in Buxton
Castle Green B&B
Castle Green B&B
#2 of 52 in Matlock

Been to Griff House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!