“Good food and fast service.”
Review of Taj Mahal

Taj Mahal
Ranked #37 of 114 Restaurants in Buxton
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Taj Mahal brings together world-class chefs to offer the finest Indian cuisine in our lovely Buxton location. From the acclaimed food to the opulent surroundings, Taj Mahal offers the finest Indian dining experience.
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Worth a visit if you're up for curry in Buxton. The menu is a little varied than you would find in the usual curry houses.The service is quick.

2  Thank Pinkaa

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Decided to have an evening out in Buxton for a change.We were feeling hungry and my wife really wanted a curry and we stumbled upon this place as we were in the Marketplace.It has nice decor,a sort of tropical feel with illuminated palms behind arches at the back of the dining area.It was a very warm sunny evening and it just added to the ambience for me(I dont like eating in dark places,some indian restaurants need a torch to see the menu)..Service was incredibly quick,almost rushed with the main meal appearing while we were still munching the poppadoms..This suited us as we wanted to get in the pub as soon as possible as we were running late but if you were wanting to linger over your meal you would certainly feel rushed and it could spoil your enjoyment.The staff are not particularly friendly but were polite and attentive...The curry we had was the Tandoori Chicken Kharai which was superb with fresh ingredients and cooked in the Kharai not just poured into one to be served(it was bouncing hot and sizzling away) We shared that between us adding rice,chips and a Garlic Nan which along with the poppadoms and chutney was ample with only a tiny bit left over(we cannot bear to leave loads of waste after a curry and always take what is remaining home in the proverbial doggy bag but as we had a train journey and night of boozing ahead would not have been practical) If I had to say anything negative about the experience it would be that a couple of the poppadoms tasted non too fresh(a bit chewy)and had probably been standing around a while.The chutney tray a bit disappointing lacking lime pickle etc but we would be being picky..All in all an enjoyable start to an evening out in the Tuscany of the North(as I heard Buxton described as by the posh bloke off Top Gear)...If you are in Buxton and need a curry in a hurry you wont be disappointed with the Taj Mahal

1  Thank sbilts
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The food is much more than I expected. I thought we would get a typical curry, but the menu is pretty extensive and you will find many new and different items to choose from. I had the danchak which was sweet with pineapple and a lentil sauce. It was nice to have something a little different.

The service is fine and I appreciate not being hovered over. A nice treat if you're in the area!

2  Thank Maureen A
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Staff that don't speak to you when you arrive, no friendly chat what so ever, not even eaten our starter and they were trying to take the plates away, as soon as they took the played the main meal come out, not a comfortable time at all, and to make things worse we have both been feeling Poorly ever since, will not be going here again!

5  Thank Nicola O
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Here again as the food is very good. Manager/Owner was not on duty and it really showed I am afraid. There is a 5% off when eating in for payment by cash. I knew from the last time that they would not subtract this from the total, unless asked. This time I again had to ask and the staff pretended I had to ask for the discount when ordering. Of course they did not say this last time and there is no such instruction in the menu. I suggest it is a bit of a sham on individual staff to line their pockets! Know for the sure the owner/manager who is very fair and honest would not approve...So ask for the 5% or just don't and leave it as a tip instead! Food great though.....shame the attitude of the staff always leaves something to be desired

1  Thank adebabe h