“Best hamburger meal ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Railway

The Railway
Ranked #45 of 110 Restaurants in Buxton
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Cheap Eats, Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Derby, United Kingdom
“Best hamburger meal ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

It feels like a Wetherspoons pub when you first walk in BUT, the pipes are cleaner (nice beer) and the toilets smell nice. First impressions and that! The bar staff are quick to tell you about good offers and when food is ordered, your designated assistant is very quick to reassure you and make you feel at home. The freaky bit comes when your food arrives. If I were to say this is the best hamburger we ever had, it would be the biggest understatement ever. I have never had a hamburger and fries this good in my life and that's the truth. We got exactly what we wanted and more. The funny part was when one of the staff asked if everything was alright. We didn't quite know what to say. Needles to say, we left very happy and returned promptly. Places like this are a credit to Buxton. Thank you Railway.

• Visited March 2014
Debbie W, Manager at The Railway, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Hi thankyou for your great comments I will pass them on to all my staff,we aim to get it right every time sometimes things can be wrong but we would always put it right so you leave happier than when you arrive.thankyou Debbie

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Mother's Day visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Ate and had a drink here today and would give a mixed review. Drinks prices are not the cheapest but ok. Ordered from the menu rather than the carvery )as we didn't fancy a roast) I ordered sirloin and my partner ordered salmon. The food came and portions were ok but both steak and fish were overcooked the veg, potatoes, sauce etc were all plentyful and tasty. I had a dessert which was lovely (although didn't come until after my partner had drank his coffee and I had to remind the barman) My partners coffee was meant to be a latte but it came in a small teacup? It also tasted more like an expresso with a foam top? The pub actually had a nice atmosphere and staff were attentive just the food let it down a little.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Great pub with a good menu. It was very busy with people taking the sunday carvery which looked good. We opted for meals from the main menu which didnt dissappoint.

Visited March 2014
Buxton, United Kingdom
“Good Value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

We live quite close to the Railway and we often come here for the food. The staff are very attentive and we dont have a long wait before the food arrives. Sunday lunches are very good, but it can be a bit busy on a weekend although we always manage to get a table. The 2 meals for £9 is very good value at the moment and the portions are just right.

• Visited January 2014
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Ummm????”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

Food prices are quite good for the area this pub is in but the actual food it self??? Looks great on the plate but was served cold, i mean some people like their food boiling but i like mine Luke warm because its nicer to eat but no my food was cold!!! I personally can't drink while i eat but my husband had a pint of beer or ale?? He didnt even have a proper mouth full before taking it to the bar and complaining about the taste. The young woman behind the bar just shrugged her shoulders and said "i can't do owt about it, you have bought and drank it now" Lucky one of the managers a bold man poured a fresh pint out and it was alot better. Service was shabby and the staff were rude and unhelpful, luckly there was a weatherspoons around the corner so we ended up in there and had a great meal and laugh with the locals.

• Visited December 2013