“Filthy, disgustingly dirty pub and service with a scowl !”
Review of The Old Clubhouse

The Old Clubhouse
Ranked #62 of 112 Restaurants in Buxton
Price range: US$4 - US$19
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Recently refurbished Local pub serving food from 12-9pm every day. Relax in the lounge area by the open fire place or dine in the candlelit dining room. This historic building is both dog and walker friendly, and encourages anyone visiting the area to sample our craft beers and wide selection of wines. The Old Clubhouse is the perfect place to spend your evening.
Hayfield, United Kingdom
“Filthy, disgustingly dirty pub and service with a scowl !”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This grand old lady of a pub is wonderful from the outside (or we wouldn't have went in) but once inside that feeling is instantly dispelled.

On reaching the bar we were completely ignored by the barman who had clearly seen us but decided he'd carry on washing glasses (about the only thing that looked like they'd been washed in here) until he could bring himself to bother with us. Even then his tone would have given the Gruffalo a run for his money. "What do you want ? ".... Er... let's start with "Hi there, what would you like to drink folks ?" or some such similar greeting.

Ok, calm down, calm down, take a (dirty) seat and table, mind you don't trip on the torn carpet as you go.
The inside of the pub is really special, but it looks like it's been (un) cared for by a serial killer, everything is too much trouble. I'll say it's consistent though, as looking out of the bay window
we noticed the picnic tables which were also dropping to bits and rotten with woodworm and green mould... we wouldn't dare sit on them.

Then the loo's.... It was like something that you'd find in a prisoner of war camp. Filthy walls with not so recent vomit stains left to fester on them.. the paint peeling off the doors but neatly hidden by years of disgusting hand prints.... the floors swimming in... well god only knows what. C'mon guys.... soap and water... a little paint... look after this old girl as she more than deserves it.

The food coming out of the kitchen looked to be reheated frozen stuff and certainly wasn't homemade. We couldn't bring ourselves to eat in here, If the pub is so run down then what's the kitchen like ? (I'm eagerly awaiting the "Kitchen Nightmares" episode which I'm sure is coming !)

There's a reason this pub is rated 81 out of 91 in Buxton. Instead we finished our drinks and went and spent £40 in the Lone Star instead. Go see what that fantastic place is like fella's and it'll give you a clue what you are getting wrong.

Never again.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Polar6565
Katie W, Guest Relations Manager at The Old Clubhouse, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Windweasel,

Firstly I would like to apologise for the issues you encountered on your recent visit to the Old Clubhouse.

As part of the new management team we are looking forward to being able to improve the customer service as well as the maintenance of the building. The building will be refurbished in the near future but until then we will be improving the over all cleanliness and service standards.

As you have said this grand building is wonderful from the outside and we fully intend to ensure that the interior carries this on.

Kind Regards

Southport, United Kingdom
“No better”
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Thought we'd give this place another try as it looks so good from the outside. Alas, another disappointment. I've never before been in a pub where you have to queue in a long line at the bar for drinks.

Last time I posted a review on here, I had a message from someone at head office asking for my email address so they could discuss my issues. Needless to say I heard nothing more, which just about sums up this business's attitude to its customers.

The pub, or its holding company, doesn't deserve to be in business. Really sad.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank StreetSnapper
Katie W, Guest Relations Manager at The Old Clubhouse, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear BD Southport,

As part of the new management team I would like to apologise for the issues you have had during your last visits to the Old Clubhouse.

We will be taking over in the next few weeks and are very excited to be taking over such an amazing place like you said. We are aware of the issues the Club House has been facing in the last few months and we will be working hard to rectify these and bring the Club House back to the amazing place it should be both inside and out.

We are very open to all feedback to ensure that we are aware of the issues so I will send you my details to discuss more.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Old Club House in the future.

Gerrards Cross, United Kingdom
“good for lunch time snack & dog come come to !”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

It is near the Palace gardens and we needed somewhere to eat lunch and we had our dog which had been a problem until we came across The Old Clubhouse.

Food was good but usual chain menu

Visited May 2014
Dear Mklijc,

Thank you for your recent review on the Old Club House.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit and we could be accommodating for your dog.

We look forward to welcoming you both back in the near future.

Katie
“Good pub good food and good ales”
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

They had a selection of 3 cask ales on tap and 1 real cider on tap and all were good the staff are friendly inside is clean I were there with my mum and dad we decided to have a meal there I had the wild boar burger which was delicious my mum had steak burger she enjoyed that and my dad had a steak and ale pie he said he really enjoyed it. All of us were happy with this place the next time im in buxton ill deffo come here again even if its just for a pint of ale

Dear Danny,

Thank you for your recent review on the Old Club House.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to us. The Wild Boar Burger is an excellent choice and defiantly delicious.

We do have a passion for our cask ales and will be looking to have extend our range in the next few weeks to have more on offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Old Club House in the near future.

Buxton, United Kingdom
“This pub could be one of the best in Buxton”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

But it isn't. The location is brilliant, right opposite the Opera House in the premium part of town. The building is steeped in history with some fantastic period features but the place is being left behind by competitors who have upped their game by improving the quality of their food, decor and selection of drinks. It feels like it doesn't have to try too hard because of the passing tourist trade and as a result, it looks tired and I wouldn't eat there so I can't comment on the food. The eating area is very scruffy in my opinion and generally smells of chips.

I do go in for a drink occasionally and always feel a bit sad for a pub which should be leading the way rather than resting on it's laurels. This was an exclusive club in it's hey day. I'm sure it isn't easy maintaining and running such a large historic pub but I've seen it done much better elsewhere.

The atmosphere can be quite good when the bar is busy, and it's particularly nice when they can extend the seating outside so you can sit by the Opera house during the festival and enjoy the atmosphere.

Pubs in less favorable locations are having to excel and innovate to survive, this definitely isn't the case in the Old Clubhouse which is a shame because it could be pretty special.

• Visited May 2014
4 Thank DAC_Buxton
Dear DAC Buxton,

Thank you for your recent review on the Old Club House, My name is Katie and I will be joining the new management team in the next week. As you have said in your review the Old Club House has the potential to be an amazing place and this is why we have decided to take it on.

We do hope that we can restore this amazing place to what it does deserve to be.

I would like to speak more about your feed back so will send you a message with my details.

I do hope to see you back at the Club House in the near future.