“Richard - Star of the show!!”
Review of The Old Clubhouse

The Old Clubhouse
Ranked #57 of 112 Restaurants in Buxton
Price range: US$4 - US$19
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Recently refurbished Local pub serving food from 12-9pm every day. Relax in the lounge area by the open fire place or dine in the candlelit dining room. This historic building is both dog and walker friendly, and encourages anyone visiting the area to sample our craft beers and wide selection of wines. The Old Clubhouse is the perfect place to spend your evening.
Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Richard - Star of the show!!”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

After a busy bank holiday weekend the restaurant was out of garlic bread and tartare sauce. After much disappointment a waiter (Richard) was very keen to help make up for the situation.

Richard made sure that any of our enquiries were answered or taken care of and he has the most pleasant manner I have seen out of all the places I have eaten. It is wonderful to meet such a rare brilliantly helpful and happy person who can tackle situations under pressure.

We paid for the garlic bread before we were told it was out of stock, so we were offered desserts in replacement. We also had to wait over an hour and a half for food to arrive and therefore were also offered a refund from the garlic bread.

Throughout our time at the restaurant, which was short of staff due to staff calling in sick, Richard maintained a polite and respective manner and ensured that his customer service was the best he could deliver; and in doing so he made us smile and our day a little brighter.

I would like to think that Richard gets noticed often and gets the praise he deserves; I will definitely return to the restaurant in the future and hope to see his welcome again.

1 Thank Rainbow G
Katie W, Guest Relations Manager at The Old Clubhouse, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Rainbow,

Thank you for your kind review after your recent visit. I have passed your lovely feedback on to Richard and the team.

We do apologise for the delay and hope to welcome your back to The Old Clubhouse soon.

Team at The Old Clubhouse

Wales
“Tasty food but a bit of a wait for it”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stopped here today after visiting Poole's cavern and having a wonder around Buxton. If I'm being picky the interior could do with a lick of paint and some new wallpaper but it seemed clean and tidy enough. I ordered a gourmet burger and my partner had the steak and ale pie. We did have to wait about 40 minutes for our food but when it arrived it was well presented and cooked. The price is pretty reasonable too; I paid £8 for a beef burger stacked with egg, bacon and cheese that also came with chips and onion rings.

Put simply it's rather like a Wetherpoon's or Lloyds bar. If you're looking for a straight forward pub for some lunch this place fits the bill.

2 Thank Lugtwm
Dear Lugtwn,

Thank you for your recent review of The Old Clubhouse.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and the meals you had with us.

We hope you enjoyed your trip to Buxton and will see you in the near future.

The Old Clubhouse Team
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“A welcome lunch”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My wife and I found so much to see in Buxton, particularly buildings, that we left it rather too late to get lunch in a restaurant. Fortunately we came across The Old Club House. Although it is only a pub their menu was quite extensive and they served food throughout the afternoon and into the evening. The portions were "large". The salmon in the Salmon Linguine my wife had was big, and everything in the Ultimate Cod and Chips I had was not only big but also extensive!

1 Thank Mike P
Dear Mike,

Thank you for your recent review on The Old Clubhouse.

We were delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit to us.

I do agree that the Ultimate Cod and Chips is a Challenge but it is a very tasty challenge.

I do hope you enjoyed your visit to Buxton and we will see you in the near future.

The Old Clubhouse Team
Macclesfield Cheshire
“Pittifull Bite”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I visited this hostelry on 17/8/14. The last weekend of Buxton Festival. I was with my husband and granddaughter Maddison who is 5.We called in for a light bite and to watch the football.
The atmosphere was relaxed ideal I thought. What a disappointment the food was. I ordered cheese and branston on brown sliced £3.49 for the little one no wonder she wouldn't eat it the bread was dry, not buttered, there was more branston than cheese a portion of chips £1.20 was extremely small.
I have been in the food trade over 30 years and estimate the cost of that sandwich to make would be approx. 30p I don't mind people making a living and I know from experience the food trade is very hard work. But it is even harder to build up a good reputation. This pub is in the heart of the bustle of Buxton right opposite the opera house but also surrounded by plenty of competition. What a pity staff cant produce a simple appetising sandwich. Instead we left feeling "Mugged"

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very average”
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Came for tea with a few friends as been a few times. Think the dining room could do with a bit of updating, food menu was ok with a few good selections. Order came out wrong with food and drinks but was fine as understand these things happen. Food was very average but nothing to rave about. Would probably pick somewhere a little better next time