“Not impressed”
Review of Staden Grange

Staden Grange
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

I went here on a recommendation but while it was okay, I've stayed in better places for less. The bathroom is TINY. No turning room and as you bent to do your teeth you were in danger of pushing open the door. Couldn't dry yourself once you'd stepped out the shower. The room is good size in comparison. Service needs improving. I went to use the residents bar and despite hearing staff clearly chatting about non-work stuff, no one came out to see me. I watched the tortoises scrambling in the vivarium, containing no water or food. The cardboard box provided for shade meant they couldn't get past and use the full extent of their home. After no response from staff after several minutes I wandered back outside and returned to my room.
Breakfast in the morning was decent enough, just had to request a fork and butter on my table - wasn't the only one either. Service isn't exactly fast and the cereal is geared towards children.
Overall while the room was a reasonable size, very clean and staff were polite, it plays on its location within the peak district. Next time I will stay somewhere closer to a town which provides food and enough room in the bathroom to swing a toothbrush!

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed 2 July 2013

I have stayed at Staden a few times now and have had great experiences each time! If its Walking, Cycling, relaxing, or even playing with the odd Donkey, Staden is in the perfect place for it all. The breakfasts are great and the staff are extremely friendly. It is run by a family and their friends, and they are extremely welcoming and helpful. I definitely recommend this place to anyone who is thinking of staying in the area. And if it's food you like, there are loads of amazing restaurants within a short drive! Alastair (one of the owners) will recommend The Royal Oak, I would take his advise! I have never come back from their not completely full and satisfied!

Room Tip: Number 5 is my favourite, big comfy bed and very little noise! The flat round the back is also extre...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Nearly missed the turning as it is accessed through an industrial estate but in a good spot for walking and sightseeing in Buxton
rooms were clean if a little dated in choice of furnishings. the bathroom also clean, if a little compact with a noisy macerator which kicked in with use of toilet and sink
Breakfast was excellent cooked to order just a little strange to share a table with the couple next door
staff were friendly and helpful booking us a taxi into Buxton for a Saturday night out

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Really nice, tucked out of the way hence very quiet & peaceful with owners that could not be any more helpful if they tried. Nicely presented rooms, plenty of parking and a nice wood to stroll around.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This was a last minute escape to the Peaks for the Bank Holiday and we secured the last room at Staden Grange for 2 nights. Many positives include the friendly welcome, nicely fitted out, well lit room (small shower room - walkers might appreciate a soak in a bath!), very attentive service and beautifully cooked and presented breakfast. Some lovely touches in the room too (tea, biscuits, slippers, hot water bottles just in case).
The approach through the industrial estate is unusual and the rooms don't have views but Staden Grange is ideal for Buxton/Bakewell part of the Peaks and you will have a comfortable and friendly stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed with a group of about 30 for 3 days ..... some camped and we stayed in the B and B the rooms were out front in the yard and clean and tidy. It was ideal for us .... our family camped and we Glamped in room 2 in the front yard. The breakfast was lovely and the owners offered perfect Service. We would go there again and so would all our family and friends who were with us.
Don't expect large and spacious 5 star its not what you go for.
The price was very reasonable.

Room Tip: Room 2 was ours and was clean well kept and more than adequate
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Michael B
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I had the misfortune to stay overnight here last weekend. The previous reviews and photos are a complete mystery to me, they certainly don't describe or illustrate my experience. This 'hotel' is accessed through an unmade track between commercial units on an industrial estate. First impressions? I will post a photo of the entrance that will speak for itself, its awful. The reception area is a disgrace, again I will post a photo. I was shown to a dingey room furnished with shabby old fitments and a door that didn't lock - that was rectified when I complained. Whilst a new lock was fitted, I went to the residents lounge hoping for an evening snack, anything, but they couldn't even offer a bag of crisps. Its a dreadful room, a dirty green fish tank on one side and a tank with tortoises in on the other. My daughter arrived the following morning and was given a room at the back, down dirty old uneven and damaged flags, she got changed and left, to the safety of a 'proper' hotel nearby.
This place should be avoided at all costs, it so badly lacks tlc. Hostels are superior, cleaner, and more modern in every way. It is the very worst place I have ever stayed.

Room Tip: Don't even stay there
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family