“NEVER AGAIN!!!!!”

Ranked #13 of 111 Restaurants in Buxton
Price range: US$10 - US$26
Cuisines: International, British, Wine Bar, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
derbyshire
“NEVER AGAIN!!!!!”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Have visited this restaurant on several occasions and it has got progressively worse. The owner has obviously had a couple of good reviews and it has gone to his head. SOME of the staff are nothing short of rude, insulting and downright ignorant. A major lesson in customer service would not go amiss here. The staff accused us of having ordered more food than we had and then tried to insist we were wrong when we refused to accept the TWO nacho starters that they insisted we had ordered. One girl was bringing the food to our table and when we said we had only ordered one another male member of staff actually shouted across the restaurant, "They ordered two", as he flounced past our table. HOW RUDE! They finish serving food at about 8 oclock I think and be prepared to be verbally abused and treated appallingly should you be 5 minutes late for arriving because they will let you know you are late and then rush your order through, complaining all the while. We were also asked to pay for our bill before our main meal arrived as it was past there 8 oclock cut off time. We complained about this but reluctantly agreed. However, in the meantime, our food arrived and then they still expected us to settle our bill whilst in the middle of eating our food. INCREDULOUS!!! This restaurant has way too high an opinion of itself - you really are not that good. Go across the road to Lone Star for a lesson in how to treat your customers. If I had the option of rating it zero for service then I would have done. DON'T BITE THE HAND THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU!

21 Thank linzoidDerbyshire

Haywards Heath, West Sussex
“Strange, but good food”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I went to Barbarella's partly to visit a place whose owner, if you read replies posted here, has anger management issues. Why on earth insult patrons, even when they are mistaken? He can't have been in when we were there. The staff – both of them – were friendly and efficient. The food was also much more interesting than you would know from the limited menu in the window.

Whereas most restaurants have a large standard menu and a few daily specials, Barbarella's does it the other way round. There are at least as many specials as regulars. So, instead of the ordinary looking salmon off the window menu, we had the blackened "special salmon". And very good it was too, nicely cooked with interesting vegetables to go with it.

They will even sell you a small bottle of sparkling wine (Prosecco), to make up for the fact that they don't sell it by the glass. The wine list is small but interesting enough for most tastes, with a few out-of-the ordinary wines, and at sane prices.

You have to be prepared to eat with your food on your lap if you get one of the many low tables. (We opted to eat upstairs where that is the only option.) But the comfortable armchairs make up for it.

You can get some idea of the expected clientele from the toilets. Not just hard dryers in the ladies, but hair straighteners. Oh, and no toilet seat in the gents. (Cue bad jokes about people from Essex feeling at home.)

By coincidence, we bumped into the person who previously ran the place as a frock shop. She seemed to be enjoying her food too.

Would we go back? Probably, but only if we can get a proper table. Barbarella's is a sign that Buxton is finally getting some interesting places to eat.

PS They don't like adding tips to the card bill. But that is fine by me. Cash is always better because it has more chance of getting into the right hands, and untaxed with it.

Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Surprisingly good place to eat”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I hadn't been to Barbarella's before and noticed them because I was being ignored [3times] at Pizza Express; so I walked across the road and asked if it was possible to eat and be out in an hour and 10 minutes. The waitress took my order immediately and the sea bass was fresh and delicious with fried coucous with fennel foam and orange puree--good wine choice as well. This was early on a very busy Sunday evening. So I returned a few days later with my husband for lunch and it was much quieter. We both enjoyed our meal and enjoyed the upstairs room--bright and well ventilated on a very hot day. Thanks.

1 Thank sandr44
Bakewell
“Really liked going here until I was turned away as I had my 4 week old baby with me!”
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

I've always enjoyed the food and atmosphere here, however, when I went today for lunch with my 4 week old baby and my parents we were unfortunately turned away as they apparently don't have a children's license (never heard of one of them before)!!!! Very disappointed. So don't plan to go here if you have children with you.

Visited July 2014
7 Thank V E
Portaferry, United Kingdom
“A culinary tour de force, Excellent food and superb service!”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

A culinary tour de force. This place is a gem right in the heart Buxton and a must visit when one is in the town. I had been here previously with a friend and had enjoyed a special which included black pudding mash with bacon and creamed cabbage. This time I fancied a steak and enquired if it could be served with this delightful variation despite it not being the menu. The front of house staff not have been more helpful and the chef duly obliged. The steak was cooked to perfection and the food presentation tasteful hence I enjoyed one of the best meals I've had on this trip. My friend Dennis who is regular in this restaurant introduced me to this place a couple of days ago and happened to mention to me that the owners of the business are currently on holiday. They couldn't have left their business in more capable hands. I will be back!