“A massive improvement on our last visit - Stay in the House!!”
Review of Cressbrook Hall

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buxton
Cressbrook Hall
Ranked #13 of 39 Buxton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 October 2012

I had booked this accomodation for my wife's birthday in July and unfortunately did not have the best time, please see my previous review. Following our review, I must say I was very suprised to receive a letter from Mrs B offering a complimentary stay in the main house and this weekend just gone, we took up this offer.

We had a very warm welcome from Veronica and was shown to our room. The room was split into three, the main bedroom, a single bedroom and well appointed bathroom. At the outset it was clear that we had a exceptionally nice room at the front of the house, well decorated, individual robes, double ended bath and superb shower. Excellent selection of teas and coffees and some lovely little homemade cakes were available. I walked to the arched doors in the room to hang our clothes to find out it was a unique small on-suite, a great idea had we been travelling as a family.

There was a wedding on the weekend we were staying and I do feel that this is the major source of income and does take a level of priority. However we were well looked after and the wedding did not spoil our stay, despite being informed the next day that it was still in full swing @ 1:00 in the morning.

There were still a couple of small issues, that has stopped me giving a full 5 circles. Sorry, but a couple cob-webs I can live with in such an old house, gives it character. However, and sorry ladies, but the Tv is too small for the room, and there were dead flies in the bathroom light.The superb vistorian radiator in the main bedroom did not work, but there is an electric blanket. But let's get this into perspective, did they spoil our romantic weekend, no. The house is so much better in my opinion than the cottage and indeed I would happily pay the cottage price for the house and the house price for the cottage. The only other thing and again do not let this put you off, but at breakfast we were not asked what we wanted, just presented with a full cooked English. On top of cereal, juice and toast, really did set us up for the day.

The house is excellent and I fully recommend staying in the house. Will I visit again? There are so many other places to stay, but I know that if I did want a good place to stay to access Bakewell and the surrounding area, in a quiet location with stunning views, my faith in Cressbrook Hall has been fully restored.

Room Tip: Stay in the house! Aunt Annies room sleeps three.

Reviewed 17 October 2012

We tried to stay here for my birthday and wedding anniversary back in July (see earlier poor review) and ended up in a cottage at a greater expense than the main house. After reading of our disappointment and complaints on Tripadvisor, the owner contacted us and offered us a free nights stay. We have just returned from a wonderful weekend.
We were greeted by Veronica who showed us to our room (Aunt Annie's room) She showed us all the facilities and asked whether we would like breakfast at 8.30 or 9. The room was large and decorated tastefully in keeping with the Victorian period of the property. It led onto a smaller single room and in turn to a large bathroom with a huge double ended bath and a drench shower. On opening a pair of arched doors and expecting to find additional wardrobe space I found a quirky ensuite loo and sink which would be very useful if travelling as a family group.
All of my grumbles on the previous visit ( no biscuits, no robes, no hairdryer) were catered for at the main house - there was even an electric blanket!
I was trepidacious about going down to breakfast as I thought the owner might be a little frosty due to our earlier complaints, but I need not have worried. We had another delicious breakfast and were sorry to leave.
I would certainly stay at Cressbrook Hall again (in the main house)

Room Tip: Stay in the main house
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Having stayed at Cressbrook on several occasions, most recently in September, our family is pretty well-qualified to comment, and we all love it. Highly recommended for anyone visiting the Peak District and wanting to tour around by car or on foot, it's really handily located. If you don't fancy cooking, or if you are staying in one of the B&B rooms rather than the cottages, there are very high quality food pubs in Great Longstone, Bakewell and Ashford in the Water - all within a few minutes drive. If you like good pub food you'll need the walking to avoid putting on a few pounds! A thing we really like is that when you're in the Hall or one of the cottages you feel as though you're in your own little private valley - the location and scenery are both really lovely, and the owners and staff are helpful and friendly and have great tips for places to visit. We don't actually live far away, but for us Cressbrook is an oasis of calm after a busy week - perfect weekend break material wherever you hail from. I've marked children's activities 'very good' - there are limited facilities actually at the Hall (though there's a trampoline and a football pitch) but if your kids like romping around in woods and by rivers, making dams, scrambling about on the rocks, followed by a pub tea and off to bed in a cosy cottage, you'll be in heaven.

Room Tip: The rooms in the Hall can accommodate families but have period furnishings - if you have young kids...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Tina W
Reviewed 5 October 2012

We all had an absolutely amazing day for our wedding reception on 19th July 2012.
Bobby and her staff were very welcoming all the way through the wedding preparations, on the Big Day and afterwards. We were treated very personally and as if ours was the only wedding that they had to organise! We hired out all of the accommodation on site which met all our guest's requirements. Although it was a very expensive day, as weddings are, it was worth every penny having it at such a beautiful venue as Cressbrook Hall.
Bobby came to the rescue with our Wedding Cake which got severely damaged on the journey up the night before the wedding day. She took all the stress away and got the cake back to its presentable self.
The staff gave a gold star silver service on the day and the whole thing was perfect!! Our guests thoroughly enjoyed themselves too!
Thank You Cressbrook!!
Theo and Kathryn Saunders.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 October 2012

The Hall themselves are beautiful and family run. We were met by the lovely owner Bobby who showed us round. We actually stayed in one of the cottages on the Cressbrook Hall estate as they are dog friendly. We stayed in the cottage Rubicon retreat, it was perfect.
The cottage was clean and beautiful, the views are remarkable over looking the river with a small patio we were able to sit outside in the sun with a glass of wine able to stare at the beautiful surroundings.
Not only was the cottage perfect but there are walks all around the Halls which are well worth doing.
We will be staying again.

Room Tip: Choose one of the cottages they are beautiful, value for money and dog friendly
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We immediately fell in love with Cressbrook Hall as soon as we went to view it. We wanted a wedding location with a wow factor and Cressbrook certainly had it! Bobby and her team worked very closely with us to ensure that our wedding day was perfect. Everyone was so helpful and the day was everything we could ever have wished for. All our guests had a brilliant time. On the day the food and service were excellent. We would highly recommend Cressbrook Hall and thank everyone involved for making our day so special. Kelly and James Mellor

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I stayed at Cressbrook for the weekend and found it to be a beautiful place for a ' get away from it all break' . The cottage was charming, clean, newly decorated and the views were outstanding. The scenery there really is stunning and you do get the feeling that right at the end of that lane you've found a little bit of heaven. There may not be wi-fi there, but the benefits of that is an uninterrupted weekend, away from the day to day problems of life! Step outside your door, breath deeply and immerse yourself in a beautiful little part of Derbyshire in the heart of the Peak District.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
The Old Hall Hotel
Rutland Arms Hotel Bakewell
Cavendish Hotel
Cavendish Hotel
#2 of 2 in Baslow

Been to Cressbrook Hall? Share your experiences!