“Beautiful house in gorgeous location. Service could be better for price of stay.”
Review of Cressbrook Hall

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buxton
Cressbrook Hall
Ranked #13 of 39 Buxton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 April 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a weekend with a few relatives to celebrate our very small wedding in Bakewell registry office. The house is gorgeous and location is really beautiful. I loved the traditional decor and rooms were really large and lovely. Only downfall of rooms was that they were quite cold, although little heaters were provided. We had a gorgeous bathroom with roll top bath, lovely! The lounge area is stunning with great views and lovely fire which staff kept burning.
I have to say the owner and staff were pleasant but not very accommodating at times. For example breakfast was at a set time which seemed to be to suit them other than us. I requested an earlier breakfast on wedding day so I could have hair done and owner seemed quite inflexible. We were offered a light breakfast which suited us but felt it was quite a hassle. Breakfast was served without asking what everyone wanted which was slightly weird. Again we felt maybe to make it easier for owner/ staff.
We were called 2 days before our booking to say drive was inaccessible due to snow. Of course this is not the fault of the owner but we did feel she didn't want to offer much help with our situation.
If you're looking for a gorgeous house/ rooms for a stay where you'll do your own thing this place is gorgeous. If you're looking for service e.g. Planning a wedding or such then be wary as not the most accommodating of places. You almost have to fit in with them.

• Stayed: March 2013
percelina, Owner at Cressbrook Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2013

Stayed on the weekend when we experienced the worst weather for 27 years. We telephoned to warn of the appalling road conditions, passable only with 4 w.d.

Our oil delivery had been unable to get through but we had sufficient fuel to heat the guest rooms, we also provided additional heaters and kept the fires burning.

Prior to their visit Lisa telephoned, asked for breakfast at a specific time and indicated her breakfast preferences.

We treated the wedding celebration sensitively and tried to be unobtrusive. The older members of the party expressed their thanks and appreciation.

There are newer reviews for Cressbrook Hall

Reviewed 22 March 2013

Stayed here last weekend. We hired a cottage for a few nights. As we entered, we realised the heating was off. After an hour it was still freezing so we called the house. They came down to see to it straight away. It needed a plumber so we kindly got moved to another cottage for same price. It was beautiful. Fantastic location, great views, fully stockd cottage. Staff friendly and very helpful. Great walking for dogs and pub down road.....about 5 mins in car. Had a really nice stay in hidesway cottage. Will stay again.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2013

A large group of us stayed at Cressbrook Hall for a few days over the New Year period this included 15 very excitable children ! We held our new year's eve party in the wonderful orangery that made a magnificent venue for that special night. All the accommodation was of a high standard and exeptionally clean. Bobby, the ower is extremely helpful and very kind ( returning left items ie nintendo's etc!! in the post). There is a perfect walk to the monsal head pub and hotel which serves great food and very child friendly. Around Cressbrook are some amazing walks with breathtaking views, some including tunnels which are great for the kids,but be aware of the walk by the ridge it's a steep drop down to the river and the footpath is very narrow. We didn't realise how steep the drop was until we looked back ! Cressbrook Hall really is a fantastic venue and I'm sure we'll visit it again in the near future.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We got married here in late October and only have great things to say about the venue, the staff and the wedding itself. From the initial visit with Bobby 18 months previous to the wedding day everything has been perfect.

The staff are extremely professional whilst also be very personable. Nothing is overlooked right down to the finest detail.

Veronica who we had the most dealings with is a credit to the business and dealt with any questions concerns or general worries that we may have had in a way that made everything feel so calming. Some things when planning a wedding that can get a little stressful were just taken care of without fuss or problems making it whole day the greatest day of our lives.

I do have the words or the creative writing skill to convey how happy we were we decided to get married here and how fantastic the staff are from Bobby the Hall owner right down to the bar staff and waiters.

Every single guest commented on the beauty of the venue and how smoothly everything ran.

I always try to be constructive in reviews and although I do not criticise unnecessarily if i feel there is something that can be improved i will say. On this occasion the only thing I can say is keep doing what you are doing. You take on a great responsibility managing peoples special days, ours was perfect so we would like to thank everyone at Cressbrook Hall from the bottom of our hearts for a giving us a day we will never forgot for all the right reasons.

Room Tip: All roms are decorated and furnished to a very high standard
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dan W
Reviewed 11 November 2012

I had my wedding here on 31/10 and was very happy with my day, my guests were enchanted with the building and its surroundings. The venue is exactly what i wanted nice and secluded in the heart of the peak district, perfect for a small wedding. Bobby and the team were helpful, although she can be a little stubborn at times, definitely a matriarch of the manor! Amy, bobby's granddaughter played piano and she was exceptional! so talented!

The overnight costs can be a little expensive, but for a special occasion like a wedding myself and my guests were happy to pay it and i have no complaints about the accommodation. We stayed in lower lodge and it was such a cute little cottage, loved all the original features. The cottages have had an upgrade recently and it really shows.

The food was lovely and well received by my guests, we had a hog roast and it was well worth it! Only slight complaint was the vegetarian option took quite a while to come out so some people were waiting for a while.

Overall, besides a couple of small little niggles, Cressbrook hall is stunning, the venue is family run with friendly staff and it really did make my wedding day perfect.

Thank you!

Lois & Dave

Room Tip: Lower Lodge, High spy and Top spot are the best options, although slightly more expensive
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2012

My son used Cressbrook Hall as his wedding venue on Oct 26. 2012 My family stayed on site at the high spy accomodation. From start to finish we had a fabulous stay. The management and staff were very easy to deal with and nothing was to much trouble.On the run up to the wedding they were always available for help and advice. The Hall itself and the back drop scenary are stunning. The wedding photographer fell in love with the place and took some amazing photos outside and inside the Hall. The wedding meal was beautifully cooked , served perfectly with none of the waiting around for the next course . The catering staff and waiters are to be highly commended.All in all a wonderful experience for my son and his new wife and all the guests.
The High spy accomodation was out of this world . Everything was provided even down to tea towels and fairy liquid.There was a good selection of teas coffee and chocolate drinks and enough cooking utensils to keep jamie oliver happy. The views and stunning sunrise over the hills were amazing.
The only small negative is its a bit hard to find but stick at it its definately worth the effort. I know staff sometimes read these reviews so thanks to each and every one of you for a wonderful day

Room Tip: They all seem good to me
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank geroffmicloud
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Instead of writing another review full of praise, we’d like to give you two examples of the professionalism, honesty and openness Cressbrook Hall offers, that makes you feel 100% taken care of.

We decided to get married at Cressbrook Hall despite having seen it the first time on a grey, cold and rainy winter’s day; that’s how beautiful it is. We were more than satisfied with the service and flexibility of the Staff and especially Mrs Hull-Bailey.

As it was a German-English marriage we wanted to implement a few German customs into our wedding and Mrs Hull-Bailey not only listened to our request, but also gave her very valuable input that stems from years of experience. Her insight when it comes to the processes and less romantic aspects of a wedding are extraordinary and always presented as a thoughtful suggestion. This way you’ll have _your_ wedding in a version that will fly by without any friction – so it’ll let you do what you should do on your wedding day: Focus on nothing but your beautiful bride or your handsome groom and savour every second of it, without a worry on your mind.

We bought a keg of local ale for the wedding and paid for it upfront; we also put money behind the bar that was supposed to be for all other beverages excluding the keg. Unfortunately, the staff at the bar deducted beer from the keg from the amount of money that had been put behind the bar, as it was forgotten that we had already paid for the keg of beer. I quickly consulted Mrs Hull-Bailey and she sorted it out right away, checked the invoices, realised a mistake had been made, informed the staff and promised me that they’d sort it out. Just like that this hiccup was taken care of – it never had the chance to develop into a problem due to excellent communication and absolute dedication of the staff to our wedding. The next morning Mrs Hull-Bailey approached me, went through a detailed overview of the costs from the glorious day before and explained to me how much money had been deducted from the money behind the bar that shouldn’t have been deducted and gave that amount back to me.

To me this shows just how comfortable and carefree you can be when you decide to have your wedding here. Even when it comes to the nitty-gritty, you won’t have to concern yourself with it much, as you can always trust in the unfailing honesty and professionalism of the staff.

We’d like to thank the Cressbrook Hall team for a most wonderful wedding.

Vielen Dank aus Deutschland.

Katie & Steffen

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steffen K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
Rutland Arms Hotel Bakewell
Monsal Head Hotel
Monsal Head Hotel
#5 of 6 in Bakewell

Been to Cressbrook Hall? Share your experiences!