“Perfect venue for our regional team build !!”
Review of Cressbrook Hall

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buxton
Cressbrook Hall
Ranked #15 of 39 Buxton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Cressbrook hall came very well recommended from Mick Earle from Wildtrack outdoor pursuits for our regional team build on the 23/24th Sep.The feedback from all of our general managers has been overwhelming. The location, self catering accommodation cottages and the wonderful orangery which we used for our evenings entertainment "murder mystery " we're perfect in everyway. The manager Bobby and her team were very accommodating and flexible with our special requests !! Thanks to Mick for a great choice of venue and to all the team at Cressbrook for a fabulous stay .

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 July 2013

We originally booked 2 nights in early June for a quiet time together but Cressbrook Hall surpassed all our expectations. Unfortunately we could only extend 1 more night or we would have stayed even longer! The location was perfect for us, the weather was stunning. It's a family run home which makes such a difference. All the advice given about eating spots, visiting spots and walks was spot on. They are lovely people in a gorgeous part of the world. We will definately go back and next time I will take friends/family to share the experience.

Room Tip: Call the owners as they will place you in the most suitable room to meet your expectations. They are...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank newtrekker99
Reviewed 3 June 2013

When my Husband and I were looking for a wedding venue, we wanted somewhere personal, intimate, and wanted all of our guests to feel at home. We had a fairly small wedding with 34 adult guests and 9 children so we wanted somewhere that would provide all these assets, and be family friendly. We searched for venues in the Peak district and came across Cressbrook. It was perfect! We went to visit the owner Bobby, who immediately made us feel welcome and showed us round. The Hall is beautiful and the grounds are stunning.

All the staff have been great from day one, Bobby was very helpful in advising us with tips of how to spend our money wisely and how to make the most out of the venue. They were flexible with our requests and hall was so easy to work with. I had no worries at all that they had everything in hand on the day, and any crazy worries/ concerns/ questions that I had in the run up were answered for me quickly and reassuringly.

We were fortunate enough to be able to get married in the beautiful gardens, the weather also held out for us to have our reception drinks and speeches out in the gardens before the wedding breakfast. We had hired an ice cream tricycle instead of having canapés, it all worked perfectly!

We had our wedding breakfast in the Orangery. The food was exceptional, we stuck to quite a traditional 'homely' menu, having apple & parsnip soup, roast beef dinner and Bakewell pudding. We had profiteroles as pudding for the children. The food went down a treat, especially the soup and the Bakewell pudding!!

The Orangery is such a beautiful room, that other than simple flower arrangements and some tea lights we didn't have the need to spend un-necessary money on things such as chair covers, the room speaks for itself. We adapted the living area of the Garden room (at the side of the orangery) in to a 'childrens room' which I don't believe had been done before, but it was a huge hit with everyone!! We lay colouring books and crayons etc on to a couple of tables for the children and put a small ball pit in there. The room was clearly viewable by everyone so people were relaxed that they could see the children playing happily, in fact the adults enjoyed it in there just as much!

Bar prices are really reasonable and the staff throughout the day were just fantastic. The day didn't go entirely to plan with timings (over run for photos etc) but it was all managed really well and the staff communicated us throughout the day.

The cottages are all great, we had all but one for our family and friends. The accommodation costs are a little steep but you pay for the worthwhile location so I would say is worth it. We made little gift baskets for all of our guests and put them in each cottage with nice coffee/ hot chocolate/ biscuits/ breakfast items/ prosecco etc.

Cressbrook Hall is in remote location, at the top of a valley. It has some 'secret' walled gardens out the back which are lovely, as well as a some swings, a trampoline and a football pitch which other than the gardens for photos we didn't end up using but they are a lovely option to if you have older children to entertain!

I could write all day about the ins and outs of our wedding, but overall the most helpful thing I could say if you are considering Cressbrook Hall as your wedding venue is go and visit it and you will fall in love with it!! It really is home from home, all of our guests have commented on what an amazing day was had, how intimate/ personal/ relaxed and fun the day was. We wouldn't have changed a thing.

Special thanks to Bobby and Veronica for helping us to have the most perfect day!

Clare & Joannes x

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Clare H
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I found this gem of a place after looking at many places on visit the peak district website. I was visiting the Peak District on business & as I had a long journey up from the south coast thought I ought to make the most of the National Park & stay on for a few days. I also took my parents with me who had never visited the Peak District, so booked the Wednesday, Thursday & Friday nights (24 - 27 April). The house looked lovely from the drive & the location was stunning. Bobby, her daughter & other members of staff were very friendly & could not do enough for us. We were made to feel very welcome in their home. Breakfast was substantial & well cooked & set in a dining room overlooking fantastic views. Normally I do not stop in B&B's - generally stop in hotels, but this was a wonderful surprise & would happily recommend this place if you wish a tranquil location with stunning views. A charming place with charming people.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We had our Wedding Blessing at a nearby church in Ashford-in-the Water followed by a reception and evening party at Cressbrook Hall. My husband and I live in Cheshire so we stayed on the Friday and Saturday night in one of the cottages. As most of our family and friends were travelling quite a distance they took over most of the other cottages on the Saturday night. Our cottage was lovely and as far as I know all my guest were more than happy with their accommodation.

On the Saturday everything went ahead just as planned and everyone commented on how beautiful the setting and the Hall was. The staff at Cressbrook did everything they possibly could for us and our guests. All the little things that I had requested had been taken care of. vegetarians, children, specific wine orders, seating layout, timings, etc., everything was just as I had asked. The food and drink was excellent and the bar prices are exceptionally reasonable for this type of event and venue.

The owner has been superb through all of the problems we had prior to the event (which included a death and being snowed in). In the end, we had a superb weekend with friends and family and everyone seemed extremely happy with everything.

Unfortunately, my photographer hasn't come back with our photos yet or I would have added some to show how beautiful the venue looked - especially as the sun came out for us.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 April 2013

My husband & I booked creesbrook BB for a weekend get away, the house is gorgeous and location is beautiful, the only downside was the decor of the bedrooms do not match the Communal area standards. Breakfast room is a lovely setting, the only downside was there was no optional choice on cooked Breakfast. Service could be much better to reflect the price of stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a weekend with a few relatives to celebrate our very small wedding in Bakewell registry office. The house is gorgeous and location is really beautiful. I loved the traditional decor and rooms were really large and lovely. Only downfall of rooms was that they were quite cold, although little heaters were provided. We had a gorgeous bathroom with roll top bath, lovely! The lounge area is stunning with great views and lovely fire which staff kept burning.
I have to say the owner and staff were pleasant but not very accommodating at times. For example breakfast was at a set time which seemed to be to suit them other than us. I requested an earlier breakfast on wedding day so I could have hair done and owner seemed quite inflexible. We were offered a light breakfast which suited us but felt it was quite a hassle. Breakfast was served without asking what everyone wanted which was slightly weird. Again we felt maybe to make it easier for owner/ staff.
We were called 2 days before our booking to say drive was inaccessible due to snow. Of course this is not the fault of the owner but we did feel she didn't want to offer much help with our situation.
If you're looking for a gorgeous house/ rooms for a stay where you'll do your own thing this place is gorgeous. If you're looking for service e.g. Planning a wedding or such then be wary as not the most accommodating of places. You almost have to fit in with them.

• Stayed: March 2013
percelina, Owner at Cressbrook Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2013

Stayed on the weekend when we experienced the worst weather for 27 years. We telephoned to warn of the appalling road conditions, passable only with 4 w.d.

Our oil delivery had been unable to get through but we had sufficient fuel to heat the guest rooms, we also provided additional heaters and kept the fires burning.

Prior to their visit Lisa telephoned, asked for breakfast at a specific time and indicated her breakfast preferences.

We treated the wedding celebration sensitively and tried to be unobtrusive. The older members of the party expressed their thanks and appreciation.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
Griff House Bed & Breakfast
Barms Farm
Barms Farm
#6 of 39 in Buxton

Been to Cressbrook Hall? Share your experiences!