“I wish we'd have read these reviews first!!”

Beauty Rooms at The Palace Hotel Buxton
Ranked #3 of 3 Spas & Wellness in Buxton
Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

This spa day was bought as a birthday gift for myself. Disappointed is not the word. My poor boyfriend was devastated.
So A group of 4 of us got there to find a very run down eeerie building, nothing like the photos.
We were shown around the areas we would be using. The gym is iggledy piggledy with cardio in one room and weights in another, saying this we decided not to use the gym because we didn't want to be split up. We decided to use the pool, Steam room and sauna.
Pool -very small, dirty and cramped. There was a water aerobics class going on so we went to the sauna. Which we didnt fit into as a group of 4 because there was already a gentleman in there.
We tried the steam room which was plenty big enough but mouldy, discoloured and just manky. Ewww
After this we decided to go for lunch. We were escorted to a shabby rundown conservatory and sat at a table which had a dirty table cloth and dirty cutlery. The furniture was all dirty ,shabby and very dated. Its very clear tht this room is for us voucher holding guests...
we all had treatments booked for 1pm and 2pm and as it took so long for us to be served with drinks and the starter (soup, verry nice) me and my boyfriend asked if we could have our sandwich after the treatment. This was fine however when we returned to the table it was apparent that our food had been left on a side as my prawn sandwich had become soggy and just mush and the crisps were stale.
The treatment was amazing we both had a whole body massage, the girls were very knowledgeable and targeted areas we asked them to. The beauty rooms were clean and very presentable which I would say have been added in recent years. The relaxation room could do with some new beds but nothing much to complain about.we pretty much left after this because we generally didn't want to be here. ..
all in all I would not recommended this spa complex. Its a waste of money not group friendly at all.

3  Thank imjustalilgirl

Reviewed 24 April 2013

The facilities are tired and strangely arranged, so that women have to go upstairs in the hotel (carpeted floor and stairs) along a corrridor into the changing room and down another set of stairs to get to the pool (tiled floor and stairs) instead of entering via the ground floor. The reverse has to be negotiated to get to the spa reception to ask for new towels, when you can clearly see the reception area through the windows in the pool area - madness.

Anyway as a group of three women we went on a well-known voucher scheme spa day. It was great to spend quality time with the friends but it was not a great experience. The common area facilities are shabby and grubby. There is one small steam room with stained white seating and one small sauna which seemed clean. The steps up these two rooms are disgustingly wet and soggy and appear to be rotting as they move under foot. There is a lovely relaxation room on the upper floor where we spent most of our time, chatting. The pool was hot and pleasant but quite small, five people swimming lengths tended to cause traffic jams.

We have two treatments each and my therapist was excellent. Informed, skilled and pleasant company. Lunch was tasty but soup and sandwiches seemed a little like cost-cutting to me, certainly not the indulgent edge you want on a spa day.

i would go again for treatments and to meet my friends for lunch but I would not go again for a spa day package or to use the pool or steam room and sauna. I have been to Spings Hydro, Champneys and Center Parcs for spa days, all of them beat this and Center Parcs was the best.

I give two stars because of the quality of the treatments and the relaxation room, otherwise it would have been 1.

3  Thank Lynn A
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My friends and I went here yesterday using a well known voucher deal. We paid £50 for use of the spa and a light lunch. It was terrible. Do not go until they improve their facilities. Firstly they overbook. We had to wait to use the steam room and as for the pool, we had no chance, as it was full of children! Not very relaxing! The light lunch was just that. The staff were very rude, or maybe just that they did not speak a great deal of English, we weren't sure. They did not ask if we wanted drinks as we sat down, as is normal I think. I asked for a jug of water, which the waitress brought after the soup! The sandwiches were simply made from normal sliced bread. Cheap as chips. No expense spared. Not sure if this is because we were on a deal or not. The only redeeming feature were the treatments. They were good, and we all said the same. The place is very dirty and in great need of repair. I would definitely NOT recommend this place.

5  Thank borneopost
Reviewed 25 February 2013

My husband and I paid £69 for a Groupon spa day, which included two treatments for each of us, use of the spa facilities, lunch and a glass of sparkling wine. According to the site this experience would normally retail at £113.15 and with a 56% discount I felt confident that we would be enjoying a quality Valentines Day together at a great price.

Sadly the day failed to deliver on a number of levels. On arrival to the fitness area there was dirty and disused fitness equipment left in the hallway and no effort was made to welcome us. We were given two towels (both of which were less than clean) and told that we would need to wait upstairs for our treatments.

The treaments were average but the female changing rooms were nothing short of disgustingly dirty and on a snowy and very cold day I was horrified that there seemed to be no heating switched on.

We then headed down to the poolside to enjoy a relaxing swim only to find more dirty, tatty and poorly maintained facilities. The poolside was freezing and the swimming pool was so cold that I couldn’t stand to dip more than a toe in there. We both conceded that we wouldn’t be swimming or reading at the poolside that day!

We then tried the sauna and steam room, which were at best tolerable and at worst over cramped and shabby. Old paint was peeling from the ceiling between the two rooms with some chips littering the walkway, having fallen off. Yuk!

I reported the problems to the young men on reception and they said that the pool was only 2 degrees colder than it should be and so it should be “fine”.

When it came to lunch time we were told that we had to walk back upstairs to the beauty area to collect our own glass of sparkling wine, as we had been told it could not be poured for us downstairs with our lunch. Lunch was poor as was the service and after finishing it we were so angry that we decided to drive back to our lovely holiday cottage and to forget utilising the poor facilities for any longer.

As a basic place for gym membership and swimming your hotel is a best adequate but as a spa day it is extremely poor. The changing room key codes, multiple flights of stairs, poor level of cleanliness, lack of heating and lack of customer service do not result in the relaxing occasion we had hoped for.

I would not recommend this to anyone.

5  Thank stevenandkate