“Good sized family room”

and 1 more site!
Alison Park Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
Reviewed 20 October 2007

Stayed here for just one night with my family. The family room we had was a good size with a double and two singles at a reasonable price. The room and bathroom were very clean even if a little dated. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful and we would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank theseasonedtraveller

Reviewed 7 August 2007

I stayed for 4 nights and was pleased with the outcome. Breakfast was good and the place was quiet. The location is ideal and I enjoyed my walks in the town through the gardens. It was also ideally placed for Poole's Cavern. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 July 2007

I stayed here twice, on the inward and outward days of a week-long walking holiday. I had had a disaster with British Airways failing (yet again) to put my luggage on the same flight as me and arrived at the hotel without it. The man on the desk, whose name I'm afraid I have forgotten, was very pleasant and couldn't do enough to help, even giving me a large brandy on the house to console me when I returned from dinner to find my suitcase still hadn't arrived.

There is plenty of parking if you have a car, and the town is only a 5 minute stroll away. The rooms were clean and spacious and the breakfast was good. I was very happy with this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank John E
Reviewed 13 March 2007

I returned to the Alison park hotel recently foloowing my previous stay, it was as good as i remembered. Talking to one of the owners/managers i mentioned some of the previous reviews on this site - especially the basil fawlty comparison. I was told that the hotel has been run by two couples, one of which (basil fawlty) have now retired. The hotel will now be run by the original couples son and his wife and daughter and her husband. Both of which come from Four star hotel backgrounds.

Already I could feel a difference in the atmosphere, more firendly and the enthiasiam of the managers and staff was really noticable. I will most definitely be going again.

Stayed: March 2007
Reviewed 27 August 2006

I agree with an earlier description of the rude hotel manger as a 'Basil Fawlty' type(but his wife was pretty courteous). I made a complaint about 'stale smoke/acrid fumes' in my room and he rudely said that 'it couldn't be because blah, blab, etc". I requested a fan but was told that wasn't possible either(to clear the fumes)very curtly. They gave me a smaller room and made a very big deal about me repacking my bag, moving it later, etc. After a brief exchange with the manager, I took everything to the new, VERY small room with an absolutely filthy, very old carpet. I took pictures of it for later reference. I looked for another place and checked out the next day. Why put up with a marginal, overpriced hotel with such a rude, abrasive owner? It was the last place in town for the particular dates and that's why I ended up there. They charge premium prices for a very average hotel. I should have rented a car and stayed nearby....will next time.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank SBC50
Reviewed 6 February 2006

We went to Buxton for a weekend to take in a couple of events at the Opera House. This was one of about 4 places suggested as being within easy walking distance. It was! An easy ten minutes- 15 if you stroll- along the delightful traffic free Broadwalk. We were surprised to read in another review that someone took 20 minutes- think they must have gone the wrong way! Our room was comfortable & warm (v. important in February), everything was spotless, the owners were friendly & helpful & the food fine- reasonable choice & well prepared. All in all good value & we'd stay again. Oh- and we rather liked the public rooms- especially the period fireplace in the bar.

• Stayed: February 2006
1  Thank OlwenChepstow
Reviewed 30 August 2005

I recently stayed for three nights at this hotel, during the G & S Festival. I got a special internet rate of 37.80 Pounds for a single room with ensuite shower.

I found the hotel perfectly adequate in every way. The room was small but comfortable and clean. The staff was friendly and helpful, and the English breakfast that was included in the price was plentiful and tasty. The hotel was indeed within walking distance of the Opera House as claimed on their website, but a little further than I had expected - about a 15-20 minute walk. If I ever went again I'd probably choose a B & B closer to the Opera House/ town central. But apart from that, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2005