“Buxton break”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Buxton
West Midlands
“Buxton break”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Just spent a bracing break in the peak district and stayed at the Alison Park Hotel on a Saturday night.
Very well situated for the Pavilions, theatre and park, great for a stiff walk.
The hotel décor is a little tired but is clean and the owners/staff very helpful and friendly.
At the price I would recommend it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Robin M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We arrived in the afternoon and the first thing we noticed on entering was the all pervading smell of stale cooking oil. Our room was equipped with 'cheap' furniture and fittings and done to an extremely average DIY standard. The carpet was stained and the bathroom was much in need of a refurb. Bedroom doors painted green - interesting! Advertised free Wifi but couldn't get it to work even in the bar.
Breakfast was very good and served by friendly young lady.
We won't be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BenBrierley
Cambridge
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed here earlier this year with a last minute decision to visit Buxton. We got what we asked for, a comfortable room with everything supplied that we wanted. The hotel could perhaps do with a lick of paint, but it is typically English, so our cousins from the good ol' US of A won't perhaps find all that they would think of as normal. So what! You are not in Arkansas now. Breakfast quite OK and very pleasantly served. Good position at the end of the wide path beside the very nice municipal gardens leading into the town centre.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The family room was lovely. It had a separate bathroom which was large and very clean. Breakfast was lovely and the staff made us feel very welcome. I would recommend this hotel as a relaxed place to stay. It ain't the Hilton, but nor does it pretend to be.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank CarolineCash
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I stayed here for just under a week on business and since have advised the travel company who work for the company to remove the hotel from their list of portfolio. When I arrived after work around 6:30/7pm I was advised I couldn't dine in the restaurant as there wasn't enough produce, so OK I had bar snacks instead. The waitress who served me didn't no what the selection of sandwiches was, didn't know was sauces came with the wedges and then wasn't able to serve me alcohol - great. After dinner I went to my room. It honestly looked like the hotel hadn't been renovated since the 70's. It wasn't the cleanest, there was a big lump of hair in my shower.
Breakfast doesn't start till 8:30 - the time I had to be in work, so they kindly offered to open at 8am for me so I could have a cooked breakfast. Very nice of them. However they got the order wrong, and I was the only person eating at this point. How hard can it be to cook scrambled egg and beans on toast? They realised just as I was leaving it was wrong - I couldn't be bothered to complain at this point. The next night/breakfast I didn't bother. My final night I was tired though so decided to go to the restaurant again. I was told again I could only have bar snacks as there wasn't enough produce - really?! Again?! How does this place function? Ok, so I was tired so I let it slide. I ordered a cheese and onion sandwich on brown bread - 30 minutes later it arrived on white bread. Again I couldn't be bothered complaining, until I found a hair in it and then I got really annoyed.
So many other options to stay in Buxton, which I discovered the over the next few weeks, so don't stay here. Check out for me revolved round me leaving them a note and the keys to say I had gone, there was no one around when I left, still in bed I think!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank TripMember01282016
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2013

The Alison Park is just what it says it is - 'AA ** Small Hotel' and it's very good at it. It is family run hotel, wholly unpretentious, comfortable, serves good food and the staff are friendly and helpful without being 'matey'. The rooms are pretty basic but comfortable, adequate to our needs and some have level entry shower suitable for disabled. The location is good for both the Pavilion Gardens/ Opera House and the town centre - and it's quiet. If the car park is full there is plenty of street parking immediately outside the entrance. As far as wheelchair access is concerned it is by far the best hotel in the town and as long as you aren't looking for the services of a **** hotel then in my experience (and we've been there several times and recommended it to friends) you'll be very lucky to find better value for money.

Room Tip: My choice is limited by wheelchair accessibility, but I doubt if they have an 'bad' rooms
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Paul F
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2013

What a lovely time was had by all.
Wonderful food and friendly staff. The young waiter staff were delightful. My bed was just as I like it and we were warm in the absence of summer.
So useful having the Pavilion Gardens, Opera House and town centre so close as were all of a certain age. Lovely to have a family run 2 nd generation Hotel.
We hope to return sometime.

Room Tip: I can only speak for my room 104 We were in a twin at the roadside of the hotel but it was very qui...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Debbie M
sarawoj, Manager at Alison Park Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
I am so glad your enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you all again. What a fun group you all were, I am glad a put in a special request for the weather. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel.